New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hello, I recently joined. I am a call center consultant and a trainer. I am based in Karachi, Pakistan. I have lived in USA, UK, Saudi Arabia and now in Pakistan.

I want to know how to form a company and work for my company in Cancun, Mexico?

Thank you

Buenas noches from Chiang Mai Thailand. American gent will soon be relocating to Ajijic/Chapala, Jalisco area for a period of time (several months to....forever), after stops in Mexico City and Guadalajara, starting in March, 2016. Writer of the blog newnationstheexpatexpereince.com. Having lived in Texas, Arizona and California I have spent time in both the border, interior and coastal areas of Mexico. There is SO much more to see of the country, however and I look forward to expanding my horizons.

Anyone got advice were to stop for night between Tijuana and. Cabo when driving down. Looking for clean and safe.

Hello I just joined the forum today. I am interested in learning more about possibility of relocating to Playa del Carmen. Thanks.

Hola companeros

Just retiring to Los Barriles. Need to find a fishing buddy. I don't have a boat but I have a pole.

Dane

Ensenada is the logical choice and where many people stay in the same situation. It has a ton of decent to lovely hotels so you'd need to look them up and select based on reviews and price range.

I am moving to San Miguel full time and will be interested in finding a new home but also new friends
I am a single business woman who is retiring from over 35 years in real estate
I love to paint and making creative clothing and jewelry. 
SM seems to be a good fit for me
Kate

@devryimax
Get a lawyer, tell them what you want to do and let them do the paperwork etc... Trying to do it yourself will end with despair.

It is very easy to form a company in Mexico.

New to this forum. I hope its not just another fishing tool used to try and sell me something. I am looking to share information about living permanently in Mexico. I am in the process of getting my permanent residence papers. The damn laws change frequently.  I am still looking for a tutor or instruction in spanish language here in Mexicali area.  I love the people, the music and the food.  Would like to find out if its possible to take delivery of a new car in Mexico that has been purchased from a US dealer.  I want the Mexican National plate.  Trying to avoid my having to IMPORT a US auto. Health insurance. I keep hearing US ex pats are able to obtain Mexican National health insurance.  Most problems I have all ready solved. A support group would be nice. Thank you

dd4short wrote:

New to this forum. I hope its not just another fishing tool used to try and sell me something. I am looking to share information about living permanently in Mexico. I am in the process of getting my permanent residence papers. The damn laws change frequently.  I am still looking for a tutor or instruction in spanish language here in Mexicali area.  I love the people, the music and the food.  Would like to find out if its possible to take delivery of a new car in Mexico that has been purchased from a US dealer.  I want the Mexican National plate.  Trying to avoid my having to IMPORT a US auto. Health insurance. I keep hearing US ex pats are able to obtain Mexican National health insurance.  Most problems I have all ready solved. A support group would be nice. Thank you

Are you getting a Residente Permanente?
Once you get that you are not allowed to own a car imported from the US as far as I know.

Yes I am still sorting out the perment residence stuff. Sounds like the good to know information I am looking for.  I bought a building lot from my wifes family and have built a house.  There is soooo much grey area between what is needed, what ya can get away with and what is legal. The mexican border states have items that the interior mexican states do not use.  So I have to double check everything.  Wouldnt it be nice to NOT have to be an expert on everything.. thanks again...Bob & Tina

I am not going to be in the U.S. long enough to jump through all the hoops necessary for a long-term residence visa so will make do with the 180 days tourist visas renewable with a couple days out of the country. Has anyone had experience in doing this for an extended period of time without issues?

Your wife is Mexican?  she can own a US made car.

Well Stephen, I lived for almost 3 years with the 180 day visas , so you can do it. They can get pretty sticky on the Belize end, but otherwise it works. It just gets tiresome and expensive after awhile depending on what part of Mexico you are going back and forth to.  I became permanent last October. The process was tedious but doable, and I'm glad I did it.  That 180 days isn't a rough estimate but a fixed time they make an issue about, especially if you have a U.S. car which I did , that was a horror story all by it's self.

Thanks. My hope is to do this for at least the first year to see if I want to pursue a longer-term commitment. Do I understand correctly that one needs to do all the processing for a long-term residency visa from within their home country? I'm guessing that would necessitate a visit back to the U.S. of at least two weeks to complete, correct?

My partner and I (she has also registered with her own account and will likely introduce herself at some point) are planning a move to Merida or surrounding areas. We are very much taking a leap of faith, both in each other and in this move.

I have only ever been to Mexican border towns and all of my visits were back in the late 1980s. She has only flown in to some of the tourist areas (i.e. Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc.) Neither of us has ever been to the interior of Mexico. We both have been studying Spanish and are functional at a survival/small talk level but not conversational. We expect that to come with immersion and study.

That said, our move together is 95% certain. Unless we just find something that takes us completely by surprise it should begin within 2-3 months and be part-time at first but transitioning to full time as quickly as circumstances and resources allow.

We will be visiting on vacation in March then plan on returning for a house-hunting trip in late May. We'd like to find an inexpensive long-term rental that we can hold onto even as we still live primarily in the US and make all the logistical arrangements for our move.

I am only 48 and she is 52 so we are far from "retirement" by US standards. We are not independently wealthy so we'll need to maintain an income to support ourselves. We both also have children in college and provide some financial support to them.

The decision to settle in or around Merida came after extensive research. At least as much as can be done online without actually visiting a place. Between us, we researched nearly 4 dozen potential relocation destinations. Most of those were in Central and South America but we also looked at parts of Europe and Asia as well. I created a spreadsheet with approximately 50 different quality of life considerations. These ranged from climate to cost of living to accessibility to the US to local culture to income potential to ease of gaining citizenship and so much more.

While we prefer mid-80s F, we both are more tolerant to heat than most and can deal with occasional heat waves. More than anything, we want a climate that is not cold. Anything below 60 F is pretty cold in our book and above 70 F is much better.

We'd love to cultivate at least a small social circle even before we arrive. Most of all, it would be great to get answers to questions (i.e. what is mail service like in Merida), guidance on neighborhoods to check out or avoid and even a heads up on places available for rent that we might not otherwise know about.

Jeff

Rather than add on to an already long post, I'm adding this reply as a way of adding even more detail. This will be primarily about my hobbies and interests. Where Gwen and I share an interest, I will note that but will primarily leave it to her to speak for herself with her own post(s).

I have written and published five books to date. All are nonfiction, how-to type books. Upon our arrival and settling in, I will likely donate copies of all my books to the Merida English Library as part of introducing ourselves to the community.

Two of my books are photography related and I have been teaching photography workshops for the past 7 years. My workshops are mainly for beginners who simply want to better understand all the buttons and settings on their cameras.

Last year I took a teaching course and got my TEFL teaching certificate. I have been teaching and tutoring a wide range of topics for pretty much my whole adult life. Remedial English, math, MS Excel (which was the topic of my 5th book), statistics, Chinese language and more.

I am in my 6th year of participation in the sport of women's roller derby. I am a certified skating referee and have worked with skaters from all over the world. (I've already reached out to the team in Merida and will likely have some sort of involvement with them.)

Both Gwen and I are relentlessly positive, optimistic people. We have a low tolerance for negativity.

We also both are vegetarian, though not Nazis about it. We're excellent cooks and enjoy doing it. We tend toward healthy, wholesome eating and like to grow some of our own food. What we don't grow ourselves, we lean toward organic, local and sustainable.

Gwen is a reiki master and has introduced me to a whole new realm of spiritual enlightenment through things like reiki, meditation, crystalology and the like.

I own a two-person kayak that we intend to bring to Mexico. We both also snorkel, bike, hike and generally prefer to remain more active than sedentary. Though neither of us has any interest in extreme sports or anything along the lines of fishing or hunting. Active can also mean dancing, visiting museums, attending concerts/plays, etc. We love all of that!

I worked for 12 years as a Chinese translator and, as noted above, have tutored others in Chinese. We both have been studying Spanish for several months. I grew up in New Mexico so it is already somewhat familiar and natural to me, though I'm far from proficient at it yet!

My current day job has me working as a computer professional, administering Citrix server farms. I also work extensively with personal computers, both Mac and PC. One of our ventures together is a charity we founded in which we take old computers that have been donated to us (i.e. the charity), fix them up and re-donate them to home-bound adults who would otherwise have no easy means of communicating with the world outside their own homes. Related to the topic of being both a teacher at heart and a computer professional by trade, I also teach workshops to help people get more from their computers.

I may pursue some, none or all of these interests while in Mexico. I'm sharing simply as a way of letting others know a bit more about me.

Andrea Miranda O'Brien
I was born in Mexico City, moved to Guadalajara as a teen ager and lived there until I graduated from college. I went to Boston Massachusetts to do a masters degree in business administration where I met my husband, started a family and have been here until now. I fully enjoy Boston but I don't like the weather and I want to retire in a warm place with pristine beaches and an active community.
I am very familiar with areas in Mexico like Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara and other cute towns that are not well known but people might like to retire to.
I'll be happy to share information. I am starting to write bogs about that.

Hi everyone,

Welcome to all newcomers of the Mexico forum  :happy:

@ Andrea, feel free to participate on the threads of the Mexico forum and to add your blog in the Blogs from expats in Mexico section when you are ready. By the way, you can also have a look at the other members' blogs, could be interesting  :)

All the very best
Bhavna

Bhavna,
Thank you for you note and I look forward to connecting and learning from other members of the group.
I only have one article and will be posting more. I´m about to visit Mexico next week and I hope to get interesting topics to talk about. Any suggestions are welcome.
You can find my blog on

experiencinglife.info

Re Hi Andrea,

Maybe these few threads among others :

- Essentials to live in Mexico

- Tips and advice to thrive in Mexico

- Best cities to live in Mexico

- Weekend trip from Guanajuato to Zacatecas

Cheers  :)
Bhavna

The blog is so new that without the link, you'll need to type the full address in order to find it.

experiencinglife.info.

Thank's

Hi Lonecowboy here
I'm currently in Ecuador and planning to live in Manzanillo area of Colima state the first week in June. I would like to rent for a month or two there'
Any advice out there. ?
Would like to know costs there; rent(single), house ,flat ?? Food etc.
Can a person survive there on $800 US per month? (Cdn.Pensioner)
Any and all 'advice' will be appreciated.

Well RStephenB,

If you are talking about a temporary visa for a more long term stay, yes you do have to initiate that process in the U.S. at a Mx. Consulate.   If you have all the required documents, , it can take far less than a week. I was done in a long day, and that was last October.   You can call them to ask what you need. It's always better to ask them, because things change.

When you have completed that process and returned to Mexico you will have a 30 day visa and would need to complete the remainder of the process at a INM office in the city you are staying in.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576151

Thanks!

Closed