Safety and school

Hi all

My husband been offered a job in Tripoli and we are considering it. We want to know how safe the place is at present, and whether they are expat families there already. How about the international schools? Been reading previous forum, and been researching the schools, any idea if the Brtitish school will be opened and how about new international schools? Also where does the expat lives, compound....Thanks a lot

Hi,
I am in the same boat. However, according to some research that I have done things are improving. I would just start by monitoring Google on a regular basis to see the current news. Just use  'Libya' as the key phrase.

Residence. I have not found out too much yet; however, I have found that Palm City, just outside of Tripoli, is the best place to live. Expensive, but likely worth it if you have a family. [link moderated]

Hope this helps.

Tripoli is safe now and we do have international schools working here.

Dear Angelica.

Things have improved greatly in Tripoli. Not perfect, but we have witnessed a great improvement. It is important not to do stupid things like being aggresive or disrispecting local culture or religion, dressing carefully and move around safely.
But there are more and more expats considering bringing their families to Tripoli

Travel to the interior is still tricky, but Libya is no more dangerous than many latin american or african countries.
If you expect Dubai or Tunis, we are not there yet, but this is not the Kabul or Baghdad some people want to picture.

I've been here for over 1 year and I am amazed at how Libyans have managed to steer clear of the mayhem that everyone predicted after the end of the war.

I hope I was helpful.

J

Hi Angelica1!

I think British school is still closed this year 2013-2014
We, Filipinos, dont go out much but whenever we ride a taxi we go home safe. Libyans are sweet and have respect to other nationalities. Just have to smile to them and treat them as if they are your families.

[moderated: no free ads + register your school in the business directory]

Hope this help you in someways.

Moving with kids to libya

Hi everyone.my husband got a job in Benghazi and we are supposed to move there in two weeks time but im wondering if it is safe especially moving with two kids ages 5 and 3.if someone can assist me with information on schools and accomadation.if Benghazi is not safe we could stay in Tripoli(if its any safer)and husbaand can visit us there.Any help please.

Well I have been in Libya now for 8 years and was here during the revolution.

Its all very confusing right now specially the last 3 months I guess to make a decision you should wait for a month or so. I have 3 kids 2 school going and you don't feel really safe lately