Close

What is the Proxy Marriage process in Brazil

Dear Experts,

I am an Indian, I am engaged with one Brazilian girl, Now we have decided to get married, Can you please let me know the process of Proxy Marriage. Is it valid as per Brazil Law?.

Yes, a proxy marriage (casamento por procuração) is valid by Brazilian law. However you must both attend the Cartório de Registro Civil together in order to arrange a proxy marriage and name your proxy. Also you need to provide all of the necessary documents that are required for any foreign national marrying in Brazil.

So, in order to marry by proxy you must first obtain a visa and be in Brazil to arrange it, you must both go to the Cartório, and you must have the right documents. The Power of Attorney (Procuração Publico) would be valid for 90 days.

See the following topic for more information:

http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi good evening every one.
I have completed my documents for proxy marriage now we are couple in Brazil cartorio now how's I apply visa explain me some 1 please

Your information is difficult to understand. Have you completed the paperwork for the proxy marriage or has the marriage actually taken place. You cannot apply for a viper until the marriage actually happens.

Jim

What is the meaning of a proxy marriage if there first a foreigner will have to obtain a  Visa and then first will have to notify at the civil registry office and name a proxy, How come, a foreigner would not prefer to simply get married by civil marriage if he would just have to come to the Brazil by Visa. I find your answer very illogical or you are just speaking without any exact information at all.
I suppose that if it is allowed then a single partner is enough to register after collecting all the valid documents, right from apostle  Power of attorney to all the Valid and proper documents needed from the other partner's country, Power of attorney proper attested and all valid documents checked from the Brazilian Embassy in the partner country?
Is there anybody else who can give more proper answer regarding this ?

You have been given the proper answer. Both parties have to be present at the Cartório to arrange for the proxy marriage. The purpose of the proxy marriage is to obtain someone to stand in for the half of the couple who cannot be present. you are correct if you have to be here to arrange it you may as well just do the civil ceremony.

Jim

Expatriate health insurance in Brazil

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Brazil

Moving to Brazil

Find tips from professionals about moving to Brazil

Travel insurance in Brazil

Enjoy stress-free travel to Brazil