Asylum on Brazilian airport

Hi sir , how are you , sir i need some information about Brazil , i am plan to go to Brazil so my point is is that possible to get a asylum on Brazilian airport as soon i arrived ? if yes then can you please guide me little bit ?

Hello dkking,

While you can ask for refugee status on arrival, it is highly unlikely as a citizen of Pakistan that your refugee claim would actually be granted. Of the over 100 claims from Pakistanis in 2013 only 32 applicants received refugee status.

If your claim is denied you are immediately removed from the country.

Hi sir, Thank you very much for your help but i am not going to apply for any political asylum , I am gonna apply for a religious asylum and hopes for the best

But what is the procedure by the way for example i am arrived now and i claim asylum and what is actually next for me like they gonna hold me in airport they will ask me questions and if my asylum is granted then they will just let me enter the country start away or they will hold me in their custody  ?

As far as I am aware you will initially be detained, make an initial informal claim for refuge and only after your case has been examined initially by CONARE (Comitê Nacional de Refugiados) would you be released to a Refugee Reception Center where you would reside during the process. If in the initial stage your claim is denied you would be ordered to leave the country voluntarily and failing that you could be deported if need be by force.

It's not just a case that anybody can arrive in Brazil (or any other nation) say I am a refugee and they just walk in and start a new life. You make a claim, it is analyzed while you are being temporarily detained, then you either get in or get sent back to where you came from.

Hi dkking > I created a new topic with your post here.

Also the basic requirement for gaining refugee status is the ability to PROVE that your life is in danger in your country of origin.

That means that unless you are actually fleeing from a civil war, massive natural disaster, you are really going to have to work hard to substantiate your claim. For example right now because of the civil war in Syria, many governments are focused on granting refugee status to those fleeing Syria because the DANGER to their lives is very real and doesn't need much more proof that the whole world already has. Brazil accepts many refugees from Haiti which will never recover from the massive earthquake that struck there.

In your particular case I can tell you that you will ABSOLUTELY NOT be granted assylum, your application probably won't even be taken if you are actually in Thailand as your profile indicates, and you are trying to use some life-threatening situation in Pakistan as the basis for your refugee claim they won't accept it at all because you are already in Thailand before coming here. The Brazilian government does not consider the present situation in Thailand any kind of emergency situation since it has not even effected tourism, so they certainly would not accept your claim that you were fleeing from some danger in Thailand either.

Hey everyone just want to know more about this asylum seekers in brazil so if you are a gay man from Jamaica can you get are seek asylum and if were do the gay man seek it

The last I heard Jamaica isn't in the middle of a civil war or other domestic uprising, and hasn't been devastated by some kind of natural disaster. So, your chances of being even considered for refugee status are absolutely ZERO. Be prepared for prompt deportation back to Jamaica should you arrive here and try and seek refugee status with just the fact that you're gay. Sorry, that's not going to work at all.

The criteria for refugee status is that there are existing conditions that place your life in real and imminent DANGER.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello I hannannia I am a Syrian or Syrian Christian Yes I say this because we are killing every day I live in Lebanon currently do not but I do not want to stay here because he does not work and I my family here five months ago I want to travel to Mark for myself a better future and life away from war devastation, I ask only that to come to accept me of your country I have suffered in the war, many of these are I and my family Help us please, we are not only Christian families but this is a digital *** Thank you very much

Hello hannannia,

Well, Brazil has accepted the refugee claim of every Syrian citizen that has applied for refugee status in this country. I would say that if you were able to obtain a VITUR Tourist Visa to come to Brazil, that you could apply for refugee status upon arrival and the chances are excellent that you'd be granted it.

You should contact the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Beirute to apply for the visa. You actually may even be able to apply for refugee status directly through the Consulado. Have someone you trust phone them (or go there) and ask if you can apply for refugee status in Brazil at the Consulado (don't go yourself just to ask, and tell the person not to give your name - just that you are Syrian).

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you James does not but I do not have the money that we put a very very very bad please help me if you want to come and see our situation we suffer Help us against humanity

Well, the only way that you can get refugee status in Brazl (if you can't apply directly through the Consulado-Geral in Beirute), would be to apply for a VITUR Tourist Visa, come to Brazil and make your refugee claim immediately upon arrival here. I'm sorry, but I can't help you in any way with that.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Well thank you very much tomorrow I will go to Brazil Embassy in Beirut when we go to any embassy say you must be registered at the United Nations and my family and I we were not allowed to even stopped recording because they say what do we do and thank you

Hello everyone
I am from Yemen and I plan to travel in the middle of my trip there is a transit in Brazilian  airport I am planning to claim refugee there. Providing that I have stayed in Malaysia and Tanzania for a while but I left because the lengthy process of assessment of refugee status and the prohibition of work, study or practicing normal life in these aforementioned countries,  would the fact of having been to these countries for a couple of months in each, effect my changes of acceptance.
Thank you

Hello sir how are you and my question is that How to claim an asylum while in my transit in Brazil airport ...I'm Eritrean

Hi there,
Did you get any answer of question ? I looking for same answer.

Thank you.

ABD2017

You can ask at the point where you go through immigration. If you have an onward ticket they will probably not grant it. But that is the only advice I have.

Jim

As James said "CONARE (Comitê Nacional de Refugiados) would you be released to a Refugee Reception Center where you would reside during the process. If in the initial stage your claim is denied you would be ordered to leave the country voluntarily and failing that you could be deported if need be by force."

This can take a long time and the committee is made up of governmental officials, rlegious and charity parties.

It was said that the majority of cases of refugees are accepted at airport.

sakraan wrote:

It was said that the majority of cases of refugees are accepted at airport.

Only accepted as being put into a refugee centre and going through the processing procedure.

Sir.
Is it possible for tge refugee to visit their families in his home country and come back to brasil with his refugee paper(protocol paper)

Jr3 wrote:

Sir.
Is it possible for tge refugee to visit their families in his home country and come back to brasil with his refugee paper(protocol paper)

If you're an Indian citizen living in India, it's highly doubtful that you'll be successful in obtaining refugee status in Brazil.
But, to answer your question, yes, once you have been given your RNM -- your National Migrant Registry number, which appears on your Protocolo, you should be able to travel abroad and return to Brazil.

Hi sir,

I hope you are well and healthy,  I am from Afghanistan we have more problems at here & my life is in danger due to this I want to come to Brazil(GRU airport,) , I want to stay at the airport and I want get asylum at there , can you tell me does they will accept my refugee at the air port please,
After asylum how much time will take for leaving the airport and entry to sao Paulo city,
Thank you,

Khwaja Haroon,

See Texasbrazil's post five posts above yours, and James Woodward's post of 15 August 2014, farther up the thread.  This is still Brazil's procedure for processing refugee requests.   From the airport, you will be taken to a Refugee Reception Center, where you will reside until your claim is heard and resolved, probably several weeks, at least.

They do accept, with a lot of proof. The DPF will interview you and make a decision to say yes or no. If no you will be asked to leave.
If approved, CONARE (Comitê Nacional de Refugiados) takes over and you be released to a Refugee Reception Center where you would reside during the process.
If in the initial stage your claim is denied you would be ordered to leave the country voluntarily and failing that you could be deported if need be by force."
There are Federal Public attorneys that can help you, but based in Brasilia and take awhile.
The process is long.

This can take a long time and the committee is made up of governmental officials, religious and charity parties. With migration some many S.A. and Central America, I would believe the process is much longer than my original post.
Wishing you the best.

And how would he enter Brazil? A tourist visa? He has to declare his purpose in coming here. They also would require a 2 way ticket which would embolden PF to send him back right away.

Unless you are politically persecuted or there is an imminent danger of losing your life due to government action, the chance is almost nil.

Syria is an exception due to indiscriminate bombing or gassing of its citizens by their own govt.

robal

Great point(s) Robal.
For a visitor visa, along with r/t tickets, he may require employer letter and other documents.

Khwaja this may be "way above our pay grade"! Hopefully someone here that has done asylum and help more.

Hi jammes how are you sir
I want to ask that it is possible to get asylum if come with my family to brazil on tourist visa than in brazil after tourist visa can i claim refugee asylum and will they approve my refugee status because in origin country in pakistan where i come from i have been targeting threating irriating they are trying to harm us facing of danger life of because political issues in pakistan from opposition parties. im the member and worker of political group in pakistan i have allready complained fir in police station in pakistan but me and my family is not feeling protection in pakistan.

Khansaab
James is no longer with us may he RIP.
It is possible, but there are many questions and internment until you have an answer.
The bottom line is we can not know what will happen. This involves PF and adjudication.
With the COVID at high levels, I would not want to be in an overcrowded camp awaiting for an answer. The system has a large backlog and it can take some time.
Wish you well. Having a tourist visa will give you some time to present yourself at the airport and may get an idea.

Thank you verry much for your time.

I  am a Ghanaian,because I am gay my life is in danger by my society and the government all because gay is not acceptable in my country and Ghana is Visa free to Bolivia. Please can seek asylum in Brazil on transit to Bolivia?

soppong948 wrote:

I  am a Ghanaian,because I am gay my life is in danger by my society and the government all because gay is not acceptable in my country and Ghana is Visa free to Bolivia. Please can seek asylum in Brazil on transit to Bolivia?

Do you desire to have asylum or just transit in Brazil?
Asylum is a long process a you would be held in a camp until your hearing.
I believe you can stay in the transit area in a Brazil airport for a connection to Bolivia.
Land borders remain closed, so no crossing broders via land.

soppong948 wrote:

You should start a new thread on here instead of reviving an old one.  You might receive more attention and replies. Good luck

James wrote:

The last I heard Jamaica isn't in the middle of a civil war or other domestic uprising, and hasn't been devastated by some kind of natural disaster. So, your chances of being even considered for refugee status are absolutely ZERO. Be prepared for prompt deportation back to Jamaica should you arrive here and try and seek refugee status with just the fact that you're gay. Sorry, that's not going to work at all.

The criteria for refugee status is that there are existing conditions that place your life in real and imminent DANGER.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Soppong948,
I made a call to a PF Public defender in Brasilia who handles some asylum cases. Our good friend James, may he rest in peace, is correct. The information above still applies in Brazil.
It is a great shame your situation does not apply in the world today, but he believes your claim would be denied.

Good luck and blessings to you.

Hello I am Maju Jalloh I'm from Sierra Leone I have a venezeula visa it is possible to seek asylum at brazil airport when I'm transiting?

@jallohmaju

Welcome.

If you cannot return to your country because your life, physical integrity, or freedom are at risk or under threat, you can apply for asylum in Brazil. The National Committee for Refugees (Conare) is the Brazilian government body responsible for analyzing every application and making decisions in each case.

Brazil recognizes as a refugee any individual who left his/her country of origin due to a well-founded fear of persecution on the grounds of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership of a particular social group, or due to severe and widespread violations of human rights in the country of origin.

The visa will not allow entry. it is your passport and all background information.

@Texanbrazil

James gone???

Daaamn

Lord have his soul

Yes, James was murdered.

He was a friend and helped me when I first arrived.

We miss you, James. RIP

@James hi James, I am holding diplomatic passport from Afghanistan right now I am in Iran I can fly via Qatar-Brazil to Bolivia but I am not sure if I can enter Bolivia I was wondering if I can file asylum in Brazil at the airport and I am afraid if they refuse what would happen to me if they deport me back to Afghanistan. Any guidance please