New Member Introduction

Hi all.
Dave and Trish here from Edmonton, on our way back to Ottawa, then off to Belize end of Nov first of Dec to spent some time in-country to see if it is the lifestyle we can live with.
Internet research and pictures, just don't cut it like being there and doing it!
I come from a management background, but I am also a certified mechanic, which I did for 25 yrs before moving in to management in the power sport and marine industry.
Not just ready to retire yet, but we are both tired of the cold Canadian winters and need to see if the sub tropics work for us.
Wife has a dream of opening a bar/diner of some sort, but we will see if that happens.
If not, back to Ottawa and on with a boring cold life..................
The way we are looking at is, two months in Belize should help with the decision, if not it was a nice holiday before going back to the rat race.
Dave and Trish

Make sure you see all parts as this small size country  it is deceiving in how different it can be within 20 miles. Also you should be hitting the better part of the year for weather. the rainy season can be really more than a lot of people are prepared for. This year has been a particularly wet one. Opening a bar or similar is a popular idea but location is everything and it is unlikely to make much more than a simple living. The rules for working and getting permits for everything are quite involved and you will find several threads on this forum covering a lot of them. If you just end up with a wonderful extended vacation Belize is well worth your visit.(IMHO)

Dave & Trish,

Yes come on down to Belize. You will both love it here. I was sitting by my Canadian friends pool yesterday, drinking a beer and relaxing in the 82 degree sunshine - eat your heart out - lol.
Lots of Canadians here in Cayo.
I don't know about running a bar though. I did that years ago and swore I would never do it again.
If you need any information on living in Belize, the Cayo District, or buying property here, drop me a line and I will email you some stuff.

Retired, been living in Ambergris Caye for a month.  Moving to San Pedro soon, looking for other expats to hang with.

Retired, living in wonderful Corozal.  Enjoying the sun.  From Michigan and Ohio, so I think the sun, heat, and even the rainy season are well worth the joy of living here.  Let me know if you head to Corozal.  Lots of expats here.  Lots of good people. 
Best!

Good looking, too!  :) 

I have a 6 month lease in San Pedro.  A bit expensive here, I've heard it's cheaper in Corozal, but there's nothing to do there.

MAJOR FUN

You probably want to try Cayo. It's far cheaper and much more to do.

Is cayo close to the beach?

Nowhere in Belize is very far from the sea. It's about 2 hours from Belmopan to a beach.

Hi all.
Well we have made the drive across Canada, back in Ottawa getting set to jump off. We are just getting Trish her passport, and off we go.
As for the cash question, what do most people do for money while in the country?
I understand there is a Bank of Nova Scotia in Corozal, so I can withdraw what we need when there?
Will be booking the flights in the next 2 days.
Thanks.

service_guy. You can use most Canadian debit cards at Belizean banks. Lots of restaurants, stores, gas stations and hotels also take credit cards.

Hey Service Guy,my wife and I also reside in Ottawa (Perth)
Would you be so kind to let us know the best route you take and the website or flight company you use to fly to Belize because we are still searching for a place to retire in.

Thanks    GOLEAFSGO

Hey "Major"   I'm hoping 2 drive down 2 Belize SOON   & want 2 come 2 Ambergris     I'm a diver  R  U  ??Thanx  J C

@ diverguy69: To ease the reading, please avoid the use of SMS language :)