Volunteering in Germany

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Germany?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Germany?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

Hi,

you can start from the following:

http://www.freiwilligen-zentrum-hamburg.de/http://www.hamburger-tafel.de/

They are always looking for resources.

Regards,
Umari

There are lots of social programs in Germany, many which use volunteers. Many are offered over the Catholic Church organization Caritas or the Protestant (Evangelische Gesellschaft ) Diakonie . Another but non-religious group is Arbeiterwohlfahrtsverbandes known as AWO. One can look in the internet for the local chapters. To help out refugees, there are local Flüchtlingsfreundeskreise or refugee-friend-circles.

On the official Stuttgart city website I found the following:
Wer Interesse hat sich zu engagieren, meldet sich einfach bei der Koordinatorin der Flüchtlingsfreundeskreise heidi.schä[email protected] oder bei [email protected], Mitarbeiter des Sozialamtes Stuttgart.

Who interest has to get involved, contact the coordinator of the refugee-friend-circles heidi.schä[email protected] or by [email protected] employee of the Stuttgart social-work office.

I personally called the last guy mentioned and he referred me to the Caritas, Diakonie and AWO projects.
As a clown and juggler, I think entertaining refugee kids who have had a traumatic journey can be helpful. I just did this 2 days ago at a party organized by such a local refugee-friend-circle in Stuttgart. They had invited about 150 people from 2 homes for refugees to a hall connected with a nearby Catholic church. About 30 volunteers showed up but only about 30 refugees although the people had been spoken to earlier in the week by Arabic speakers and then before the event they went knocking on doors as almost nobody showed up. There was a good atmosphere and lots of food but a mystery why more refugees didn't attend. Most of the refugees are Muslim so maybe there was some skepticism on a religious level or maybe they just had better things to do on a nice Saturday afternoon. A lot of volunteers are showing up to welcome refugees as they arrive at the major train stations in Germany yet this is not something that addresses the middle or long term needs.
So, fellow immigrants to Germany can be invaluable to share information but probably only if they have themselves been here a while and learned the language and how to navigate the bureaucracy.

Hi Maximilien,

I am involved in volunteering project for young girls refugees, organized by Red Cross  in Munich.
When I started, two years ago, I needed a Certificate of Good Conduct from police, but it was not difficult to obtain.
Currently I volunteered also in a Flüchtlingsfreundeskreis, for helping the new arrived refugees in Munich.
In Munich there is a Volunteering Fair- Ehrenamtlichen Messe organised every year in Gasteig.
I think volunteering is a great opportunity to pay back a little for the many blessings we received.

Best wishes,
Mariana

Dear All ,
see my below video
youtube.com/watch?v=NdyYYJwlC7U
after this i start work in Johanisa Diakonie Mosbach , i feel very price , and now im in DUbai but i always remember work as volunteering.

Hallo :   -  I am going to volunteer with BFD (I don't possess any tertiary qualification), as my girlfriend wishes that I first spend a considerable time in Germany getting to know each other better before we get married. I speak German conversationally and only have a good work history
My Question is  -  with the volunteer organizations, do I reveal my intention to marry later or not? Does this better my chances or not?

If anyone has even a little information on this I would be so gratefull for some help in deciding.

Thank you and kind regards.
Stato

if you can respond,
please use this email :

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Stato: Please do not post personal contact details (here: Email address) on the forum. This is not allowed, because it can be abused!
Also, you posted this message no less than FOUR times on the forum. This is considered SPAM and therefore also disallowed. Please do not do it again - once is enough. (The other posts have to be manually removed now, which costs the volunteers and site team time that should be better spent!)

Therefore I give you only a very brief answer:
For the BFD visa, it does not matter what your intentions are afterwards. For the organisation you want to volunteer at, I cannot tell - ask them!

Thanks for the answer and information - I was really not aware of such requirements - Point taken !

STATO wrote:

Thanks for the answer and information - I was really not aware of such requirements - Point taken !

Please read the forum rules!