Does a foreign business owner need a workpermit?

Dear all! i would be very thankful if somebody could answer this question for me:-)

You have to be specified what kind of foreign business owner? However legally, any foreigner would like to work in Egypt, has to get a work permit, but at tourist places like Sharm, Hurghada foreigners could work without work permit, it is common nowadays because they get lower salaries.
If you would like to run your own business, you have to be specified what kind of business as you could run it from your home. if you need an office etc... you must have commercial register document and card tax paper. the below link might be helpful for you.
http://www.egypt.gov.eg/english/home.aspxhttp://www.mfti.gov.eg/English/

Regards,
M. Adel

You do need a work permit if you want to work in YOUR  own business. You won't be able to sponsor yourself (issuing your own visa) unless your register a company depositing 50 + K USD. You need to be able to employ a certain number of Egyptian citizens, before employing yourself, 'the foreigner'.

Many foreigners will, of course, work without permit, and without residence visa, and it is kind of tolerated. But it does not make it legal.

In your previous posts you mentioned a business about 'travel arrangements'. You will need a license.
If you make arrangements for tourists you will need a license from the ministry of tourism and they have stopped issuing such licenses at present. Before registering the business, one should chef which license is required, and if the gov is still issuing them. Otherwise you will have to purchase it from an existing business, if you can find one.

Dear expat-members! Thanks a lot for your reply! This was very helpful!

Best regards

Dear sir,
As any country Egypt has laws and rules any business man from another country should follow and there are two ways to invest in Egypt 1- you sign a contract with the Egyptian governement sharing together you will have 49% and the governement will have 51%.
2- you share Egyptian businessman 49% for you and 51% for the Egyptian business man .
or there a third solution you will hire an Egyptian to be responsible for your buisness in Egypt.
Best regards
Alaa Saad

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : I have removed your phone number
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct