Pepper spray in Jordan?

Hi everyone,
as I am travelling for a year starting next month, I would like to carry pepper spray with me. I know that I can't take it with me from Germany (my home country where I am still) because of airline regulations. But can I buy it in Amman? Or is it even illegal to buy or own pepper spray in Jordan?
Also, feel free to share any advice or experience concerning safety. Thanks!

Hi Sevia,

I'm not sure if it's legal to carry pepper spray in Jordan, but I'll confirm this through a contact soon. Never heard of anyone selling it though. You could make your own using a Youtube tutorial, that could be an option.

It's pretty safe in Jordan so I don't imagine you'll ever need to use it. Normally, guys would only harass you by giving weird (sexy to them) looks and saying something like "Hello" or "Welcome", I know, it's pretty scary!

On a another note, I saw that we have a few things in common like singing, learning languages and board games. Hit me up if you're down for Karaoke or a chess/backgammon game. I'm also learning French with a native partner, so "Dis-moi si tu veux nous rejoindre"

Talal

By the way, I saw your posts about living cost in Jordan. I've met people living on 400 JD a month (having to pay rent as well) so you'll be fine :)

What a quick answer, thanks! I admit that I'm kind of paranoid about safety because I've had pretty bad experiences before (no matter which country it was), so I'd really feel safer with it, but I could also do without if it was illegal or hard to get. Making one myself sounds a little scary, I'm not good at those things. :D

Joining you and your French language partner actually sounds great, I plan on going to France in February 2016, so I could use some practice!

Haha have to say, the pepper spray title got my attention and I couldn't help but to reply :D

Interesting! I plan on going to France next year as well, visiting a good friend who's studying there Well, sure, I mean I'd be of no use to you practicing French since I'm learning but I'll introduce you to my partner, if you and her get along then you could practice with her all the time, she could even introduce you to a bunch of French people living here in Amman.

Don't worry about safety here,  you will be very welcome in the country by the friendly and very hospitality people. I don't know if you travel alone,  it would be still safe.

A small advice to avoid to much attraction from men is to dress decent: cover your shoulders and your legs until your knees and don't show to much décolleté.  After all it's an Islamic country.

Have a nice stay and enjoy the wonderful experiences.

If you still need Pepper Spray i can give you one as i have extra (My EX Bought me from US)

and welcome to Jordan :)

Primadonna, I will be travelling alone most of the time, I think. And of course I will be dressed differently there! :)

Kate29, that sounds awesome! I'd be very happy to buy the one that you don't need. I'll send you a message in a minute!

Hi Sevia and welcome

I wouldn't worry too much about the dress here in Jordan. times are changing fast and you now see a lot of women and girls of all ages wearing jeans and vest tops especially in the shopping malls. But I think that really depends on the area, so Its always wise to carry a jacket or something to cover up with just in case, I have never come across anyone using pepper spray so wouldn't know if it was legal here. Although Jordan is a laid back country and the people are ok most of the time, it's always better to stay safe especially if you have to go out alone or be out at night. Nowhere in the world is 100% safe and here is no exception.  The main thing is that you enjoy your stay and stay safe!

Illegal! Most def illegal to procure/use or carry, though i hear it's a law often overlooked especially when it involves the safety of women!

anyone selling? ;)

Jordan is generally safe. bring one ( not in carry on)

Hello,
I think you are not be obliged to curry something like this,,, it is still safe here in Jordan

I brought some in my checked bag. It is domestic grade "dog spray" so maybe that will help with legalities :) Cheers!

mzgblx wrote:

I brought some in my checked bag. It is domestic grade "dog spray" so maybe that will help with legalities :) Cheers!

trust on me, you will never use it...  ;)

I know! But even in USA and Canada where I came from I carry it. You never know as a lady  :huh:

i undersatnd your feeling as a lady.... Due care even in Jordan...