Living in Luanda - Angola

Hello everybody,

I am going with my husband to Luanda the nex month and we would like to know about the living conditions and the prices (rent, food, etc). How much do you need monthly to live modestly but confortably?

thanks a lot and if you want to write in portuguese, spanish or french... no problem!!

mara

Hey Mara!

Are you going to work there?
Sadly, we don't live "modestly" anymore, Luanda is as expensive as Paris!

I am currently based in Luanda, Angola you may ask me or write to me on [email protected]

hello
my family is based in shanghai for 2 years now.my husband is german and i am a filipina.my 2 boys 14 and 11 are studying in one of the international schools here but we might be moving to luanda earliest in aug.2008.my greatest fear is of course the living standards,groceries and good hospitals.i had written to luanda international school but i was told there are a number of students on waiting lists.frankly i am enjoying shanghai as i am working 3x a week singing in one of the hotels as my part time job.but of course my husband will be assigned in angola and my kids and i dont want to go back to germany.if you have time can you tell me some information about luanda.what should i bring in case we moved there?do you know if there are some asian shops available?i really have no idea,my husband have been there 2x but only for a bussiness trip.we also would like to experience how is it to live in angola but there are so many questions unanswered.i hope you can help me.
thanks and best regards
mel

Mel...
I am Angolan and lived in Luanda.
Maybe what I'll say will not be this perfect because I am not fond at all of the place...
As far as Asians are concerned, we have a huge Korean community, and recently, Chinese workers made their entrance to the sight (mostly, only men). I have no clue about a familyfriendly community. Koreans have been in Angola for so long, that maybe on their side... But I don't know.

Good hospitals... hmm, forget that. There are expensive clinics, but even Angolan people (who can afford it) rather go to South Africa get treated. Our doctors are great, but sadly the conditions are not the best to show off their talent...

With two kids, if you're not used to this kind of urban jungle, you'd rather go to Germany. But then again. Go for a visit. You might actually like it.

You'll have a higher life standard as many of the foreigners have, and that may include an extra car with a driver ;-) It's useful in that city of my father's ;-) (yes, I am not from Luanda, can you tell ? :-P), and you can have a nice life if you put the money in it. It's a very expensive city.
We use US Dollars (if you are paid in Euros, you win) but going to the supermarket, the bill can go up to 200$. Going to dinner in a fancy restaurant, the bill will be the same. To get in a nice pub/disco, you have to pay 20/30$. That's average.
Go and see for yourself as I am not the best guide to the capital (to the bushes maybe, because I love roadtrip in the savana). You might love what I don't :-)

Hi I am an Egyptian Dentist , I work and live in Canada right now , want to know if it is easy to establish a dental clinic in Luanda , and if language is a big deal , where to live , and if I need to have governemet approval to start a bussiness
thank you

egycan > maybe you should start a new discussion ?

Hi sorry , I should do that

THANK YOU FOR YOUR GOOD Heart, JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL am miss Jane, [email protected]