Tips and advice to thrive in Belgium

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Belgium?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Belgium?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

First and foremost: do a bit of research on the local culture, then observe local people and how they interact with one another.

Second: learn the language as soon as you possibly can. do not procrastinate on this!

Third: join groups with similar interests as yours i.e. art groups, sport club, etc.

Get out and meet people: in the shops, at your workplace, at school...

Listen to local news on TV or radio even if you do not understand the language yet. familiarization is key. and you'll find out there are a lot of words they use that are comparable to english or spanish.

Last but not least: smile, even if you have no clue what they're talking about.

Thank you for the the informations... I have been in Belgium for five months so far so good.... The only obstacle is the language whether Dutch or French.... My English is pretty good but the problem is the time... To speak the language like local people you need one or two years and here in Belgium let's face it to find a decent good job you need to speak their language.... I have an experience in Aviation for five years (flight attendant) and here French or Dutch is a must to join.... In short am trying my best to learn the language as much as I can in school...

Best regards ✌😉
Nart

How I thrive in Belgium.

The first thing I did is to learn the language and speaks with  the locals.
I regularly read their newspaper even if i didn't understand everything.   Keep watching their
TV programmes to understand better their way of life.  I also learned their food culture.  What they eat in a regular basis and that's potatoes, not rice, not pasta nor couscous.

I experienced that the real Belgians prefer to be with you if you could speak like them and try to be like them. If you couldn't communicate well with them then there is a problem. 

It took time before i feel i am accepted by the locals specially if you have a different skin colour like me.
In the beginning i felt really bad because they're not so open to everyone.  They could judge you quickly.  But the moment they know you and they see you do like them then you're a part of the family.

Hope am able to help you with this.  Good Luck!!! :)