New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourself here – 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Colombia forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Colombia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hi, My name is Christine and I just accepted a teaching position in Pereira, Colombia. I'm excited and nervous. One question I have is I would like to bring my 10 lb dog wiith me. Is it hard having a dog in Colombia and taking it around with me sight seeing etc. Thanks,

Hi! I'm not precisely an expat being a US born Colombian -- though it sometimes feel like no man's land! My family is from Barranquilla and I come back to the "motherland" every few years--gotta see grandma :) Anyway I'm hoping to find someplace where I can hang with other Americans when I'm in Bquilla. This time I'm without my brother or husband and more homesick than usual.

Colombia is very dog friendly. In Medellin, I carry my 7 lb dog on the public buses and in taxis, keeping her on my lap and not on the seats. I do this to be mindful that not everybody will love my dog as much as I do or know how clean she is. In all but one restaurant, "Chewy" has been allowed on terrace or patios of restaurants, but not inside. Chewy is adorable (;-D) so we get stopped a lot on the street with Aye, que lindos. Have a wonderful life in your new town.

What's up Guys, I'm Ricky - an ex-pat Kiwi, I've been living and teaching English here in Locombia for 7 years.
I've lived in Quilla, El Valle(dupar) and I'm currently ensconced in the Fridge (Bogota).
It's a pleasure and an honour to be here (in Colombia, I mean).
Seriously though, it's good to be here too.

Hey I'm Floridaray. Moving to rionegro within next 60 days. Any help advice whatever appreciated!!
Peace

I am Gabriela, will be moving to Manizales with hubby and my 2 dogs  (60# and 8#).
Should be getting there Oct/Nov'16.
Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated!
Hobbies: hiking, running, tennis, photography, dogs, food!

Hey I'm Manish from India, looking to settle in Medellin Colombia. Any advice/ help / suggestions are welcome.

you need a visa to come to Colombia.

Hi here Simon based in Bogota the fridge been here for 8 years this session.   Did two before. Soon to leave to go to Middle East but have residency here and will return each year and new base will be Baranquilla where I will return to .

Hi, I am Glen.  Started spending half-time in Colombia first, and by 2017 will stay in Colombia full-time. I run service & medical mission teams in the Coffee Manizales-Pereira Region.  I would welcome your participation as volunteer bilingual assistants. It's a blast running medical clinics and service projects. I also launched MINGA HOUSE which is a guest house in Manizales. You can find it on AirBnB.  I love Colombia!  The coffee region is perfect because it's so visually beautiful, safe, super inexpensive, and hardly any foreigners. It's like a hidden gem. I love riding jeeps, riding horses, serving the communities very much in need of support and well am blessed. Hope to have you all stop by and join our efforts or just visit.

you need a visa to come to Colombia.

Hello, I am Manish Kotecha from India. I am looking forward for an investor visa in Colombia. Can you tell me the minimum investment requirement to qualify for an investor visa for Colombia?

Hi everyone!

I live in Columbus, Ohio and am hoping to relocate to Manizales with my dog & cat in the next 6 months to a year. I have never lived abroad and am nervous, but I am ready for a new life adventure!!! I will undoubtedly be looking for help to find housing, jobs and hopefully a few people to meet & have adventures with. I would love to hear about your experiences in Colombia as an expat and any advice you can offer would be very appreciated.

Cheers!
Rebecca

You're making a great decision!  Good for you.  I made the same decision. I am in transition spending half the year in the US. and half the year in the Manizales region. I decided to dedicate myself to running medical mission. I take American nursing and premed students and we have a blast serving rural coffee communities! **I am happy to introduce you to everyone I know to help you quickly evaluate your new home and life and find endless of fun and professional endeavors. Sound good?  Bienvenida a Manizales!  Looking forward to hearing from you quickly. I am in Spokane WA for the next couple of months, if you want to talk or skype.  Maybe we can even have you join our medical missions program!  it would be fun.

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : promoting your services on the forum is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I don't know the answer. But would you be interested in investing in a guest house chain?  Google MINGA HOUSE in Manizales. Track me down... let's talk!  I know the coffee region well, it's the most beautiful part of Colombia. And most safe and best weather and just awesome! undiscovered paradise.

Thank you glengalindo- I am excited but also a bit terrified :) I am not sure about my timeframe but I am hoping to make the leap in 6-8 months.

I will definitely check out Minga House on airbnb. It will be a relief to know I have somewhere to stay until I get myself sorted out. Until I find steady, paying work I will need to keep busy. Although I do not come from a medical background (my background is split between marketing/PR, retail management and administration) I would be happy to help out in some capacity if I am able. What a great way to get to know the area. For the past 10 years I have owned & operated a pet care business but I am not optimistic there will be much demand for pet sitters in Menizales- lol.

Cheers!
Rebecca

You will be suprised the pet care business is big here in Bogota and I am sure not much different in Manizales as there are many rich people who need their pets looked after during the day.
Simon cheers

Well that is FANTASTIC to hear! I absolutely love my job and being able to open up shop in Colombia would be ideal. I have heard that various cities are quite pet friendly :)

Minga House looks great but I will have a dog & cat with me. I would be looking to get into an apartment fairly quickly, so if you would be willing to make an exception let me know. Otherwise if you know of pet friendly accommodations I would appreciate the help.

Cheers!
Rebecca

Not much demand, no. Not for people paying you to make their pets pretty. You would need to be in Bogota or Cali or Medellin, perhaps, where you find rich people.    I do plan on doing a veterinary mission as well.   So, stay in touch. **

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago

Hello everyone,

Let's keep this thread on the introduction of new members.

@ Rebecca, i invite you to start a new topic with your questions on the Colombia forum for better visibility and interaction. ;)

Thank you,
Expat.com

Hi everyone,
My name is Constant, I´m from France and I will start soon with my associate a new adventure, here in Medellín.

Have a great day

Cheers

Constant

Moderated by Devo 7 years ago

Hola,

I'm french/Colombian, infortunately more french at the moment.
Howewer I decided to change that and take a first step to Colombia.

From this August 2016 to december 2016, I will be travalling in Colombia, in order to get to know better the culture, life and work as well, briefly getting closer to my roots.

To work, learn and enjoy, I am looking for a job in Medellin, Cali, Guatapé and Bogota.
Having experience in hospitality, hosting, medical reception, tourism and commercial business I am open to any opportunity. Even looking at free accomodation in exchange of handwork !

I am open to any advice, clues to prepare this trip.

Thank you !

There are dogs everywhere here.  Some malls even let you take your dog inside.  Just keep him on a leash to keep him away from the stray dogs.

Hi,
          My name is Mike, 60 years old from the USA.  Well I will be sixty years old for the next two says anyway LOL.  Im planning to retire sometime in 2017.  Im considering Medellin as one of my options.  I visited the city this past February.  It was only five days, but I really enjoyed my stay.  I know five days is a short time to consider a city as a place to live.  But Im still making Medellin an option.  I would have to return.  I stayed in Poblado, but mostly toured on my own.  I did see other areas, but really just passing through them.  I would like to return, hopefully meet some locals or expats.  Hopefully people who could show me more neighborhoods.  I was actually introduced to a couple of local people during my stay.  But they didnt spend that much time with me.

Check out the Facebook Medellin pages. You will get a feel for the area and the expats living here. Majority live in Pobado, Laureles, Envigado, in that order. I live in Envigado. These areas are very different from each other. Lots of English in Pobado.  Also, check InterNations. It is not extremely active, but there is at least a once a month group get together. If you don't speak Spanish. Learn it. It will make life so  much easier when you can communicate. You are giving yourself a year to figure it out. :-)

Hey I'm Ray. Been living in San Antonio pueblo of Rionegro almost 4 months and love it. Lots to do, friendly and only hour and half outside of Medellin.

Hi. I am Indian national but I have traveled to Colombia a lot. I can help you with some info but not job.

Add me on whatsapp ***
Nitin

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security

Hello,

I'm from New York. Going to Cali Colombia to invest in a house. I'm flying solo no experience in the real estate in Cali. Any recommendation would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

Hey all! I'm Georgia from England. I've been in Bogota for three months. Currently trying to learn Spanish and looking for a job.

:)

Hello everyone...I am Jek from Philippines and i want to go there in Colombia. Please let me know what should i do and i need someone i can talk to before i leave here.

Hola All---I just moved here from Cartagena, will be moving into my large apartment in early September. Looking forward to meeting English speakers for friendship, learning and mischief! I am a fine artist very interested in displaying my work here.    :thanks:

Hello,

My wife (Colombian) and I (USA) are contemplating moving to Colombia to spend 6-8 months there.

I am getting my monthly "government" retirement check so looking for an area that can give the biggest "bang" for the dollars.

Interested in the Santa Marta area...with clean air and ex-pats as I have a business idea in service to them along with teaching business-English there.

Thanks!

Hi Twys---This merits a conversation as I have spent close to a year in my due diligence process. If you have Skype, I would be glad to speak with you. If not I could call you by phone---the conversation might have to be a bit shorter. Let me know. Edward  [email protected]

Hi Twys---This merits a conversation as I have spent close to a year in my due diligence process. If you have Skype, I would be glad to speak with you. If not I could call you by phone---the conversation might have to be a bit shorter. Let me know. Edward  neddavis50[at]gmail.com

Hi Mike--email me when you get to Medellin ([email protected]). I would add Laureles to your neighborhoods to investigate: less density, feels more European, very up and coming now.....although I live in Poblado myself. I can help you with real estate company, or anything else you would like if I am able.

Hi Mike--email me when you get to Medellin ([email protected]). I would add Laureles to your neighborhoods to investigate: less density, feels more European, very up and coming now.....although I live in Poblado myself. I can help you with real estate company, or anything else you would like if I am able.

I do have Skype.

Edward,

[email protected] as well,

Tom

Hi There

I recently moved to Medellin from Phoenix AZ and currently live in Laureles. I was wondering if there were any Trinidadians living in the area?

Alternatively, i was also wondering if there were any Sun Devils here as well. Football season is upon us and would love to grab a beer and watch the ASU games.

Closed