Moving to Ambergris

Hello all.
My name is John and will be retiring/moving to Ambergris at the end of August.  Any help on these questions is much appreciated.

1) Can I use a Magic Jack phone while in Belize?

2) Is there any need to open a Club Correo/Florida PO box in order to receive vitamin pills or other small incidentals from the US?

3) I plan to stay at Pedro's or The Hutz in Ambergris the last week in August then maybe move to The Clositers or some other apartment in September. My budget for housing is around $800. 

I look forward to meeting some of you in a few months.

John A.

John A Miner wrote:

Hello all.
My name is John and will be retiring/moving to Ambergris at the end of August.  Any help on these questions is much appreciated.

1) Can I use a Magic Jack phone while in Belize?

2) Is there any need to open a Club Correo/Florida PO box in order to receive vitamin pills or other small incidentals from the US?

3) I plan to stay at Pedro's or The Hutz in Ambergris the last week in August then maybe move to The Clositers or some other apartment in September. My budget for housing is around $800. 

I look forward to meeting some of you in a few months.

John A.

Welcome!  I live in Corozal and use the Magic Jack all the time to make and receive phone calls from the US.

Receiving small incidentals from the US is problematic!  I just had to travel to Belize Airport to pay duty on and pick up a UPS package.  Any USPS packages go to the local post office.  I walk there to pay duty on those.  Are you certain your vitamins aren't available here in Belize?

Have a safe trip and enjoy Belize!

Thanks for the info.

The Club Correo/Fla PO Box was something I was going to set up when I moved to Ecuador (Now I'm moving to Belize). With this PO box I could receive packages under 8 Lb. and $400 value without any problems or cost.

I will definitely purchase a Magic Jack.

Can you recommend a place in Corozal that has a 3 month lease?
Corozal might be a good starting point before I find something permanent in Ambergris.

Thanks for the info

John A Miner wrote:

Thanks for the info.

The Club Correo/Fla PO Box was something I was going to set up when I moved to Ecuador (Now I'm moving to Belize). With this PO box I could receive packages under 8 Lb. and $400 value without any problems or cost.

I will definitely purchase a Magic Jack.

Can you recommend a place in Corozal that has a 3 month lease?
Corozal might be a good starting point before I find something permanent in Ambergris.

Thanks for the info

Hi John. I looked at Club correos I found this.  .  If you need to make some purchases in the US because you can't find a product here in Cuenca, Club Correos, a service of the Ecuador mail system, is an inexpensive and reliable way to get them here.

I don't believe it would work at all here.  I've never heard of anyone here using it....  And the website states it's a service of the Ecuador mail system.  Pricing is fairly expensive. 

Staying in Corozal....   Do you want a hotel or a house or something in between?  I know several people who set up a long(ish) term lease ...  Like 3 months....  At p,aces like The Sea Breeze Hotel where they have a private room with hot showers, etc.  you can research it and others online.  Not luxury, but definitely would do the job.  Also, the owner, Gwyn Lawrence, may know of other accommodations that might suit you better.... 

The water taxi leaves at 7am daily from Corozal to the Cayes and it's a two hour lovely ride.

Best!

Cathie

Thanks I will check out the Sea Breeze.

Good luck with your move.

My wife and I moved from he UL to Ambergris Caye just over a year ago. Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

John A Miner wrote:

Thanks I will check out the Sea Breeze.

The hotel Maya has a 2 bedroom available right now with just a month to month lease...or a 6 month lease if you prefer.

I checked out Hotel Maya and it seems like a great place to start my Belize adventure. I sent them an Email and mentioned 4Evr-Hawk had referred me.  Let me buy you a drink when I show up at the end of August.

John A Miner wrote:

I checked out Hotel Maya and it seems like a great place to start my Belize adventure. I sent them an Email and mentioned 4Evr-Hawk had referred me.  Let me buy you a drink when I show up at the end of August.

Rosey the manager calls me Mr. Bruce...she'll point you to my place. Looking forward to that drink.

Any suggestions on getting from Belize City Airport to Corozal.

I have a $125 quote from MENZIES TRAVEL & TOURS LTD.  It's a Van and it will take 100 minutes.  Not sure of all the connections to get on the Bus to get to Corozal.

I asuem your are from the US - If so Do you fly into Belize City or Cancun?

John A Miner wrote:

Any suggestions on getting from Belize City Airport to Corozal.

I have a $125 quote from MENZIES TRAVEL & TOURS LTD.  It's a Van and it will take 100 minutes.  Not sure of all the connections to get on the Bus to get to Corozal.

I asuem your are from the US - If so Do you fly into Belize City or Cancun?

I have my car here, so that's the way I travel. But the Bus would be very cheap. I have not used their bus or cabs here, so not sure of the price. But others here should have that info, maybe they will chime in :>)

Yes I'm from Arizona

I should also mention there is an airport in Corozal...you can google it. They have flights in and out of here