Best Place...

Hi,

What is/are the place(s) you like most in Jordan? Unique... Relaxing... Exceptional... and why?

Petra because it is so magical and I wonder every time when I visit it, how they did it.

Primadonna wrote:

Petra because it is so magical and I wonder every time when I visit it, how they did it.

I heard they have built it downwards!

Petra was carved using scaffolding mostly and in some places a mix of excavation to expose some of the rock faces in order to construct the tombs. :)

I like several places.  I think each place has something nice about it.  I am partial to the north though.

By saying how they did it was about which tools they used and if they draw it first on :unsure paper??? before carving.
Can you imagine what a work this had must been: no modern machines or tools, computers, calculators etc etc.

It is definitely and deservedly one of the new 7 wonders of the world.

You are right, but I wonder why it has not become one of the world wonders earlier! No other of its kind. The city is very huge, and climbing up feels somehow like dancing in the clouds and relaxing there is very special!

Primadonna wrote:

By saying how they did it was about which tools they used and if they draw it first on :unsure paper??? before carving.
Can you imagine what a work this had must been: no modern machines or tools, computers, calculators etc etc.

It is definitely and deservedly one of the new 7 wonders of the world.

Oh yes, definitely a lot of work!  Well yeah, besides the scaffolding and cutting the terraces, using ropes and ladders, the tools were pretty simple and ubiquitous to stone carvers everywhere-- flat and claw chisels, hammers, picks, mallets, and bush hammers if I recall my artifact assemblages correctly.  As far as I know, no one has found plans for Petra-- the Nabateans didn't have a written language, but this kind of stone carving is found elsewhere and they seemed to combine several influences with a dash of creativity to produce something interesting and unique.  The math for this kind of architecture though is both complex and not complex-- it is easily done in several societies world-wide, and you don't necessarily need to make actual plans if you understand the geomorphology and the proper proportions.  :)

What I would like to see is how it looked when it was all plastered and painted, and when the actual city part was up and running... not just the few ruins we see and then all the tombs that people mostly focus on (the carved into the rock things).  I know everything was very brightly colored.  I know they had a pond with a garden.

I know don't if she is still working there without looking it up, but Dr. Martha Joukowsky was there for several seasons.  I think she may do some speaking/programming with the public?  I am not sure.  If she does, she would be someone to stop by and talk to.  Last time I was there and saw her, she was working on the bath houses at the Great Temple excavations. I know she does post some things online about past field seasons-- it's Brown University.

So far for me, best place is Jafra Cafe downtown.  I really thought the pizza was great.  I have not be here long enough to really see much else, and no one to go with besides a few coworkers.

The Best Place for me is,DARABUKA Caffe in Rainbow Street,where i can enjoy the Yummii Beef noodles with Live Music performance every thursday night,relaxing with the nice view next to the window then afterward going to Souk JARA to do window shopping

Katie, you are always eating .....

The Dead Sea - very relaxing and therapeutic and within a short drive [30 minutes] you have Bethany beyond the Jordan, The Dead Sea Panorama, Lot's Cave and Madaba, all historical sites worth visiting so it's a great base to start an adventure from, and not far away still you have Maa'in's wonderful natural springs. Further afield you have Amman [of course], Petra and Aqaba. As you all would know the Dead Sea is the largest [and probably oldest] natural Spa in the world, a great place to rejuvenate some tired bones !

petra  is  the best please in jordan because i born there  in the cave

come  too stay in petra cave

@BILLD....Hahahhahaaaa,yeah i looooveeee eating :D

Say Hi to Anchalee :)

her is my number 0776882309 if you visit petra you most welcome
if  you want  to add me in face book
Bedouin Albedouil
greeting nawwaf

Turtle Green - Rainbow Street, In winter time tho