Food Names & Recipies

Sorry if this is not appropriate.

I used to live in Luanda in the early 90s, and I remember some of the food.

I've looked everywhere, and googled, but can't find the name of this food item. it is not a main meal. It was a sort of fish paste or pate made I think of ground fish and bird eye peppers, or similar.

Does anyone know what this is called? Do you have a recipe? it was usually eaten as snack or appetiser, and spread on something like bread.

You can tell my memory is foggy.

As feel free to post you favourite recipes too.

Thank You.

Hi zer0 and welcome to Expat.com!

A little introduction might be appreciated.;)

Harmonie.

I'm not that interesting. But I lived there due to my dad's job, as well as Brazil, South Africa, and Jamaica.

I like to cook and I cook many dishes from where I've lived, though Angola not so much, which I'm hoping to change.

I did eat Angola fare, but in our household there was a French and Congo influence as  well.

However this was one thing we did eat at home, but also other places.

hi your description is vague. Try to describe it as much as you can and maybe i will be able to help you.

Well how may spicy ground fish dishes are there? It is not something you would mistake for something else say, solid. It is a defiantly a paste, somewhat wet, but spreadable.

Actually two post are missing that were previously in this discussion, someone else replied and I put some wiki link to explain ground/fish. Data integrity problem....

I'm starting to wonder if it is was aid rations, as a source of protein. That would be a funny story if that was the case, because it was quite nice. I'm pretty sure we had in the governor of Benguela's house, when we stayed there. I don't think we brought our own food, but I suppose it is possible. In that case it would be our cook who will be long dead as he was old then, he was Angola but stayed in Congo for a while and worked in French an Congolese restaurants.

Alternatively it could be possible, that had it at ours and because people were very hospitable, they may have recreated it.

These dishes are all that i can think of google them for images
Muamba, mufete, funge, muzungue, Macaiabo, i will post more if i happen to remember.
Where are you from?

I can rule out Muamba, mufete, funge. I don't know the other two.

The closest think I have found is Molho cru, but it doesn't have a fish in it, but rather seved with fish.

I guess it is not Angolan, it might be congalese.

It is defiantely pinkish in colour, from red chilli. Cumin is quite a distictive taste which I don't think is in there.

UK

What about calulu? It's got fish in it.

Calulu is nice, but I remember it as a separate dish. Besides it has green in it.

The paste I'm talking about is very inform and opaque. Like pate, but slightly wetter. It is like as accompaniment or snack, not a dish. I think I may have been mistaken in thinking it was Angolan.

I actually made Caruru the other day, I also used to live in Brazil, though I made in a much thicker style. Lots of shimp, lots of ground nuts, okra and palm oil.

I also lived in Jamaica. In Caribbean there is something called Callaloo, which is unrelated to Calulu, but also has its origins in west Africa.