Moving to HCMC to Teach English- Could use some Advice :]

Hello! (I am reposing this from the Saigon forum because I was not too sure which forum to post it to, seeing as these two forums are for the same city...)

My name is Kristina (Vietnamese name Nga) and I will be moving to hcmc Dec 1st! I'm 22 and am from California, USA! My parents are Vietnamese but I was born in the US. I speak a little Vietnamese. I hope to enroll in a CELTA course in January and then start teaching English.

Other than that, I really have no idea what I'm doing so I could use some tips and advice on what to do from here! I could use some advice on picking out apartments/houses (I've checked out the housing section but I'm not sure what are good areas to live in/what are good prices.) Do most foreigners live in more westernized housing with other foreigners or is it common to move in with Vietnamese locals?   

And I could use some advice on getting a motorbike- I'd like to buy a used one and am not sure where to look/how much I should pay/what models are reliable.

I know I want to teach English but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a job if I don't have any teaching experience. I want to know if there is any teaching job I can get without any certification in the month before my certification course begins. If there is not, I'd love to know if there is any volunteer teaching I can do to get some experience teaching in Vietnam.

When I return to the US, I want to attend medical school so I am also looking for some hospitals where I can volunteer, intern, or shadow doctors. Would anyone know of any places where I can do this?

I'd also be interested in doing other sorts of community service and volunteer work- I could use recommendations for organizations!

I'd really appreciate any kind of guidance as to what I should do/look for in order to get settled into hcmc as smoothly as possible. I lived in Vietnam for a short 2 months earlier this year and fell in love with the city so I know I'll love it this time around too! I plan on being in Saigon for at least one year.

Please contact me if you have any pointers or just would be interested to meet up once I land in HCMC! Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Kristina/Nga

Hi Nga

You could enroll in the CELTA course with ILA or Apollo in HCMC - and then teach at one of 700 language schools in HCMC! A wide variety of choice for you indeed.

For housing there are a number of websites for housing .

[Moderated: Kindly communicate by PM]

Wynn

Ever thought of reclaiming your VN citizenship. You would neeed all your parents info (DOB, place of birth, where they departed VN from, do they leave legally (with permit) or illegally (no come bak these days).

Contact the San Fran consulate and ask them if it's possible to get it done over there before you come. Then you will have all the rights AND obligations of a VN  citizen. Makes no difference to your U.S. citizenship. You can do it here if you bring your parents info, and your birth certificate. You will need a State police criminal record in order to apply for any Permit.

As with anything, you have to get feel for the market and prices and the best way from over there is Craigs list. < http://vietnam.craigslist.org/apa/ >, < http://vietnam.craigslist.org/roo/ >.

The first few days can be spent in a hotel, not too pricey ($12-15), whilst you decide what/where is best for you. Quan 3 has many rooms, Quan 1 fewer. Quan 4 is not the nicest place. Quan 7 is way, way out unless you have wheels.

TP HCM transit is bad. Xe om or taxi.

Living with VN is fine, can be a little noisy. Foreigner,  areas cost more hardly worth the money. With your VN skills you will have an advantage.

Craigs list has a used motorcycle section < http://vietnam.craigslist.org/mca/ >. Buying a used Honda will get you reliability but they are also theft targets as they are easy to unlock.

There are a decent amount of English instructor openings, some require Permits, etc. others are easier going.

All sorts of volunteer teaching, I teach free classes here and in BMT. Usually English Clubs welcome volunteers, as would the schools in Quan Cam Gio.

Not sure about volunteering - check your PM for hospital contact details.

There is the Red Cross here, they always need volunteers.

Maybe RES center is appropriate. Why you don't try to contact with them. It is on 197 Nguyen Van Thu street, DaKao ward, District 1, HCMC or you can contact via [email protected]
If you go to Ho Chi Minh city, I can help you look for suitable room or apartment for rent. You can contact me via 0126 5643510

Hello xoda.no,

could you introduce yourself please ;)?

Melissa