Cricket World Cup on TV in Saigon?

hey guys..
anyone know if cricket is broadcast on any sports channels on TV in vietnam? ive asked a few people n none of them seem to know. is TenSports or Sky Sports available over here? if anyone has any info, please share :D cheers

I've not seen any cricket on the sports channels available here as yet. It has been shown in bars around town via streaming sites though so maybe worth checking that route out.

let me know if you need directions along those lines ;-)

hey, thanks! yeah, i recall a sports-bar called Phatty's on Ton That Thiep having a schedule of cricket as well as football etc, but i thought it would still be via cable or something. its a bit disappointing if they dont have any channels here showing it. thanks for the help!

ur right,i just checked out the phatty' site schedule. for cricket, under "channel" it says "INTERNET". definitely streaming then..

No worries, Cricket is still a very minor sport, so no real call for it on cable hence no coverage. Football (soccer) gets a lot better coverage on cable, but does depend on what package you've got available to you.

I've been in Phatty's a few times to watch the ashes etc. I've got internet at home so the odi's I tend to watch these at home.

yeah. i still wouldve expected something from the cable company, like an optional channel where u pay more or something. oh well, guess i'll check out some good streaming websites.. the free ones are pretty poor quality.. which do u use to stream?

I don't watch cricket, but I remember the station S2 (maybe S3) showing it around the clock pretty much when we lived at our old place and still had that channel.  It's a South African sports channel, and I think it's called Super Sports.  I don't know how you can order the station, but I hope this helps.

hey, thanks. sorry, i wasnt online these few days n just saw ur post. someone also informed me about the S2 channel but i dont know which network this runs on, and if i can apply for it, n how long it takes. thanks for the info, any more would be appreciated too :)

It's particularly pathetic when you consider cricket is a huge sport by numbers playing it alone in the sub-continent. It's shown in every other country in the region apart from Vietnam. Why?? Love to know the reason why espn/star think replays of year old pool tournaments, beach volleyball etc is more worthy.

They took the South african channel S1 S3 etc away on the eve of the football world cup, so not an option. I was streaming but all sites including the espn one have slowed so much they are unwatchable. So, if you're a cricket fan you're in the wrong country or a football fan these days too. In fact it's only ok if you're an american sports fan as most tourists etc aren't american I can only wonder what's going on.

jezer wrote:

Love to know the reason why espn/star think replays of year old pool tournaments, beach volleyball etc is more worthy.

truth, this.. i have no idea either. i tried watching the game at a bar last night, but as they too have no option, they have a high quality internet stream, which has good picture quality, but streams for 2 seconds between 10 second interruptions. quite unwatchable.. very frustrating. cant believe im missing out on pretty much the entire world cup thanks to this

The slow connection is due to the fact the undersea cable was damaged just over a week ago, sadly this was followed by the earthquake in Japan. I'm guessing this kinda slowed things down on getting the cable fixed.
Normally streaming services here are pretty good, certainly in the bars around town.
As to why it's not shown here, well its not a big sport here, outside of VN the other sub-continent countries have closer ties to the originating game. Through in the fact one of the other TV operators bought a lot of the tv rights to some of the big sports and then wanted to charge huge fees to watch. Prices outside of locals, then it doesn't take much to see why ESPN are showing repeats\other minority sports.
It still sucks though, no matter what the reasons :-/

Not sure about the undersea cable connection. I remember the same story being trotted out when football suddenly went off air. Surely if that was the case all internet connections would slow down, but they haven't. Where did you hear the story from laidback?

I beleive in the greedy scenario of wanting too much money. It's all ruthlessly capitalist for a supposed communist country. So, no football, no cricket, no BBC, no facebook + relentless noise where i live = shit country. I'm taking my spoilt self to China after my rental agreement is up.

Apart from VNPT which goes via a different, all internet in VN has slowed down.
I have on-line schematics that show where ISP's get their International connections. SingTel (Singapore) has a frame relay in TP HCM which feeds some of the ISP's through a spur cable from SP.

Sounds like your enjoying your time here Jezer ;-)

Btw Facebook is blocked in China, and harder to get round than here.

My friends in Beijing have no trouble at all getting on Facebook.

im using VNPT and im having extremely slow internet too..

btw, facebook is very easy to get around in vietnam too.. its no problem using it

u cud have watched it easily on espnstar.com/cwclive.i watched it completely interrption free on my vnpt connection..
now u can watch the IPL on world.ipl.indiatimes.com...it has amazing clarity..tell me if it works for you...

thanks. yes the streaming does work (the IPL link) but i did want to watch the world cup on a big screen (on TV) like i used to back home.. but yeah, the IPL link is great, great picture quality, thanks for sharing! wonder if there would be a site which would stream non-IPL/world cup cricket in this kind of quality?