Close

Billiards in Saigon?

Was wondering if there was anywhwere that foreigners got together to play some pool in HCMC??  Or is there anyone on here that would like to get together to play some 8ball?? I am not that great of a player but would like to get together and play some..

-David

hey man - im always keen to have a few games of something - there is a decent pool place on le loi d1 or on hoa hung d10 - these are the 2 i go to normally but there are heaps everywhere.

I tend to frequent Angels on Le Lai one of the best in town :)

I'll be up for some when I get there! Can't wait! *smiles*

As a follow on from this anyone know where I can pool\snooker cues in HCMC?

:-)

Check out The Ky - in district 4, down by the river, just across the new bridge going from district 1 to district 4, on Nguyen Tat Thanh street, near the intersection of Doan Nhu Hai street.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Check out The Ky - in district 4

Is that a pool hall or a shop ?

Re: The Ky:
Dont know what you mean by shop. It's definitely a pool hall - and not a "monkey bar". The girls who work there are attendants/waiters only, but will play pool with you if you don't have a partner. It was previously located in D1, on Nam Ky Khoi Nghia street near the corner with Le Thanh Ton street, but they tore it down more than a year ago. A few months after that, at the first of last year, I noticed it had re-established at it's current location. I had played pool at the previous location for many years, and was disappointed to find it had been torn down. New location has slightly different atmosphere (not better or worse - just different) and some of the same employees.

Thanks for the replys guys... I will try and find some of these places..

saigonmonkey wrote:

Re: The Ky:
Dont know what you mean by shop. It's definitely a pool hall

cheers that answers my question :)

A shop is somewhere I can go and buy a pool cue :)

Re: Shop:
Was 99% sure you were talking about a place to buy billiard supplies, but in my time here interacting with many people from many places and hearing all the different terminology that means the same thing, there was that 1% chance that your definition of a shop could be something totally different. :-)
Cheers

Ah yes I see where your coming from now :) no worries.

You fancy shooting some pool this afternoon?

Just logged in to say the one @ 102 NAM KỲ KHỞI NGHĨA, BẾN NGHÉ, 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Việt Nam is no longer open. Just am indoor market trying to sell clothes. Also, there was one listed called "Vibe" in district one as well. That one no longer is open either. I've done enough running around for the day. Will advise of the other locations when I get a try to sess them out.

nmemind wrote:

Just logged in to say the one @ 102 NAM KỲ KHỞI NGHĨA, BẾN NGHÉ, 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Việt Nam is no longer open. Just am indoor market trying to sell clothes.

This is the one (old The Ky) to which I was referring in my earlier post. It has moved to the location I mentioned in District 4.

saigonmonkey wrote:
nmemind wrote:

Just logged in to say the one @ 102 NAM KỲ KHỞI NGHĨA, BẾN NGHÉ, 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Việt Nam is no longer open. Just am indoor market trying to sell clothes.

This is the one (old The Ky) to which I was referring in my earlier post. It has moved to the location I mentioned in District 4.

Hi.  Thank you for the reply.  I see the Nguyen Tat Thanh near the river, but the closest named intersection I can find is called Doan Van Bo. The roads actually intersect twice, once headed out of dist. one and the other once it's into dist. 4.  Is it either one of these, or do I need to travel farther away from dist. 1?
thanks again.

The address of The Ky is 5 Nguyen That Thanh street in district 4. It is by the river, in the complex behind the Viet My Auto Center (whose address is also 5 Nguyen That Thanh). There are signs out on the street for "The Ky Billiards", and there are two entrances - one on each side of the Viet My Auto center. You have to walk a ways back behind there to get to the entrances, and if you're riding a motorbike, you need to go to the right side of the Viet My Auto. There's usually a security guard sitting back there who will show you where to park the bike.

are you at professional stage? I think I can introduce you to some players

@Matt, how many players do you get turning up? What is the format for the tournament?
The website says after 4-5 games you play trick shots? Does that mean the tournament is over?

@Rojamin, Are these pro players based in Hanoi?

@laidbackfreak: No, fortunately in Saigon :)

i like the pool on Le Lai street but i refer the one on Ha Ba Trung call SBK 144 Hai Ba Trung D.1.

i am not good at it but its my hobby too :)

tweepham wrote:

i like the pool on Le Lai street

Angels ? I play there occasionally....

laidbackfreak wrote:

As a follow on from this anyone know where I can pool\snooker cues in HCMC?

Yeah bro, look under sports equipment in classifieds, there is a nice one there for sale, brand new ;-)

สตีวี่ wrote:

Yeah bro, look under sports equipment in classifieds, there is a nice one there for sale, brand new ;-)

Got one now thanks and a decent supplier for my needs.

Looks like an interesting cue though. Don't know the brand at all? and I'm not sure about the carbon ferrell, but I'd like to shoot it to see how it feels.
Had a friend way back who played with a carbon cue, looked good but not my choice. I like the look and feel of wood.

Hi all, I know this thread is quite old now, but if anyone is up for a few games of pool and some beers in HCMC, let me know.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I still play most Fridays (not the next couple of weeks sadly) and odd evenings at Angels on Le Lai, so if you fancy a game drop me a line.

Hey Steve, not sure where you live but there are two good Pool tables in An Phu, District 2 now. Snap Cafe has a recently refurbed one and has a competition for all levels on most Thursday nights (including tonight 28th Nov.) BMV on Quoc Huong, District 2 also has a nice table and a competition every other Saturday. Reply to this message and I'll send more details if you require or contact the businesses direct. Snap Cafe has its own website. BMV is also listed on Google.

BTW: if anyone is still looking for some high quality cues, I have 5 brand new ones for sale, all different weights; 18oz, 19oz, 20oz and 21oz.

Chris

yourmaninshanghai wrote:

BTW: if anyone is still looking for some high quality cues, I have 5 brand new ones for sale, all different weights; 18oz, 19oz, 20oz and 21oz.
Chris

Chris, don't suppose any of them are break cues ?
What makes ?

Hi guy,
I have the same interest with you. However, I'm not so good at it ;). If you would like a friend playing together, do drop me a line and we could go.
Nice to meet you!
Cheers,

laidbackfreak wrote:
yourmaninshanghai wrote:

BTW: if anyone is still looking for some high quality cues, I have 5 brand new ones for sale, all different weights; 18oz, 19oz, 20oz and 21oz.
Chris

Chris, don't suppose any of them are break cues ?
What makes ?

Sorry, no Breaking Cues although the 21oz packs a punch.

They are unbranded. They were originally manufactured for the European market where they retailed for 200-300Euros. I bought some wholesale when I lived in Shanghai direct from the Dutch business owner and have sold over 20 with no complaints. High quality Reindeer Leather 7-Layer Tip and precision coupling. I also have some presentation cases or soft cases dependant on requirements. They're 1.5mil VND to 1.8mil VND depending on styling - 2mil VND with presentation case. I warranty them for 1 year as I know they are of great quality.

email me on yourmaninhochiminh(at)gmail...... if you want more info

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info, I live near Snap Café and Quoc Huong so both are good for me - I'll look to check both of them out over the next week or two.

Tommy - maybe see you there?

Cheers,

Steve

yourmaninshanghai wrote:

Hey Steve, not sure where you live but there are two good Pool tables in An Phu, District 2 now. Snap Cafe has a recently refurbed one and has a competition for all levels on most Thursday nights (including tonight 28th Nov.) BMV on Quoc Huong, District 2 also has a nice table and a competition every other Saturday. Reply to this message and I'll send more details if you require or contact the businesses direct. Snap Cafe has its own website. BMV is also listed on Google.

Chris

Yeah, the pool table @ Snap is quite nice. Except these two, I found a few on Tran Nao Str., D2 nearby but haven’t checked them out. Bcoz I’m fine @Snap, both for the pool or reading in the afternoon :).

Do come and join us tomorrow at Snap Cafe, 7pm for our weekly tournament if you would like to meet some great people. We always have a good night.  :)

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm still planning to drop in to join the pool at Snap Café as soon as I can get a spare evening!  Cheers, Steve

Bumping an old thread. Does anyone still meet up for pool?

Check out saigonpoolleague.leaguerepublic.com - it's the new Amateur Expat Pool League in Saigon.

Regards

Id like to play pool. Where do you guys usually play?

i went and shot a few balls today but it doesn't that great of a hall. just four tables. i'm hunting down a better place. if anyone knows of a good place around distract 1 i would be willing to meet up

Saw this thread. I'm looking for some guys to play pool as well. There are quite a lot of places to play but I'm not sure where's the best. Anyone up for pool this evening? Or tomorrow?

Hi dathancna! Have you found a place to play pool? There's one here in district 4 where I usually play. Let me know if you're still interested in finding a place and someone to play pool with.

Questions and answers about leisure

Where to play VOLLEYBALL!?
Tet 2016
Kite surfing

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ho Chi Minh City

Flights to Ho Chi Minh City

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ho Chi Minh City

International Money Transfer

Currency Exchange and Money Transfer Specialists