Mailing and Receiving Packages in Kuwait

Hello, everyone!

Can you please tell me if packages can be sent and especially received through the regular postal office service?
From my country (Romania - EU) packages can be mailed to Kuwait, but I am not sure how it works to pick them up?

Are there custom taxes to be paid?
Can an expat receive packages?
What is a reliable mailing service that I can use?
Can an APO box be purchased for a civilian?
There are several items that I need from back home and can't afford to bring them as excess baggage (I have to pay 17 USD per kilo), nor I want/can repurchase them here.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions...

Come on guys help the lady out, someone knows.......don't be shy

Thanks, vindaloolad! :)

Hello I'm resident in Kuwait and have a good experience with shipping. I'll try to answer your questions.

ladystorm wrote:

Hello, everyone!

Can you please tell me if packages can be sent and especially received through the regular postal office service?

Theoretically Yes but actually No because the official post service here in kuwait is so bad and 90% of times you won't get your package.

From my country (Romania - EU) packages can be mailed to Kuwait, but I am not sure how it works to pick them up?

If the package is shipped by mail (Regular or registered) you'll receive it from Safat post office in Kuwait city but this option is highly not recommended because here in kuwait the post service is so bad.

Are there custom taxes to be paid?

May be, Depends on the type of your package. Some items you'll pay customs for sure (electronics, machines, Big packages..etc) but other items you won't pay customs (CDs, Documents, Small gifts..etc)

Can an expat receive packages?

Any resident in kuwait holding valid ID (Madnia) can receive packages.

What is a reliable mailing service that I can use?

DHL , Fedex, UPS or Aramex.. I have tried them all

DHL is the fastest with very friendly customer service but expensive - Located in Ardiya industrial Area.

Fedex is fast, reliable and cheaper than DHL - located in Shuwaikh industrial area (Behind MAC)

UPS is not a common courier here but still good and cheap - located in Al-Dajeej Area (Near Sultan center wholesale)

Aramex is a good option and cheap but customer service/support there is not professional. - Located in Ardiya industrial area.

Can an APO box be purchased for a civilian?

Officially YES but practically NO because most times they refuse and say there is no available boxes at this time. This can be solved by mediation (Known in kuwait as "WASTA") which means someone you know there to make it for you as compliment, another solution is to pay someone who does not need his Box and get it for you.

NOTE: For a company it's easier to get a P.O Box

There are several items that I need from back home and can't afford to bring them as excess baggage (I have to pay 17 USD per kilo), nor I want/can repurchase them here.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions...

Final Word if you need your items to come safely without any problems ..etc, Forget official post and use DHL/Fedex/UPS/Aramex

Any other questions I can help ! :)

Outstanding many thanks

thank you very much, madoo!!!

if you use the regular mail (i.e. snail mail) your package will take a long time to arrive, and then it will be subject to i inspection etc. to receive it you'd need to register with your local post branch, which basically means find the nearest telecom building (huge grey tower with lots of dishes on top) and go there early in the morning, go downstairs and sign up. you get this awesome looking key and a box. if you get a package, they'll place a note inside the box for u to take to the customer service window. not all goods get taxed etc. but u never know. it depends on whts in the package and on whos looking at it.

if you are employed, you can use your company's address to receive stuff (be sure to ask them first).

the other places like aramex, dhl, ups etc. will deliver to your doorstep, so u dont need a PO Box.

i didnt knew all that.thanks for info legacy and madoo.

thanks for info legacy!

Although there is no postal delivery system, if you have packages sent to the Post Office/ Communications Ministry Bldg in your area you can get packages ONLY IF your mibile number is on the outside of the package so they can call you.  Otherwise, you will likely not get your package.