University of Malta

Hey guys I just applied for Nursing in the University of Malta at the start of August. I was wondering if anyone new when we will find out when we will get our acceptance email. They never gave me a specific, and I will have to move country if I get a place so it would mean allot if anyone could give me any information.

Hi naomib92,

welcome to the forum.

Why did you apply to study nursing here in Malta? Job offers after will be subject to tenders or do you just want to study and leave the island. Most old people speak Maltese so without Maltese language skills it will be difficult! Maltese is the
language of Malta and not English.

You will have to wait a while to hear if you have been given a place. First come the Maltese and if places are left ....then foreigners !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi naomib92,

welcome to the forum.

Why did you apply to study nursing here in Malta? Job offers after will be subject to tenders or do you just want to study and leave the island. Most old people speak Maltese so without Maltese language skills it will be difficult! Maltese is the
language of Malta and not English.

You will have to wait a while to hear if you have been given a place. First come the Maltese and if places are left ....then foreigners !

Cheers
Ricky

Hi there thank you for replying. Well i have family living there and they speak English and have no problem getting around or studying. Everything is taught to English in the university of Malta so it wont be difficult. I know common phrases in Maltese so I can talk to Maltese speakers. I didn't get into university in Ireland so this is my plan B. But the University of Malta is a beautiful university and the nursing course looks very good.

All I wanted to know is when they let people know if they were excepted?

Grazzi Haffna

Hi,

I hope you hear something soon as the semester will be starting soon.

I visited a (male) friend at Mater Dei hospital two days ago and what surprised me was that the there were many male nurses or assistants on duty . In Germany or England you hardly see any male staff member in hospitals.

If I hear anything about nursing issues in Malta I'll get back to you.

Cheers
Ricky

Hey Ricky,
Thank you for the reply. That's actually great news to hear about the male nurses, at home I think there is a stigma on male nurses making it out to be a woman's job only.

I know the nursing starts the 1st of October but registration is the 28/29 so i would need to find out soon. But fingers crossed.

When did you move to Malta, did you find the move hard?

Hi,

I moved to Malta 4 years ago but as I don't have to work and probably are a lot older than you it is much easier for me to accept the lifestyle in Malta.

It all hinges on finding work or having funding that enables you a decent life in Malta. Prices are high and wages quite low , generally speaking.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi naomib92,

I have also applied for the nursing programme and I still haven't heard anything... would be really nice to know soon! :)

Have you still not heard anything?

I am not from Malta, I am from Sweden but live in Belfast for the moment!

Hopefully we will hear something soon :)

Jennie

Jennepen wrote:

Hi naomib92,

I have also applied for the nursing programme and I still haven't heard anything... would be really nice to know soon! :)

Have you still not heard anything?

I am not from Malta, I am from Sweden but live in Belfast for the moment!

Hopefully we will hear something soon :)

Jennie

Hey Jenny,
         I rang them on Friday and they said that they are still assessing applications, so depending on when you applied the time you find out differs. They said if you only applied 2 weeks before the 30th of August you wont find out till everyone else but if you applied in June then you will find out the first or second week. I applied the start of August and they told me i might find out in the second week of August so....Fingers crossed.
I wish you all the best and let me know when you hear a reply i'll do the same :)

Hi Naomib92,

I got my letter today and I got in :D So so happy and excited! Let me know when you get your letter. I really hope you get in as well, then we will meet in a couple of weeks!
Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Jennie

Jennepen wrote:

Hi Naomib92,

I got my letter today and I got in :D So so happy and excited! Let me know when you get your letter. I really hope you get in as well, then we will meet in a couple of weeks!
Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Jennie

Jennie,
       Wooo! I couldn't be happier for you :)I'm so glad you got in. Can I ask what date you applied for the course and what nursing you got. Again so happy for you :)I'll see you soon.

Regards
Naomi.

Hi Naomi,

Thank you :D

I applied somewhere in in June already and I am going for the general nursing, you?

Jennie

Jennie,
       Ok I applied in August so I say i'll hear some time next wwek or the week after. I appled for general nursing too :) So we might be in the same class. Enjoy celebrating.

Rgards
Naomi

naomib92 wrote:

Jennie,
       Ok I applied in August so I say i'll hear some time next wwek or the week after. I appled for general nursing too :) So we might be in the same class. Enjoy celebrating.

Rgards
Naomi

Hello!

Have you heard anything from the Uni of Malta? I have also applied to Nursing; am maltese and haven't received anything through the mail from the Uni. Getting worried about this.

xoxo

Elizabeth

Hi all,

Just so that you know, firstly, unlike what ricky said there not such system as Maltese first then expats. It's all about qualifications. The higher they are, the better your chances to get placed in a limited number (numerus clausus) course.

Second, the application process takes a lot of time and usually applicants are informed by post as soon as all applications are processed. Usually that happens somewhere around mid to late September, so it should be anytime soon.

P.S. You are notified in both instances, whether or not you have been accepted. Good luck!

Bormliz wrote:

Hi all,

Just so that you know, firstly, unlike what ricky said there not such system as Maltese first then expats. It's all about qualifications. The higher they are, the better your chances to get placed in a limited number (numerus clausus) course.

Second, the application process takes a lot of time and usually applicants are informed by post as soon as all applications are processed. Usually that happens somewhere around mid to late September, so it should be anytime soon.

P.S. You are notified in both instances, whether or not you have been accepted. Good luck!

Hey Bormliz,
             Thank you for that information it puts my mind at ease. A few people i know have gotten an answer already so hopefully i hear good news soon.

Thanks again.

Hi Bormliz,

welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong in that respect and that only qualifications count for the ranking for a place and that in particular Maltese language skills do not count in this process.

It would be good if the decision could be made earlier so that EU applicants have more time to make the necessary arrangements to move to Malta if they are placed in a course.

I wish all applicants good luck too.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Bormliz,

welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong in that respect and that only qualifications count for the ranking for a place and that in particular Maltese language skills do not count in this process.

It would be good if the decision could be made earlier so that EU applicants have more time to make the necessary arrangements to move to Malta if they are placed in a course.

I wish all applicants good luck too.

Cheers
Ricky

I'm afraid that is not logistically possible. I trust you understand that replies are given immediately as soon as the whole process is ready. There have been improvements to the system though but it still takes a lot of time and work, hence the apparent delay from the applicant's point of view. But a lot goes on behind the scenes

I would inquiry about the maltese university events and parties that will be take place from October 2012 in Malta. Could somebody help me which webpages (or facebook sites) inform me about current uni events? Which club or bar is typical student place?

Thx in advance!

Hi, the University of Malta's official news page is this: www(dot)um(dot)edu(dot)mt/newsoncampus furthermore, depending on the faculty you attend, it may or may not have a facebook page. However, sometimes you also get students from a particular course group setting up a Facebook page. So it's best to get into contact with your classmates and see if they've come up with anything of that sort.

As for the bars and clubs, it depends. Within campus limits, there's a few bars and cafeterias just outside campus, along with the cafeteria at the Students' House (this one is on Campus and it's centrally located so can't miss it). These are the most popular places while at university during the day. At night, then there's the local bars, pubs and clubs but the most popular are located in Marsaskala, Valletta, Bugibba and Paceville. The last one is notorious for its night life.