Mixed couple American/Vietnamese inquiring about Khobar compound life

Seeking advice:

I have spent much of my life in SE Asia. The majority of my friends are from SE Asia.

Sorry, but she will be viewed as"the help" outside compounds (and possibly in, depending on the people you encounter). People here (in Western communitites) can be cliquish. I have not heard of Vietnamese domestic workers, but to many people here Asian is all the same. Of course, every one is different so you will find people who will treat you both well. Where I live in Riyadh many of the married couples are mixed nations marriages.

A way to get around it (outside the compound) is if she wears abaya, hijab, and niqab. But many people are not comfortable with wearing all of it. It took a few months but I wear it all and find I am treated much better with it on than without.

If you can find some social groups (stuff like the hash house walkers/runners) you will be able to make friends. It is a toss up on any compound, but she should be able to find someone to chat with.

Good luck!

Xenolol,

Thanks for the advice.  We have lived and worked in Indonesia and Malaysia.  Very different Muslims countries than Saudi.  Hovever, we are aware of some of the customs.  Wearing of abaya, hijab, and niqab is something new but is accepted.  We have come to know from your advice and other input that living in the right compound will be required.

Any advice from other members?  Can anyone advise the names of western compounds in Khobar that have a mix of people from the west with some Asians or mixed couples?  Advise on compounds that have a good 'Toddler' population?  Or both?  Thanks

I'm a Vietnamese and my husband is a Korean man. My youngest daughter will be 2 years old this September. Actually i've just come here for a week & have to go back to Korea soon. Hope to see you guys soon someday when i come back to Al Khobar & if you are still in Al Khobar ^^

hello,
did you come with your wife ?i am vietnamese and living in dhahran,hear khobar, with my husband and looking for vietnamese friends. my email is [email protected]
thuy