Mauritius Retirement

Hello,

I am a 62 year old male thinking of retiring in Maritius. My monthly retirement income from American social security is $2,300 a month US dollars. 2,questions- Is my social security taxes by Maritius government? And can I live fairly comfortable on just $2,300 a month including my rent? Thanks.

john

inboxed you john

@Johnprint23

hello John, welcome !

Have a look at the following : https://residency.mu/retire/#:~:text=Ta … ome%20tax.

You may also get in touch with the experts at residency.mu for official info :

Phone Number

+230 203 3800

+230 5250 9103 (WhatsApp)

Mailing Address

[email protected]

Welcome John. As mentioned above, the best place to find out for sure is the official site for retirement. On paper you should be fine with your financial resources. Obviously there is a capital outlay to get everything done and it takes a bit of time too.

My suggestion would be to find out as much as you can, fill in the required forms online, collect all the documents required including bank details etc, and then come to Mauritius for an extended period of say 2-3 months as a 'tourist'. See the places you would like to live in, rent for the duration of your stay and live as a 'local'. If you really like the place, then complete your application and pay for the retirement visa etc. You don't have to use any agents etc.  I hope you have visited before already, and you know that things move slowly in Mauritius. Life is chilled in general, which is brilliant for retirees.

With particualr regard to your 2 questions, I believe you will not be taxed on the money you transfer into Mauritius. However, as an American citizen, you will probably be liable for taxes in America. Living as an individual on $2300 per month should be easy, unless you are a big spender and prefer 5 star restaurants everyday.

Good luck.

@Tookays

Thank you for your response. From what i am reading any foreign income  coming into Mauritius is taxed at 10 to 15 percent and this includes social security. Do you know who i would talk to in Mauritius about this? Thank you.

@Johnprint23 try to contact the EDB for more information. The rules for 'retirement' visas are different from 'residence' visas I think. The Income Tax authorities in Mauritius can also help.

Thank you. what is EDB?

@Johnprint23

the EDB is the economic development board

when you apply for your permit you will get an interview with the EDB and Immigration at which you show your original copies of the document you submitted to get your letter of approval

Ok Thank you.

John, forgive me if I sound a bit harsh. You have to do your own research regarding Mauritius, and the best place to start is the EDB- Economic Development Board. the website has lots of up to date information and they usually do reply to queries but in their own time.

I have replied with a link in your FB post already.

The only reason I know a bit is because I have looked into it seriously, have met up with the main officer there, and more recently spent 6 months in Mauritius.

If you wish to work and earn in Mauritius, then buying an approved housing unit is probably the easier route but will cost you a minimum of $375k and more for various fees etc. The edbmauritius.org website has all the information.

Ok. thank you.

Hi, John,

My name is Michael Davidson. I am America, born and raised in Manhattan. At 16, my parents moved up the Hudson to a cool little town called Nyack. Now, I am 71 and have been retired since age 60. I have traveled since my late teens and lived all over the world.

This is my first time in Mauritius and I have presently been in Flic en Flac, for 5+ weeks.

After several months of intense preparation and research back in the States and now several visits to EDB and immigration, I have my 10 year visa document.  I can say with the seasoned certainty of direct experience, that I could not have accomplished getting this visa on my own.

While still in the US (Ruidodo, N.M.), I came to the conclusion I was going have to hire someone in Mauritius to help me. That took a bit of doing. here is the email address for the person I eventually hired.

Here name is ***

She is trustworthy, kind and patient. In my case, the patient part beingn no small thing. I am 71 years old

and there have been more than a few times where I became a bit overwhelmed by this visa process. Early on, while still in the States, I called immigration to see if they could/would recommend a reliable visa help company, etc. They would not. So, I was on my own.

You're going to get a lot of different answers to your questions, here on the site. And eventually, you're going to have to make a leap of faith.

So, I have offered you an avenue that is safe. Take my advice and contact ****, the woman who GOT IT DONE for me.

Best of luck.

PS

I have been all over the world and I can say unequivocally, this place is not only beautiful but downright magical.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Please recommend in private or in the Mauritius business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

John

I thought I sent you *** email:

[link moderated]

Now you see what I meant about her being patient w/ me!

M.

Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you

@Khiri Khan23

Hello, thank you for your recommendations.

Please recommend in private by clicking on the member's username > send a message or in the Mauritius Business Directory.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

@Khiri Khan23 welcome to Mauritius. Flic en Flac is a very nice place to retire.

I am a bit surprised that you were overwhelmed by the visa process, but yes, it is tiresome. The EDB website clearly outines the steps, and provided you have all the documents you can apply online from anywhere in the world and upload the documents required. Once you get the agreement in principle, you have to bring all the documents needed as specified, within the next 2-3 months, and prepare to spend some time in Mauritius. This is the frustrating period. Bank accounts take time, getting your NCID number takes time, lots of information is needed including address in Mauritius, etc. even to get a local SIM card!  But you can chill on a beach every evening and decide where you will want to live long term.

@Tookays

Thank you for the information

@Bhavna

Yes.Thank you.

I think I understand now how the process of making a recommendation works.

M.

@Khiri Khan23

To avoid any kind of indirect advertising, we suggest members to send the company name and details in private (they can send a private message to any member) or recommend a service in the business directory

Companies pay for advertising, so, it is fair enough to limit any kind of direct or indirect advertising on our forum section.

Regards

Bhavna

Yes, now I understand.

Thanks,

M.

@Khiri Khan23

Hi Michael. I am going to send you a DM if that's ok?

Warm regards Dawn Griffiths 🙏🏾

Ok. Go ahead.

M.

@dawny1307

Hi, Dawn.

Here is the name and email address of the lady I hired to help me get my 10 year/retirement visa.

Name: ***

Email:  ***

Beautiful, here.

Good luck.

Michael

Reason : Recommendations to be shared in private on in the business directory