Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

I can't afford something like $150 for a legal-sized envelope.

I had a credit card sent. It cost me R$58. If it's held in customs it might be much more. Too bad you didn't know someone who was traveling to USA to bring it.

Both of my banks tell me that it is either against the law or against policy to send a credit card directly to a foreign address, even if you have that foreign address on your account.  They have to send the card to my parents; house and then my mom forwards it to me.

It may be against policy or law to send the original card . What I received was a card to replace an expired one. It was Capital one. They sent it via UPS or Fedex. I don't remember for sure.  The Capitaone agent asked me enough questions to be sure I was who I said I was.  I have had to replace a card since, but that time I had a friend bring it back when he visited USA.

I've had my Paypal card cloned 4 times since arriving in Brazil.  Their cards are issued through Bankone. Paypal tells me they can't send cards, period, to foreign addresses, even if that address is on record with them. By law. I've had one Ally card expire so far and they say it has to be sent to my mom's first. I'm going to go check that right now, in fact, since it will be much quicker for them to send it here.

Ally changed their policy recently. Because my address here is on file with the bank, they are sending my new card to me here, directly.

In even better news, my birth certificate and divorce decree finally arrived. My girlfriend took them to the cartorio here in town and they will accept them once they are translated. The divorce decree has an apostille from the California Secretary of State and the birth certificate doesn't. Also, the decree they sent is only page, instead of 4 like the one they sent me back in 2009. Translation will cost me much less now.

Hi I'm waiting my brith certificate and unmarried certificate to certify from Sri Lanka brazil embassy and come here my question is I have 90 days visa and almost 21 days spend here I will receive in 15 days my documents so as soon I get documents if I take to carterio will they accept of course translate and take there because my visa will expire in 70 days so as soon I file the documents to carterio they can't send me back am I right once I marry even my visa expire I can apply permanent visa here ?

I think you will have to have any required documents for the cartoio translated. As soon as your marriage takes place and you apply for your permanency you will not be sent out of Brazil.

Once you have your documents translated you can go to the cartorio and schedule your marriage. With the receipt for that, you can go to the PF and get a CIE and RGE which will allow you to stay in Brazil indefinitely.

you can extend your 90 day visa by another 90 days

Thank you so much for your reply

your welcome.
We are all here to help

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : off topic + please start your own thread. Thank you

Hi mates I have a problem embassy called and said my documents been certified and asked my letter to bring and take the documents my friend went then she said my signature wrong then my friend explained I sent email and he showed my email too after that she said ok seems they have certified wrong way so she will certify and get back soon and call him earlier Brazilian lady called my friend was polite and said that documents been certified now my country mate working at embassy I feel like she wanna drag teh documents to make it delay my question can she refused to certify even all
My documents legalized in Sri Lanka earlier they said certified now saying certified wrongly what can I do for this already i spent a
Month here have an other two month to marry what can I do please advice
Me

Your post is very difficult to understand. You need to find out exactly what they want you to do. They have upper hand in this. do what they ask. provide the documents they want. I know it difficult. You have to satisfy them.

Jim

I already gave  whatever they wanted whatever they asked , now they said  to wait they will call soon I'm surprised they called And earlier said my documents been certified now saying they made a mistake on authentication so they will authenticate and give me again soon I believe they already authenticated they just dragging my documents

Here is a list of what it takes to get permanency based on marriage.

Application for stay based on marriage

Application for a stay based on marriage, as provided for in Administrative Rule MJ 4/2015 and related legislation (article 75, II, "a" Law No. 6815/80 and RN No. 108/2014 CNIg):
Own application, available in https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sincreWeb/;

Two (02) 3x4 size photos, recent, colorful, with white background.

Authenticated, clear and complete copy of passport or equivalent travel document;

Certified copy of marriage certificate;

Authenticated copy of the Brazilian identity card of the spouse;

Declaration that they are not separated de facto or deed, signed by the couple, with recognized firms;

Declaration that he has not been prosecuted or convicted criminally in Brazil or abroad if he has not been married for more than 5 years;

Proof of payment of the respective fee.

Revenue Code: 140066 - R $ 168.13 (Request for Permanence)

Revenue Code: 140082 - R $ 106,45 (Foreign Registration)

Revenue Code: 140120 - R $ 204.77 (Foreigner's Card)

* To check whether there is available to schedule service, reprint form 154 or generate the GRU to pay rates, click  here

Comments:

The documents issued abroad must be legalized by Brazilian consular office and translated by a sworn translator in Brazil.

The documents to be submitted by certified copies may alternatively be submitted in single copies accompanied by the original documents for authentication by the public server that receive under  § 1  of Art. 10  of Decree No.  6932 of August 11, 2009.

As far as what you need to get married. You should check with the cartorio where you will get married. It varies from one to another what they require.

good Luck

Jim

I would not trust the mail with important documents. Anyway, he will need to be present when most of his documents are presented. You need to find out a few things before he comes. How long will it take to schedule and get the marriage performed, how long is his tourist visa for. you can get a time frame from the cartorio for the marriage.  As far as proxy marriage, he will have to be here to schedule it. A student visa might also be an option. I would do it with a tourist visa if possible.

Jim

Hi
I have given my birth certificate and unmarried certificate to get certified from brazil embassy in my country. I'm in brazil now I got 90 days visa almost I spent here 45 days I need an help people say I can extend my visa an other 90 days but my question is embassy always keep changing letter requirements and asked me many details I gave all but earlier they said me 2 days she will arrange now she says will take 15 days as my country mate works there at embassy as a  vice counselor Brazilians are kind when my friend gave my documents who received the documents from my friend is Brazilian person she was kind she said my documents ready after submit it is certified then this my country mate who works at embassy she said certified wrong and need letter which I gave I called her then she said will give me in two days now saying 15 days she is doing by purposely delaying my documents so is there way I can complain about this as they are not issuing my documents certificate how do I handle this immigration lawyer or please help me

To extend your visa you need to go to PF at the end of your 90 days and request an extension. I hope this answer helps. Your post is very difficult to follow.

Jim

Does anyone know approximately how much I can expect to pay for the "registro do cartorio" after my birth certificate, divorce, and apostille are translated?  I'm getting prices for the translation from R$150 up to R$500, for the same three pages/6000 characters documents.

hello everyone, 
  a friend of mine from Philippines needs a help, we was married to a Brazilian for 3 years now, one month ago, he applied for naturalization to become a Brazilian citizen, few days ago, he had a problem with the wife and the wife asked for divorce, so now they are on divorce process. His question is that.
1. will he loose his naturalization process to become a Brazilian when they divorce?
2, he bought a new apartment base on installment for 5 years, will he loose the apartment too?
3, will his loose his permanent resident permit in Brasil? 

please help us with the answer please.

Thank you.

No, he shouldn't. He already has his residency.

My question is can brazil embassy refuse to certify my documents? Because one month before I gave my documents to certify .The lady who took my documents said within ten days she will give. Right exactly in a ten days she called my friend  and said documents are certified (as I im in brazil so he is the person gave my documents to brazil embassy). So next day an other lady she is my country citizen who is working at embassy she is a vice consular she called and said my friend need a letter from me to issue the documents with my sign at first she did not say it has to be notarized. So I send my letter with my sign then my friend went to embassy and gave my letter she took and said she will call him back as she called him and said it has to be notarized so again I made the letter notized and send then she took that and next day she called and said letter is wrong has to be written a way she explained. So I called embassy and asked how I need to be written so way they want. I have written the  letter way they want and asked embassy to issue my documents to my father at that point she said when she received my letter in a day or two she can give the documents once they received my letter from post I called embassy and asked then she said it can take more time she keeps in changing her word I feel she is taking time to run out my visa and issue the letter my question can she refuse to to certify my documents and give me back ?
As seems like she does because I'm Muslim I feel like she does religion discrimination as at embassy Brazilians are very kind at me only vice consular who is my country citizen acting like this what can I do for this ? At first she said they have certified wrongly when I asked again it is has already certified why takes time now she says she has to send my letter to Brazilian then only issue my certified documents why she does this can I take legal action against this ?

Have someone take them to your government and get an apostille applied to the documents. Then have those documents mailed to you.

Sri Lanka is not a memeber of apostille so what can I do must get anyhow embassy certified my documents? If they refuse what I do as she is doing ,not Brazilian staffs  Sri Lankan one staff work at embassy as a counselor she does this I feel I get this delay because I'm Muslim or she does not like a Sri Lankan settle in brazil what can I do for this as if she reduce or delay to issue the documents until my visa runs out any advice please

I don't know. Have someone speak with her supervisor.

You mean talks her and explains ? Or can I complain this about here in brazil can't ?

James,

Just to say I miss you dearly!!!!!    I think of you often my friend!   

Most sincerely.
John

One thing to be careful about is how you talk with them. don't accuse them of delay because you are Muslim. They have the upper hand in this and will delay you to show you that they can.  Maybe dealing with another agent or a more senior agent will get better results. This should be a simple task but it seems to be very difficult. Just make sure you have everything as they require.

Good Luck

Jim

Do you think is better talk to person who was kind at me, she is a Brazilian everytime I call Sri Lankan person pick the phone as she is speaks English so if my fiancé speaks in Portuguese she can transfer call to speak with Brazilian person so she can explain the urgency

Yes I think so. It's better to have someone who understands.

Just wanted to know how long does a permanent visa based on marriage last and when do you have to get it renewed? Also when I apply for permanency I can also apply for a work permit based on marriage correct? How long does that take to get. The VIPER is given to you the same day, right?

Hi
finally we talked with higher officer and talked in Portuguese embassy and explained what happened to us. They told us to send an email to head of consular and will sort out soon and give the documents very soon

Best regards
Rasvi

my question apply visa base on child birth in brazil is it only possible after child is born here? what about if example Brazilian girlfriend is pregnant base on that even his visa expire can he stays base on father of future kid ? still they can deport him if visa expire even his Brazilian fiance his pregnant and he is father of the kid?

The RNE lasts forever but the CIE (the card) has to be renewed every 10 years until you exceed 60 years old and then it is permanent. You can apply for a work permit immediately after you register for your permanency. You will get a protocol the same day the card usually takes 60 days. You can use the protocol to get the work permit which takes about 5 to 7 days usually. I got mine in 5.

Jim

You will need birth papers so probably you will not be able to do anything until after the birth.

Jim

I work from home, so I don't need to worry about a work permit.

rasvi, your best option is to either ask a cartorio or the PF. My guess would be that either a sworn letter from the Brazilian parent-to-be or a paternity test should be enough to get a CIE.

Yeah, a carteira de Trabalho is really not a "work Permit", just a formality to get officially employed.

To tell you the truth in my first hand experience none of this stuff is taken very seriously in Brazil at all, yes you need a Carteira to be officially employed, which is nice, but honestly no one is checking for illegal foreign workers here. Brazil is unique in that you can Survive quite happily here with no official documentation for a long time. If you are working for yourself or in an informal sector I realy would not worry to much. If you have a Brazilian wife or child you are basically legal from that point, the rest is just a formality....great system actually.

Of course having proper documentation does make things infinitely easier and open a lot of doors

So if my Brazilian. Partner is pregnant and proof of test is enough to be legalize in brazil like apply for RNE and work permit and all no need to wait till baby is born ?