HCMC during TET

My wife and I will be visiting HCMC Feb 6th to 10th and were wondering if folks could suggest a good street food tour or provide other suggestions during TET?  This is our second trip to VN but first to HCMC.

Interested in meeting people, local culture, history and art.

Thanks in advance

Jim & Shanley
Western Canada

Just walk around and find places for yourself, that's the adventure of travelling

jdnick wrote:

My wife and I will be visiting HCMC Feb 6th to 10th and were wondering if folks could suggest a good street food tour or provide other suggestions during TET?  This is our second trip to VN but first to HCMC.

Interested in meeting people, local culture, history and art.

Thanks in advance

Jim & Shanley
Western Canada

Hi,
   During these days, HCMC looks quite peace and not many people like normal days so its hard to find street food during TET Holiday i think. Hard doesn't mean absolutely no, you can find out small restaurants or food stores.
   You can visit Nguyen Hue flower street during that day to enjoy our traditional TET, it may have street food there.
   I don't think Museum or Historic sites will be opened at that time. (Feb 7th-10th)
   Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Just walk around , take alleys , any street , get lost . That's how you stumble across the real MCoy , try to stay away from the tourist areas

Thanks for suggestion!

We used this approach when visiting Hanoi a few years ago...and had a blast.  Any suggestions where we should start?  Staying in District 1...

Thanks for your help...

Just step out of your hotel and go for it. Ideally you don't want to do someone else's holiday it's yours, explore and enjoy

Hi, Jim and Shanley. I'm living in Ho Chi Minh city. I'm not a tour guide however I can give you some advices about the accommodations, trasportations, foods when you stay in HCMC during TET holiday. If you need any help you can leave message **

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of personal contact infos not allowed on the forum. You may use the private message system

We're looking forward to visiting HCMC and thank you for your kind offer.

We're wondering where would be a good place to view fireworks Feb 7th?   Could you recommend a good roof top restaurant or bar we could make a reservation?

Warmest regards

Jim & Shanley

Let me know which kind of food do you like, I will give you advice. Vietnamese food including phở, noodles, Hue (Royal food)... We also have good Dim Sum in china town, great sushi in district 1, good steak in district 1 also. Let me know your favorite food, then I give you the address. Our you can join the Vietnamese food journey tour in Ho Chi Minh city, very interesting!

Tan Hai Long hotel close to the Ben Th markets had a roof top restaurant that overlooks the main roundabout, unbelievable at midnight.

Thank you so much!  We would love to join the Vietnamese food journey tour...please send more information.

Warmest regards!

Thanks very much...we'll try and make a reservation around midnight at the Tan Hai Long...cheers!

Im pretty sure you cant see the fireworks from the Tan hai long, but ill pop in there in the next few days and ask for you

Please find information on the food tour in tripadvisor.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Ho-Chi-Minh … 52-5060VUM

This is a popular tour for many tourists. However, if you would like to have a customized one, which only cover the type of food you choose from the menu, you should gather a group of 05 people and send email to this person [email protected], she will design a customized tour, price is not different with the common tour menu, I booked that when my foreigner friends came to Vietnam.

Thanks and regards,
Van

Tet in Vietnam is the most special event.
It's very great if you travel to HCMC or any other provinces of Vietnam to see the celebrated streets
As a person who has lived for 20 years in HCMC, Vietnam, I can suggest some information for you to have a memorable holidays in Vietnam

Thanks for replying...

My wife and I look forward to hearing any suggestions you may have. 

Thank you in advance!

well, in Tet holiday, many people travel to different place in Vietnam to entertain, Hoi An is the most favorite for tourist because it's ancient architecture.
Otherwise, beaches is a option, Vietnam has many beautiful beaches, but I think in holidays like Tet, the  fee for service and hotel is very expensive.
Southern Vietnam is another one you can consider such as mekong Delta, specially floating market, they buy and sell everything on boat. In Tet holidays, the market would be more bustling.
If you interest in photography, these place can help you nice shots.
I know a operation with many kind of events to these place as below , if you want to have a memorable trip with a different experience to be a photographer, you can think about it :D

facebook.com/SnapitVietnam/?fref=ts

Happy8888 wrote:

...try to stay away from the tourist areas

The "tourist areas" are where a person stands a much better chance of finding a restaurant that's open during Tet; especially the days leading up to/immediately after day one. :top:

you can google search  "dis diem an ngon o TPHCM", there are a lot of places you can enjoy.  Street Foods in Saigon are also delicious so you can eat anywhere you see there are many local people eating.

Have a good trip,
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you very much...we'll give that a try!