Please help - possibly have to move to Kuwait

Hi Everyone,

We are expecting my husband to get a good job offer in Kuwait and depending on a couple  of other factors, we might be making the move.  Once this desicion has been made, we will have 3 weeks to get our act together and be on our way, so needless to say, our time is short and we have a lot of uncertainties.  I was hoping you will be able to provide some answers on the following questions:

1) The hubby has a UK passport and the company will sort out his visa, but what about me?  Will I be able to apply for a work permit once I get there or should I find a job before we go over?

2) I have a Bachelors degree in Accounting Science  (BCompt) - and have finished one year of my audit articles - on-route to becoming a CA.  What are my job options over there?  Is there good opportunities for woman?

3) Will I be able to complete my honours degree at an accredited university?

4) What is life like over there for expand woman - I understand woman are considered "less"?

5) If wanting to maintain a lifestyle equal to a R50,000 net monthly income RSA, what kind of salary should you expect to earn in Kuwait, taking living cost into consideration ie. what would the average monthly expenses be for a married couple (incl rent and car hire, etc), living comfortably?

6)  We have two cats.  Is the country pet friendly or will it be better to make sure they are cared for in SA?

7)  I know that it would be a great adjustment, but how is life over there as a whole?

I would really appreciate any advise or insights you could offer and I apologise if some of my questions are ignorant.  I do not mean to offend.  My husband and I am both well travelled, however neither one of us have ever had the pleasure of travelling to one of the gulf countries and we realise the culture differs vastley from anything we are used to.

Looking forward to you responses and thanx in advance.

Landi

Hello Landi and welcome to the forum - I will try to answer some of your concerns.

1. You will initially get here via dependent visa where your husband will be your sponsor. You are free to look for a job once here, and once you find one, your future employer will become your sponsor and your visa will be converted to work visa. So in short, once you find a job, you will get a work permit.

3. I understand the options are generally limited in this regard, but it might be better for your profession.

4. I wouldn't agree that women are treated as lesser beings, just differently. However there is nothing preventing you to live your life the same way as if you were a guy. :)

5. The same amount will allow a single person or even a couple to live comfortably here. As for the expenses, search around the forum, it has been discussed a lot.

6. Not sure what you mean by "pet friendly"....most would not hesitate to run over a cat. But we have two cats of our own that we have brought over, and they seem to be very happy with their life. :) There is a bit of paperwork involved but nothing too difficult. I suggest you bring them over, it will help to keep your sanity.

7. After two years I would say in a nutshell that life can be described as either relaxed or boring, depending who you ask. There are two major problems: the amount of red tape to do anything (however after you sort out the basics this mostly becomes a non-issue), and the ridiculous level of reckless driving which we will never get used to for a simple reason that I did not come here to die or become a disabled person. This will not affect you much if you stay in more urban areas or don't have to drive longer distances to work. There is also a problem where you meet interesting people who eventually become your friends and then leave, as many of them don't stay long.

If it helps, we also traveled a lot and this was out first contact with Middle East.

Hey, life is beautiful here.
You both have great future here.

Women are well respected in this country.

You will enjoy for sure.

Looking forward to see you in Kuwait.

You can Contact me on [email protected]

Good Luck!

Thank you guys!

We appreciate the feedback!  Always nicer to hear from people who are actually living the reality than trying to  put a puzzle together painted by the media.

U R right.
Occasionally, you can visit Dubai, Istanbul, Qatar, etc. These are beautiful places one must see.
contact me on [email protected] anytime if you need any feedback.

Good Luck.

I am Egyptian working in banking sector in a multinational bank in Egypt , I got a job offer in a finance Co. In Kuwait that consists of 900 KWD plus home allowances up to 400 KWD and the Co. Will provide me with a car.

I will come with ny wife , no children yet

I am asking for the monthly average cost of living excluding housing and how much could I save

U can enjoy life with KD 300/- (excluding housing cost)

You may add KD 350/- for Housing per month
plus KD 100/- to 200/- for Car of your choice

at a current net income of R50,000 in SA, i would suggest not going for anything less than 2200-2800KD.  Depending on your lifestyle in SA and what you plan for Kuwait, this should allow you to save quite a bit (given the information i've seen).

As for your Honours, perhaps consider doing it via Unisa?  In any case, once you have completed your articles, i'm sure you could get a job in the Financial sector (a few local Banks for example).

Good evening
To whom it may concern,  My name is Stanley from Africa, Nigeria, i meet an agent who promise to help me with a pharmacy job in Kuwait, and it is three years visa and residence but there is no working permit included, please i need your advice if this is real and would this be possible?

Hi Everyone

Hope the start to 2015 is going great for all...

I need some assistance on finding a decent 2 bedroom flat... furnished or not...Im currently in Maidan Hawailli and preferably want to stay here, I am very happy with this very beautifully clean building but its all 1 bdrm only...please please can anyone help me..

@ YolandaSN > The Housing in Kuwait section might help you, therefore i invite you to post your ad in the this section please.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

If it's on anything other than a work permit, it sounds dicey. You need a work permit for any type of work here in Kuwait.

Hi Landi

I am an accountant living here since 5 years and been through all these steps and faced all these quires before, if you need any help just ask