Questions on KL - New Expat

Hello all,

I will be moving to KL by end of this month. Need your help with following questions:

1.  Which is the recommended expat areas where
   -- its easy to Travel to Technology Park Malaysia or KLCC (two offices)
   -- Have international school for my 5 year old son
   -- Good Transport Connectivity

2. How soon can I get driving license in Malaysia? Is it simple process? Can we exchange our US/Canada driving license for Malaysia license? Not sure if its a good thing

3. I heard KL has higher crime rate (blame internet if its wrong), do you suggest living in condominium or house?

4. Please suggest any good international schools in that area

Thanks,
Rahul

Some thoughts

-- its easy to Travel to Technology Park Malaysia or KLCC (two offices) WHICH OFFICE ARE YOU AT MAINLY?
   -- Have international school for my 5 year old son - WHAT CURRICULUM ? (British, Indian, US, Canada, Austr)
   -- Good Transport Connectivity - THIS IS A GENERAL PROBLEM SO CARS NEEDED

2. How soon can I get driving license in Malaysia? Is it simple process? Can we exchange our US/Canada driving license for Malaysia license? Not sure if its a good thing. BY LAW YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IF YOU HAVE A WORK PERMIT. CHECK WITH USA EMBASSY HOW YOUR CURRENT LICENCES NEED TO BE AUTHENTICATED (YOU KEEP YOUR US LICENCE) www.mm2h.gov.my/pdf/mm2h11.pdf ·

3. I heard KL has higher crime rate (blame internet if its wrong), do you suggest living in condominium or house? UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY HIGH BUDGET FOR HOUSING, CONDO LIKELY TO BE ONLY OPTION.

4. Please suggest any good international schools in that area NEED TO KNOW CURRICULUM BUT YOU MAY FIND US CITIZENS CONGREGATE AROUND USA CURRICULUM SCHOOL.

www.schooladvisor.my

Hi Rahul,

Welcome to Malaysia. Below is my answer to your queries:-

*Stay nearby KLCC will be better

2. How soon can I get driving license in Malaysia? Is it simple process? Can we exchange our US/Canada driving license for Malaysia license? Not sure if its a good thing
*As long as you are holding a valid US/Canada driving license then you can drive in Malaysia. You can refer to this link for more details: http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/eng/acceptanc … g-license.

3. I heard KL has higher crime rate (blame internet if its wrong), do you suggest living in condominium or house?
*I would suggest you stay in condo as more secure with few tiers of security involved.

*Few international schools in KL City Center like Garden International School, Sayfol International School of Kuala Lumpur, Taylor's International School Kuala Lumpur.

In case you require further assistance, you can always contact me via email at Jessie.eddie at gmail dot com. Thank you.

Regards,
Jessie

Thank you for your help.

Any specific area names you will like to suggest based on safety, family envirornment and most importantly schools?  I will be visiting Technology park more often than KLCC. I will anyways buy car.

Kids are still young so I am not much aware about difference between British, Canadian and Indian curriculum. your guidance will be much appreciated

I heard very difficult to get into school, long waiting list. Is it true? what do you suggest?

Cash purchase will be needed for cars, as loans rarely available for foreigners on work permits. You can check out prices on www.mudah.com.my

Curriculum - well you need to think about this. Where do you see your child being educated in the next 10 years? If you look at Google Map and find Bukit Jalil, you can see the area where the Technology Park is located and the nearby suburbs. If you do a search on the map for schools nearby (BJ) you will see which ones are convenient. That should narrow down a few choices you need to make. The majority are UK curriculum but you can get IB and Indian Curriculum up in Brickfields/Sentral. Some schools have waiting lists. You contact them and find out if the ones that interest you have space in the required class.

You can check on property rental prices to see what fits in your budget using www.iproperty.com.my based on the various areas/suburbs on the map.

Hi Rahul,

Good day. Have you manage to find an apartment? ++++ In case you need help, do let me know.

In term of international school, I would suggest Sayfol International School that's about 2 mins from the apartment. As for the enrollment for your kid, I don't think that's an issue.

FYI, the apartment is very convenient as the food and beverage, grocery, shopping will be opened by Oct 2015.

In case you need any help, feel free to ask me. Thanks and looking forwards to see you in Malaysia. Cheers.

Jessie

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : share your recommendation in private pls

Driving. You said US/Canada, which place are you from? If US, go get your AAA International Driving Permit the day before your trip. Malaysia accepts that but not your US licence. But AAA is only good for a year and you will have to figure out how to renew. I did. If you ride a motorcycle in US, make sure thats enforced on the IDP so you can have that option here too. You dont need AAA membership for the IDP and the cost is $22. The IDP will also allow you to drive in Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam. Anyway, when stopped at police roadblocks, which is frequent by my reckoning, have your Passport, IDP, copy of car registration and roadtax card ready for showing. Off all things, the roadtax is the critical component. DO NOT EVER let it expire. You can convert your US licence to a local one, last check it cost about $250 and you have to do some running around between govt offices to accomplish it. I use my IDP with no problems and have no plan to take a local one unless brutally forced. And even then...........

Housing. Its cheaper to live around Technology Park and since you will drive its about 40 minutes to KLCC from there. Its also far less jammed and quieter.

You might find that a house is better overall. Crime happens in either condo or house. In my last condo in KL, there were two sets of robbers. Once lived in the complex and the other was in cahoots with the guard. Whereas, in my house in Penang, the neighbors are much better at keeping an eye on each other than any guard. Houses are cheaper than condos but it depends what you want. Need a pool or playground? Ok, condo. Need space? Ok, house. Where precisely to live is impossible for anyone to tell you. You have to come and plop yourself in a hotel for a stint and just start going around and looking. What makes the most sense to you will soon appear.

Crime. Hard to comment about crime because it takes so many forms. You can be in a coffee shop working on the net and a robber will rip that laptop right out of your hands while you are typing. You can be asked to borrow your phone to make a call and that person will run off with it. You can be driving and a motorbike next to you will smash the glass, grab your bag and speed off. But these things dont happen to everyone everyday and you personally may never have any problem at all. Walking on the street is safe, just dont bring attention to yourself by flashing iphones, laptops, etc. Dont leave valuables in the car, pack them away. The internet gives the impression Malaysia is a nation of godless degenerates, roaming the streets in laughing, drunken packs, wildly smashing and grabbing women and loot. Cmon, cmon, are you going to believe that crap? (sounds fun, though.)

1. And 2. Get a car its simpler! No need to give up other licence. How fast = how much. Mont kiara or ampang are the classic good areas.

Only world class school is ISKL if you look at rankings but many would disagree. USA style curriculum and most expensive. After that Alice Smith and GIS for UK, Mont Kiara for US and AISM. After that some untested wannabes who charge a lot, some good mid range options then loads of budget schools best avoided.depends on your budget.

3. Crime rate less than the Bronx. After that really depends on what you compare. Certainly muggings are common in many areas now.

A CAR is a must in Malaysia. Especially for personal safety. Especially with a child.

If you are not sure about driving on the correct side of the road then hire a driver. If you can't afford a driver

STAY AWAY if not paid enough especially with the RM falling like a lead balloon. School fees will be 50 to 100 k per year as age increases. 30k is lowest price for a reasonable school. If that alarms you stay in USA as an MBA costs less than a school education here!!!!!

Rahul_C wrote:

Hello all,

I will be moving to KL by end of this month. Need your help with following questions:

Thanks,
Rahul

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum. Drop an advert in the section Housing in Kuala Lumpur
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct