Brazilian wife

My wife is from Brazil we got married in October in the USA in January she went back to Brazil to tie up some loose ends I am going down in July for 2 weeks and she is coming back with me we only have a one way ticket for her and the marriage license are we going to encounter problems returning to the US with her

Lcarp. Does she have a green card or just a tourist visa? You might find out that a round trip ticket will be cheaper. It all depends on the airline as far as her ticket. They may not allow it.

Jim

Lcarp,

If your wife has a valid tourist visa, that's all she needs.  Showing a marriage certificate to Immigration while presenting a tourist visa may just confuse matters.  If you're planning on staying in the US indefinitely, your safest bet at this point is probably to bring her in on her tourist visa, then apply immediately to change her status, based on your marriage.
As Jim says, whether or not the airline will allow her to board with a one-way ticket is an airline policy call, based on the fact that, if they fly someone to the US and that person is refused admission, they're on the hook for the return flight.  A call to the airline should settle it for you.

Her sister and brother-in-law in Brazil bought the tickets as a wedding present

The reason I ask is they always ask for a two-way ticket at immigration

Lcarp1551 wrote:

The reason I ask is they always ask for a two-way ticket at immigration

My Brazilian husband has never  been asked that by Immigration in Miami.  We live in  Brazil, though, and always have round-trip tickets, so they may already be able to see that in their system.

If she always gets asked at your usual port of entry, then it sounds like you'll want to have the "right" answer.  You can always change the return for a credit on an open ticket later.

@Lcarp1551 FUTURE ALERT: This sounds a heck of a lot of what happened with me 23 years ago. You may have, but if not REGISTER THE MARRIAGE WITH THE BRAZILIAN CONSULATE where you live in America. @abthree will guide you to the right one.  I am currently back in America 24 years later for that reason. If you do not the Catoria in Brazil will not recognize the marriage.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

02/25/24  @abthree will guide you to the right one.  I am currently back in America 24 years later for that reason.Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Just a FYI.  Today, I would radically change the advice that I gave to @Lcarp1551 six years ago (how time flies!) 

I  would no longer suggest that US citizens bring their Brazilian spouses to the US and apply for a status change there.  Since that time, US Immigration had gotten very tough on people who get married in the US with the intent of applying to change the Brazilian spouse's status in the US after the wedding, and will probably get tougher still.  In 2024, it's probably safer to apply for a Spousal Visa if already married in Brazil:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … pouse.html

Or a Fiancé(e) Visa if the couple's intent is to marry in the US:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-of- … s-citizens

At any rate, be sure to contact the US Consulate in advance for guidance.