Meeting new people in Oslo / Inside information about living in Oslo

Dear all,

Me and my family (boyfriend, 2,5 years old son and 4 months old daughter) currently live in France (Paris). Chances are we'll be moving to Oslo within a few months. Because I don't know anybody in Oslo yet and because I can use some inside information, I'm looking to come in contact with people who want to help me.

Questions that have come to my attention are:
- Is there a large foreign (or even Dutch) community in Oslo?
- What is a good area to live for a family with young children (or in what area do many expats live)?
- Does anybody have any experience with bilingual or English eduction for young children?
- What are the chances for me to find a part time job (by preference in communication) without speaking any Norwegian?

Cheers,
Aniek

hei!
A lot of places in Oslo are suitable for families depending on you budget. I have bilingual children without sending them to a special school. There is a private school in Oslo - Oslo International School in Bærum. It is a good area to live too but the properties are expensive in that area. Public schools (depending on the school, can offer a second language to a child).
I suggest that you study the language because jobs are hard to come by if you cannot speak the language.  Some people that work at the airport do not speak Norwegian but I am not sure whether they are hired from another country.

Hello,

There are certainly a lot of foreigners in Oslo. I'm sure there must be some Dutch people too. Families are generally well catered for wherever they live. Regarding a job, it is difficult to find a job without speaking Norwegian. If you have a very specific set of in-demand skills, you might manage it. Usually these are quite technical jobs though.

Best regards,

David

Hi,please you can tell me more about this school?