Want to learn more Vietnamese

What is the best way to find someone to help with conversation Vietnamese?
I am English speaking wanting to learn more Vietnamese.

Hi Doug,
I blieve there are different ways to learn and practice Vietnamese especially you are now living in a native environment with local people here. You can go to social and public places like club, or you can gather with some of your friends after work. Are you interested in practicing Vietnamese with a local friend via Skype?

sure, sounds good

Hi Doug,

Some parks in district 1 (Ex: 23/9 park, etc.) will be one of suitable places to practice Vietnamese with local people. There are many students looking for foreigners to practice speaking English over there. You all can exchange languages. We usually take our students there to improve more speaking Vietnamese skill. Will be fun! :)

Dung Nguyen
VSC

Dung.VietnameseTeacher wrote:

Hi Doug,

Some parks in district 1 (Ex: 23/9 park, etc.) will be one of suitable places to practice Vietnamese with local people. There are many students looking for foreigners to practice speaking English over there. You all can exchange languages. We usually take our students there to improve more speaking Vietnamese skill. Will be fun! :)

Dung Nguyen
VSC

Is there anything in particular that we should do in order to attract the attention of such students? I've walked around/ sat in the park a couple of times by myself and no one has ever approached me....I'm guessing it's because of my black hair/brown eyes. I look like I'm of Vietnamese descent. But I definitely don't dress like it. I could imagine why locals might think I'm from Singapore or China or someplace other than the US, though. Haha I've been tempted to wear a sign that says 'I speak English!' What should an Asian American do to strike up conversation with locals in the park?!

Insufficient Data.  Some people only acquire words by reading, others by talking.  Which is better for you?

The Annie videos help a lot with pronunciation.  They are very well done.

Shorter answer.  Practice every day. 

Advice: forget the southern dialect except for educated people.  The southern is impossible until you understand as well as a native speaker.  It's just too variable and too unclear.  I text to new friends on Facebook for hours; then we meet and I can't understand a word

Hi there,

You are right. They might not think that you're a speaking English foreigner because of your hair and eyes so you can start by saying "Hello" to them. :) It works.

As usual, we - Vietnamese teachers will start conversations with local people first, then ask them if our foreign learner talk to them in Vietnamese. Of course, they never say no. :-D Sometimes, we let our learners find someone local to practice speaking without our help. ^^

hi there,
I'm Vietnamese, I would like to help you all. I always help expats living in HCM city. Don't hesitate to contact me [email protected] , we can even create a group to speak Vietnamese.

Hi Doug,
I am here to help. As long as you dont give up, there thousands of locals are willing to help you out.
The young locals will be happy to speak Vietnamese with you.
Add my skype and speak lively Vietnamese whenever you want : anhthangkaka

kntrinh wrote:
Dung.VietnameseTeacher wrote:

Hi Doug,

Dung Nguyen
VSC

Is there anything in particular that we should do in order to attract the attention of such students? I've walked around/ sat in the park a couple of times by myself and no one has ever approached me....I'm guessing it's because of my black hair/brown eyes. I look like I'm of Vietnamese descent. But I definitely don't dress like it. I could imagine why locals might think I'm from Singapore or China or someplace other than the US, though. Haha I've been tempted to wear a sign that says 'I speak English!' What should an Asian American do to strike up conversation with locals in the park?!

Great Idea :)
I suggest to go to those Conversation Clubs which are advertised here/ Let me find the link again.
I'm lucky since I live with my family here and I work for a company where we speak Vietnamese on a daily basis. Still it's hard to get the tonal right:(

If you wanna practice Vietnamese, come over to my family:) My cousins love to practice English:p

Hi there,
I am a 27 year old female teacher of English based in HCMC with 5 years of experience teaching English to locals as well as Vietnamese to expats. I am now opening private Vietnamese classes to foreigners who wants to practice either speaking or writing Vietnamese. With solid knowledge of the differences between languages and cultures, I enhance my professional teaching hours with insight and profound explaination of Vietnamese language's diversity, thus help you soundly improve your lingual ability in short time.
Contact me via email at: [email protected]
Thank you for your intentive reading!

In any Park you can practice with ...hundred of students around you! ;)

Hi guy!. I'm vietnamames and I want to look for Someone to speak English. We can develop togheter. I have free time. If you would like, we can make friend. Begin chat on yahoo : o_mai_chua_135011. I'm serious!

(Moderated: Please post in the section teaching jobs in Ho Chi Minh City)

vietnamese... so hard to learn....

what is your hourly rate?

Xin chào ! Bạn khỏe không ?!

Hi everybody,

For those looking to take some language courses and for those who are offering language courses, i suggest you to post in the appropriate section which is the Language classes in Ho Chi Minh City section please. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

( P.S Topic closed )

Closed