Process to get a non immigrant visa and work permit n Thailand

It appears that this is a tedious process? You have to request a non immigrant visa even before you land? And then get a work permit? Is this the legal process for ESL teachers looking for an job in Bangkok? Or is there an easier way just landing there, getting a job and then going through the above procedure / red tape? Thanks

Getting a teaching job in Bangkok is not as easy as it seems, I have been trying for 6 months and have now given up & am going home. Bangkok, you are losing great teachers.

Have you considered Phnom Penh, Cambodia? English teachers make $10 to $15 per hours x 100 = $1500.00 a month. There are 20,000 expats in Phnom Penh. Do a google for Phnom Penh 2012 skyline. No red tape to get a business visa and you just renew yearly. You don't have to leave the country.

phnom penh bound wrote:

It appears that this is a tedious process? You have to request a non immigrant visa even before you land? And then get a work permit? Is this the legal process for ESL teachers looking for an job in Bangkok? Or is there an easier way just landing there, getting a job and then going through the above procedure / red tape? Thanks

If you are qualified, any school worth their salt will handle the visa and work permit process for you. You can land here, find a job, and get the visa and work permit but as FHMickey said, it's not all that easy for people to find work here, even teachers.

I have never had anyone handle my work permit and non-immigrant visa for me but I do not teach English. It is time consuming and a pain in the neck but it's not a difficult process. It just takes a bit of patience.