Marriage_Morocco or USA

I am an American engaged with a Moroccan man.  We would like to live in the USA for a while after getting married.  Should I get married in Morocco or in the USA?  does it make a difference?  I have no clue.  Anyone in the similar dilema?

Thanks!

Hello Eser,

First of all in order to marry in the USA your fiancee will require a K-1 - Fiancée Visa. While it is possible to marry on a B1/B2 Visit Visa, it is NECESSARY to prove that it was not one's intention to marry when they applied for the visa. Otherwise it would be considered immigration fraud and the foreign spouse could be subjected to a ban from entering the USA for a period up to 10 years. It is also necessary in the K-1 Visa process to PROVE that you have actually met the fiancée in person, at least once in the 2 years prior to application. Also you should be aware that marriage to an American citizen, in itself, is no guarantee that the foreign spouse would ever obtain their "green card".

See the following USCIS webpage for further information on the K-1 Fiancée Visa:  http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-c … ncee-visas

If you marry outside of the USA, then the foreign spouse would need to apply for an IR-1 or CR-1 Immigrant Visa is your spouse intends to take up residence in the USA or a K-3 Non-Immigrant Visa if you are not planning on taking up residence in the USA.

See the following for further information:  http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/e … iance.html

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks everyone, I hope you are all doing well.

For those who did not read my previous question, I am an American woman who is going to be married to a Moroccan gentleman.  Our marraige registration will be in Morocco.

I have a question about letter of religion declaration.  I was told this letter is one of the requried documents for the purpose of marriage registraiton.  For a woman who does not have a religion  and not a muslim (intend to convert after marraige), what should the letter say?

Appreciate your helpful response.

As far as I'm aware, a Muslim man is only allowed to marry a Muslim/Christian/Jewish woman. So the document would be proof that you belong to one of those religions. I'm not sure if someone who doesn't, can get married in Morocco. I would not recommend converting for the purpose of obtaining this document.

Eser wrote:

For those who did not read my previous question, I am an American woman who is going to be married to a Moroccan gentleman.  Our marraige registration will be in Morocco.

I have a question about letter of religion declaration.  I was told this letter is one of the requried documents for the purpose of marriage registraiton.  For a woman who does not have a religion  and not a muslim (intend to convert after marraige), what should the letter say?

If you were ever a member of a church, ask that church for a letter stating that you were declaired a member and when that happened. Lots of people who don't think of themselves as religious often forget they were baptised (made members of a church) as an infant. A  record of this, for Morocco, usually good and might be all that is needed.
If that never happened when you wrre a child, and you are truly interested in conversation to a Muslim,  I suggest you don't wait.  Do some very basic study about the meaning of islam,  read a little of the Qur'an (it is online -- even translsted into Engish), memorize the 5 pillars of islam (basically: you believe in Allah/Mohammed as Proffit-- understand  Prayer/5x daily--willing to give up10% $for charity-- will try fasting for Ramadan-- plan on making a Haj pilgrimage at least 1x ),  then make a verifiable  witnessed declaration (publicly  tell someone) of your desire to convert, new belief, and  your understanding of the 5 pillars of Islam (even if done in English) and for a small fee ask the Adual who will drawup your marriage contract, to give you certification letter saying he verifies you as a Muslim. Then if you choose to learn more just continue to the study with your husband or an Imam after your wedding.

Eser wrote:

If you were ever a member of a church, ask that church for a letter stating that you were declaired a member and when that happened. Lots of people who don't think of themselves as religious often forget they were baptised (made members of a church) as an infant. A  record of this, for Morocco, usually good and might be all that is needed.
If that never happened when you wrre a child, and you are truly interested in conversation to a Muslim,  I suggest you don't wait.  Do some very basic study about the meaning of islam,  read a little of the Qur'an (it is online -- even translsted into Engish), memorize the 5 pillars of islam (basically: you believe in Allah/Mohammed as Proffit-- understand  Prayer/5x daily--willing to give up10% $for charity-- will try fasting for Ramadan-- plan on making a Haj pilgrimage at least 1x ),  then make a verifiable  witnessed declaration (publicly  tell someone) of your desire to convert, new belief, and  your understanding of the 5 pillars of Islam (even if done in English) and for a small fee ask the Adual who will drawup your marriage contract, to give you certification letter saying he verifies you as a Muslim. Then if you choose to learn more just continue to the study with your husband or an Imam after your wedding.

It's 2.5%.

We are planning to register marraige in Morocco.  Right now I am preparing documents requried by Moroccan goverment. Once all the documents are ready and translated, how long are they good for? 
I heard the background check documents is only good for 60 days?

For some Moroccan  documents last for 90 days for instance certificate of birth and background check
But in every documents you will find date how long it last till it expired ..