San andrea school place

hello
my daughter has been offered a school place at san andrea school in malta.

can anyone offer me any information about this school.
good or bad?

attitudes/ bullying/ subjects

are you pleased or displeased?

know anyone who goes there
school food
school transport

school trips
languages studied

any information at all, however small

My children have spent the last 4 years at San Andrea and love the school.  My oldest just finished the last year of primary school and will be in the 'senior school' next year (she is 11).  We've been very happy with the school as well.  It is a nurturing environment and they making learning fun.

As for school food, there is none provided in the primary school and all children bring their lunch.  There is a cantine in the senior school which I believe has sandwiches, snacks and maybe even hot items (really not sure though!), but that is optional.

As for languages, in primary school they are taught all subjects in English except for the Maltese lessons themselves.  In the last year of primary (year 6 equivalent in the UK I believe) they start Italian once a week.  Then in Sr. School they also start French.  At some point I believe they pick between French and Italian and have the option to learn Spanish later as well.  Maltese is optional for foreigners but most participate in the Early School level because it is very basic at that point.  In Middle School some foreigners remain in and others opt out (my daughter has continued Maltese even though we are foreign). 

As for the school transport, I don't know any school that doesn't have transport issues.  We've always used it and have had great and careful van drivers.  So I have no complaints at all based on my experience.  Getting into and out of San Andrea and San Anton to pick your children up is not an easy task, so I do appreciate the transport.

As for school trips, don't know if you mean trips abroad.  If so, those are only at the Sr. School level.  All primary grades have 'field trips' throughout the year though to fun and education places in Malta.

Lastly, for the bullying.  I have asked my kids many times in the past if they know of anyone being bullied and the answer is always no. I can't say that it doesn't exist at all, because I don't know that.  However I can say I don't know of any cases of it!  I don't know about the Sr School section but will find out more next year when daughter 'moves up' (all on the same premise, but the Sr. School is in a completely separate area, further away from the Early and Middle School buildings).

Hope that helps some.  Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions (although I don't always get my PM notifications, so you can post them here too!).

Hi,

one of my best Maltese friends (20 years long) is a teacher at San Andrea school.

So I can truly second the positve account given by KTS because of the inside information I've been given over the years about the school and by knowing her.

If you need any private, individual advice please message me.

Cheers
Ricky

thanks guys.

very helpful comments. in general then the school is a good one.

thanks everyone.

my interview is today so fingers crossed for a job offer.

linda

How did you get on with the interview, any news?

Sam

I have experience with San Andrea and San Anton... and from what I know I will tell you that S.Andrea is a very nice option... Bullying is a problem here, but not a exclusive problem of the school but of the whole Island :)