New visitor suggestions please

Hi All,

I am visiting HCM for few months in November on official trip and would like some help and suggestions please. I don't know the exact place of my work but it's somewhere near the Saigontech University I beleive.

Can someone please suggest a safe place for an expat to stay and travel to my office. Preferably a place which is lively and have close access to food, shops, pubs and gym.. based on my little research on this forum, others suggest District 1, but I dunno how far that is from the office location.

Also do the serviced apartments have ovens built in the kitchen? Is air conditioning normal in all the serviced apartments? Any idea on the health insurance for some one travel from Sydney, Australia?

Hope I can find some friends here before I get there..

Cheers
Kams

https://maps.google.com

Saigontech Universitymore
Lot 14, Quang Trung Sofware City 1A, Tân Chánh Hiệp, District 12
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
+84 8 3715 5033
saigontech.edu.vn‎

District 12 is the other end of District 1.
Best to check with your work place where to live. Life in HCMc is totally different from what you are used to in an orderly society.

Get an insight to life in a old city of about 6 million (thereabouts) from www.youtube.

As stated Saigontech is in D12, I used to live near there and would suggest you live in Tan Binh area. There are not many expats living out there so you will need to enjoy the company of the locals. There are quite a few apartment blocks out that way, get your office to find one for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the esponse.. How long does it take on a taxi from district 1 to district 12 on a morning peak hour traffic?

Also is Tan binh area safe? Do they have good places to eat or drink?

I wanted to get the accommodation in right location therwise i will bored to death in a city where i know no one..  Lolz..

Company will choose my accommodation but i can request the area to live.. How much does furnished ac serviced apartments cost in district 1 or in Tan binh area...?

Thanks
Kams

kamsonline wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the esponse.. How long does it take on a taxi from district 1 to district 12 on a morning peak hour traffic?

Traffic is horrendous in the morning. I would guess about 45mins - 1 hour

kamsonline wrote:

Also is Tan binh area safe? Do they have good places to eat or drink?

Tan binh is safe. Many high ranking army personnels live there.

Eat & drink Im not sure.

kamsonline wrote:

I wanted to get the accommodation in right location therwise i will bored to death in a city where i know no one..  Lolz..

IMO, Phu nhuan is like the central of everything. Be it going to d12, d1, etc, its assessible. I lived there previously.

kamsonline wrote:

Company will choose my accommodation but i can request the area to live.. How much does furnished ac serviced apartments cost in district 1 or in Tan binh area...?

You can go to www dot livinginvietnam dot com to search for accomodations.

Actually the traffic wont be so bad as you are going out of the city, not into it. Sounds like you are wanting to be around expats, best if you stay in D1, not sure how your company will fell about paying 500,000 vnd per day for taxis, that adds up to a fair amount each month. Tan binh is a nice area, but you wont find any expats there, maybe the odd one here and there. I would suggest you stay in D1 till you get used to life here.

Hi colinoscapee..

Do you mean 500,000 vnd for one way trip or return trip..?

Thanks
Kamesh

That is return, its a long way from D1.

Hi.
If you work in dist. 1, you can chose a room in Binh Thanh dist. (maybe: Thu Thiem bridge or Hang Xanh intersection)
I am living there. So, it really nice to go for your work because it quite near dist. 1 (about 2km in far) and resonable cost

Hope I can help you more!
Nice day ;)

if u work saigontech, u should live near district 12, go vap and tan binh district is the best choice, and my adive is for u, if u live sai gon for long time, u should learn to ride motobike or not, u should hire motobike driver, it is cheaper than taxi,welcome to sai gon

If your office is in district 12 and still you want to stay district 1 area, better buy one motorbike. It's convenient in Saigon!

I think the Tan Binh District is a good idea. Can you ride the motorbike? It's very used full and easy to move in this city. By the motorbike, you can go everywhere to discover and research. It's very funny.
Nice to meet you.

Also....no ovens anywhere. :(

-Broken-hearted pie lover

hello! well come to vietnam, I am vietnamese, I hope to make friend with you,
if I can do anything to help you, I will try my best
please, contact me when you come vietnam.
I just a student at college, but I am enthusiastic,friendly,
nice to meet you!

If you live in Dist 1 and work in District 12,
you would be living in Parramatta and going to Kingston Airport by Paramatta ROAD everyday. The traffic is same2.

darago01 wrote:

Also....no ovens anywhere. :(

-Broken-hearted pie lover

so you love baking?me too,but dont have any oven here in my apartment,i'm thinking about buying a new one:)

hELLnoi wrote:

If you live in Dist 1 and work in District 12,
you would be living in Parramatta and going to Kingston Airport by Paramatta ROAD everyday. The traffic is same2.

Parramatta road.. Hell no  :(