Cost of living in KL

Team,

I am from India abd I have a job offeer from one of the companies in KL, Malaysia. The monthly salary offered was RM 26 K and an annual bonus of RM 220K. Is it  a good enough salary to live a deceny life. I have wife and 1 kid (7 years). My definition of decent life is living in a nice 2 bedroom flat (fully furnished), kid`s education in an international school, a decent Car, Holiday trip once in 3 months, weekend meal out side in a good restuarant etc.

Please advise as i am in a dilemma whether to accept the offer or not

If the salary/bonus is 60% more than you currently earn then you can easily accept, because its about that much more expensive to live in Malaysia with one child than in India.

Hi sounds ok (yes I know some will drool) but really depends on you. That may be a very bad salary if you earn more elsewhere. KL is expensive.

Good international schools cost 4-8k a month. I mean 12 months!Plus other school expenses. if you got school/medical fees paid then yes you can afford a good lifestyle in Malaysia and save properly etc. Nice condo 6k a month say. Can pay a lot more (and less) but assuming a good mid range condo. Car well these are f*****g expensive!!!! if you want a western car either bring over 100,000 USD and buy one or lease. Say 3k a month.

So good living

Car 3k
Condo 6k
Education 9k (8+1)
Medical (expat one all family) 0.5k
Utilities/Sat TV/internet etc 0.8k
Entertainment (eating out / drinking a bit) 3k
General food etc 2.5k
Clothes etc   1k
Pocket money for the kid (some get 4-5k lo) assume you are sensible parent so 0.2 k

23k a month (after tax)!  Obviously can go cheaper but if you want  a good middle class lifestyle where you don't compromise quality of living kL is expensive. Especially if you want a good education for your child.

Hi,
23k pm as mentioned by you school fees for pa not monthly so?

Dineshnichani wrote:

Hi,
23k pm as mentioned by you school fees for pa not monthly so?

proper expat packages are 30% plus old UK/USA/Australia salary + all school fees + driver/car + maid + gardener + accommodation (22k sq ft with pool) + cook + 2 flights whole family home + all medical (proper expat medical insurance) + pension contributions

There are still expats on these but they don't hang out on internet forums. They are professionals who work hard. I know many like that still but rarer than it once was. Often the 30% extra hardship allowance is cut etc. but school/medical fees are the most valuable then accomodation (sometimes also cut for lower staff).

This means you can live in KL as well as back home in USA/UK.

I work in Asia as I like it - I took a massive cut in living standards to do so but my choice. For those who want the same standard of living 23k is reasonable after tax and quite achievable if a real expat contract. I earnt a lot more than that in Malaysia 10 years ago.

A low budget expat

Car 1.5k (Proton - but door handles fall off lol)
Condo 3k (live further out - smaller)
Education 5k (4+1) - lowest acceptable school for real education
Medical (expat one all family) 0.5k
Utilities/Sat TV/internet etc 0.8k
Entertainment (eating out / drinking a bit) 2k - watching pennies
General food etc 2.5k
Clothes etc   1k
Pocket money for the kid (some get 4-5k lo) assume you are sensible parent so 0.2 k

16.5k net a month. That is rock bottom with ne school age kid to maintain an ok living standard. Anything less means really cutting back lifestyle. Note a free school place is valuable!

Hi,

The salary you had mentioned is really to live and work. you can definitely find a decent location and move in there.
security is big concern there so i suggest you to look into this and decide. the international schools are also expensive there and the standards are not much satisfactory.

Regards
Ra