Moving to Angola

Hello Guys!

I am new here, this is going to be my first post, but I have plenty of questions about Angola/Luanda as we may move there in the next few months for a new job for my husband. I would appreciate any information related or unrelated to my questions, anything that may help us decide whether to go. We are from Hungary, lived all over the globe, but have just been through almost 2 years of Egypt (very much of a nightmare), and a bit concerned about Africa in general, especially as we have two young children in the age of 2 and 3. Anyway I've gathered my question in bullet points, so please expat Luandians help me out with them.

1.       Healthcare. I have read and heard that US and Chinese investors are building medical centers, but have not found anything about the current situation. How is healthcare compared to a good ‘European' standard? Are doctors good? Are the local or also expats? Have locals done studies at reasonable medical schools? What can the healthcare provide you there? Can you make your pregnancy and delivery through there or is it better to do it abroad? Are there any good dental clinics? Can you do general check-ups there (MRI, CT, ultrasound, x-rays)?

2.       I would like to find some housekeepers/maids there, and have heard that you can actually find really good ones there. Also heard that they only speak Portugese, except the Filipinas of course. Can you find local ones with high standards of cleaning and taking care of kids, is it better to hire Filipinas (I have heard there are some in Luanda)? Though we have negative experiences of Filipinas from Egypt… Are there agencies assisting with the hiring of housekeepers/nannies/chefs/etc?

3.       I am heavily gluten-allergic. Anybody can give me a heads-up whether there is any selection of gluten-free food there?

4.       How about general safety, can you go out for shopping alone or with kids?

5.       Housing, compounds. Are these expat compounds gated, guarded? Are they clean? Can you go out for a walk inside or out of the compound? I have heard that the beach downtown is pretty popular for doing some jogging. Is it true? Can you buy electrical household appliances in Luanda, or is it better to bring along from abroad?

6.       What can you do on weekends? Are there any country clubs, golf courses, beaches, clubs, bars? What do normally expats do on weekends?

7.       Also heard that mosquitos are pretty bad in a certain time of the year? How it works, do you really need to sleep with mosquito nets around the beds?

8.       How is schooling? I read that there is a really good international school, but waiting time could be 1 year +? Does it worth it, is it really good? Are there any alternatives for schooling, like a kindergarten, nursery or pre-school for a 3+ year old?

Much appreciated any advice in advance!

Best regards,

Mariann

Hi Mariann,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for posting your questions here.

I also invite you to read other topics on the Angola forum.

Hope you will get some information very soon.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi Mariann!
I will try to answer to some of your questions:
1. Healthcare is a big issue in Luanda, all expats go to the international clinic which is pretty good but I think you can not monitor your pregnancy here. you would better come after your delivery (it is my opinion)
2. Angolan maids do a great job don't worry about that
3. The safety depends of the area,you can go to supermarkets of course but you can also be mugged when showing signs of wealth.
4. housing depends of your husband's company, there a very good compounds and building in Luanda.
5. For the electronincs households I can give you the adress of a fairly priced shop where you can find the brand TEFAL.
6. We sleep with mosquito net undeed :)

Hi Louize30,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thanks Louize30 ! I have mixed feelings about it...not really in a good mood since I found out our possible move to Angola is real now.:( but I appreciate your reply so much! Have a nice day!

Potyi wrote:

Thanks Louize30 ! I have mixed feelings about it...not really in a good mood since I found out our possible move to Angola is real now.:( but I appreciate your reply so much! Have a nice day!

You are welcome dear ;)
Don't be afraid, it is really a good experience, I am sure you will appreciate Luanda's lifestyle ;)
Feel free if you have another question
Have a nice day ;)

Hi Marian,
I am living in Luanda, its been 2.5 years now.
We live in Talatona, South Luanda, which is quiter, safer, and no traffic.
All the best condominios are in South Luanda. We have big expat wife community.

Yully

MRI, CT~2000$, ultrasound, x-rays

All above you can do ,but at incredible prices.I have experienced and I wishing do not to have the same bad luck,too.
Some clinics they have equipment, but very seldom you can find a proper doctor, with all respect for this science,medical system is at ground level.Not to scare you ,but nobody giving birth chile in Angola, most of wives are going outside of country.
Ordinary blood analysis ~500$ .

malaria and Dengue fever are the most worries here,but not to much, too.You'll not regret it of course if no longer than 3 years.

I am from neighborhood.
Dan

Thanks a lot guys! It looks like we will be traveling soon just to look around and see what is Angola like.
I am so worried about malaria and also about being pregnant there.:( we already have two boys but I am ready now to have a little girl...as you all saying it is not a good idea...

can i used travel card with us dollar in Luanda?

please help.

-udi