Expat Health Care

Hi, can anyone recommend an good expat health care programme?  The local programmes that I have investigated have very little cover.

Thanks

Hello Hanlie Blaise :)

Did you mean cover, in term of insurance???; If yes, you can try Expatriate health insurance Mauritius, our official partner in supplying insurance service for expats.

My warm regards

Look in the yellow pages. Give several insurance agencies a call. The coverage and price is about the same. It will run for a married couple around 60,000 rs per year. But there are lots of rules. Ask lots of questions when speaking with the insurance broker and GET IT IN WRITING.

Hi pbrough,

Would you personally know of any agents or specific health care programs that you can mention?? That would be of help to not only Hanlie, but also other expats like me.  I agree one needs to do homework, but the yellow pages offer a lot of alternatives and calling up a number of agents ands to the confusion. The whole point of the forum is to seek help from Expats/locals who go through similar experiences!!

Cheers,
Musheer

Hi Musheer,

I agree with you. I too need an health insurance for me and my family. I think Julian knows of some good health plans. I discussed with him once, but did not go into much details. Once I get back to Mauritius I will look for a good plans that is not only economical but also gives international medical cover.I dont need insurance for minor sickness but in case of major surgery or aliment if required I would prefer to do it in Apolo in Mauritius or in India

Terence

Hi thanks for the feedback.  I found an international brokerage firm that operates locally that will be able to provide me with a hospital plan with extensive cover.  Should adequate facilities not be available locally, it allows for air transfer to South Africa.  Should you wish to know more, drop me an email and I will send you the contact number as I am not sure if I am allowed to post it on a public forum.

I think I had about a half dozen insurance agents come to my house and talk about health policies. There are many questions you need to ask. Some policies don't cover basic office visits. Example, my wife's routine visit to her gyno is not included. So, be extremely particular when choosing a policy.

yes, but I am only looking for a hospital plan, day to day doctors visits and scripts are normally not what breaks the bank, it is more for serious illness that I am concerned.

hi Hanlie,
I am also looking for such a cover. We are moving to Mauritius from SA mid-year and we currently only have hospital plan in SA as we also find that we can pay out of our own pocket for "normal" dentist/doctors visit.
Which firm is that? Can you please let me have some details so that I can make contact with them. We are currently with Discovery but they wouldn't cover us if we left. Let me have their contact details and the name of your cover (I like the fact that we can be sent to SA if required) - have a wonderful day further!
and a Happy New Year.... Nathalie