Cost of TAX and DUTY when transporting a car to Mauritius(MRU STUDENT)

Hi,

I have currently in the process of getting organized for my move to Mauritius. I am British and my Wife is Mauritian who has been in the country for 6 years, we now plan to go back to Mauritius. I plan to take a car with me as the cost of a car there is too expensive. I have heard from several people that my wife is entitled to take a car back to Mauritius with only 15% Tax to pay and 15% duty to pay only because she has been a student in the UK for over 5 years. When I call Mauritian customs they don't have any clear answers for me.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Harj

HarjinderMann wrote:

Hi,

I have currently in the process of getting organized for my move to Mauritius. I am British and my Wife is Mauritian who has been in the country for 6 years, we now plan to go back to Mauritius. I plan to take a car with me as the cost of a car there is too expensive. I have heard from several people that my wife is entitled to take a car back to Mauritius with only 15% Tax to pay and 15% duty to pay only because she has been a student in the UK for over 5 years. When I call Mauritian customs they don't have any clear answers for me.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Harj

You have been misinformed this is not correct, you can old get a car shipped duty free if she has lived in the UK for 10 years. We bought a car here when we arrived it was cheaper than shipping seriously. They will value your car double or triple its worth and then tax you on it, so not worth it. I know many people who thought it would be cheaper to ship their own car and they were left out of pocket.

Dear peaches786

I was debating weather I should take a car from here because of the reasons you just confirmed. My wife has the same concerns as yourself too. I was also speaking to family in Mauritius who mentioned cars are also getting cheaper to purchase in Mauritius. That's good advice and what I expected.

Thank you

Call customs on (+230) 2020500, ask Mr Facknath or Mr Gaunpoth. U will get 100% best answer.

i think  you better buy a car in mauritiusrather than going through the headach at the custom if you add all your cost of sending the car  plus buying the car and twice 15% you better off buying a car in mauritius, i would say cheapes you can purchase a car there reasonable price and good condition £5000

Hi all,

From the advice and information I am receiving from all I think it's a better idea I buy the car in Mauritius. I have heard from so many people that the Mauritian customs will over evaluate the car then over charge me. I have also been told by family the cost of cars has dropped over the past few years.

Thanks
Harj

Are you guys all crazy? I have a Landrover Freelander purchased in the UK for 21,000 pounds (Rs 966,000). The price for the same vehicle here is around Rs3.3m. Now you add the concessionary duty and tax of 30% plus say 1,000 pounds shipping costs plus registration fee gives you an equivalent price of around Rs1.3-1.4m and you'd rather pay Rs3.3m !!!

To qualify for the concessionary rates you have to be a Mauritian citizen who has lived a period of 5 years continuously outside of the country (used to be 10 years). The vehicle has to be your own for your own use and to have been owned for a minimum of 6 months prior to export. We bought our Freelander 7 months before coming here having lived in the UK for 15 years. The valuation that customs make is based on Parker's guide. In my view this is one thing that you have to take maximum advantage of if you qualify albeit there may require some funny business getting through customs. Oh and we later found out that we could have bought our car taxfree in the UK if we had declared it for export but alas Landrover didn't mention this.