Is Marrakesh a safe place to life as a young female?

Hi All,

My names Ali and I am wanting to come and live in Marrakesh in a few months. However im a little worried of safety in the city (and country as a whole), as a single female (31yrs-old) im not sure if it is a wise idea and wanted to gather your thoughts. Is Marrakesh a safe place to life as a young female?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS ive just read an American travel warning of kidnapping in Moroc? Ekk!

Cheers
Ali

Hi Ali,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created as from your post on the Marrakech forum.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Ali,
Marrakech is safe, but as any other city you got to be careful. It is more likely that you are attacked in new York /London than Marrakech. Once you make friends here you ll be ok.

HI there,

I'm also a young american woman considering moving to Marrakech. Is there a young expat community? I hope to meet new people as I plan for the move.

Thanks!

hey dear ,
Marrakech is a generally safe city, with the presence of the  police . for a young woman it can be  safed and not safed .it 's quite safe at morning and evening becuz the police and people are around so no one can do anything  . but, at the middnight might be dangerous in some places so the thefts are known to happen in these places also harassment .

I have brits friend live in marrakech she loves it becuz it's a nice city for living . just u have to know that over the world there are bad and good people , generaly , in morocco people there are very very friendly and give a huge value to expatriate by provide them help or anything they want .

Consider the kidnap , i never ever heard that someone take a person away illegally by force for money in morocco . this is happened only in america becuz there are alot of mafia there. in morocco there is no mafia .
  finaly , astein510 yeah there are young expat community there from every nationality but french more i think .

all in all , marrakech is a nice place and a great experience  somone can have . try to find a good friends who 'll help and support u and be with u . All you have to do is reach out and you will find like-minded people . Life is beautiful! Make it even more beautiful by living every single day with love and compassion . live simply so other people can simply live.

Simo

Hello,
This warning you read is a standard warning the USA issues for all countries bordering predominately Islamic countries that have known connections to terrorist organizations. The USA is in an active war, and there is always the possibility of sympathizers wanting to make a statement by taking American's hostage. And there is always the possibility for their people to be targeted by extremist.   

MOROCCO IS NOT CONNECTED WITH TERRORISM

I agree that Marrakech is a pretty safe place for everyone... even young single women. There is a strong police presence in this city and you will see them everywhere; but even if you don't see them, they are there.  Many of the police are in civilian dress and are mingling in the crowds to protect the tourist. I have never heard of anyone visiting here having any serious trouble that they didn't have to go out of their way to find.
Of course if you are here to engage in illegal or risky personal behavior, then you will be at a higher risk of falling into trouble. I suggest you don't do anything you would not do at home. Morocco as a whole puts a high value on visitors. But if someone you don't know approaches you on the street and he wants to show you the city be a little suspicious of his motives. Chances are he is just looking to guide you, but Morocco requires all guides to be officially certified, and you must pay them. To keep their certification in good order they don't usually just walk up to strangers on the street and offer services.
As with any place in the world, it is foolish to walk around at night alone in darkened streets. People as a whole are friendly and helpful, but everyplace has bad elements that will take the opportunity you offer them.
So come and responsibly enjoy this fine city and you will have an experience of a life time.

hello , yes it s a very good idea , to livein marrakech for a stranger woman , but it's necessary at the beginana hat you have a friend that he or she will guids you to know the good places and bad laces to avoid