St margarets school for girls zetjun

anyone have any advice on this school, i have heard it is a good school.

anyone have any advice on bullying is it as bad in malta as people say

What do they say about Bullying in Malta?  I'm considering moving over also with my 12 year old daughter, so would also be interested in the answers to this thread in general.

Hi,

welcome to the form.

You should check out previous post under the ' Schooling ' thread.

Bullying is a big problem in Maltese schools it seems, especially in State schools but not only. The best way to deal with it is for the kids to learn Maltese, learn martial arts and to speak out to their parents about it and not to keep quiet. It is typical to be told .... this is our island - if you don't like it leave. As a foreigner you will hear this under many different circumstances.

I have heard of non-maltese parents being bullied while collecting their kids from school because they used a parking spot that Maltse parents considered their's by rights ! -)))

I'm really sad having to say these things but it does seem part of the package 'Malta'.

Cheers
Ricky

thanks for that. i was told that bullying was quite bad, but not really sure how to fix it if we want to come to malta.

my daughter is 12yrs old. any ideas?

thanks

Hi,

I'm not sure how to solve the problem as officially it does not exist and if so, it is always the foreign kid to blame for not being part of the community ....not speaking Maltese and accepting Maltese ways.

Private schools are probably slightly better than state schools but cost a lot more but also have better results. Latest figures show that the Maltese school drop-out numbers are dramatically higher than anywhere else in Europe. Nearly every second kid leaves school without the lowest degree.

My really personal opinion is that kids going to Maltese schools will lose out in later life. The standard is just too low.

I look forward to hearing comments.
Cheers
Ricky

Just to say it is not just kids that are bullied but grown woman. I have been told to go back to where I came from!! just because you ask a Maltese person to control their kids in the playground, pool or even at the cinema.. My kids go to a private school where there is only 1 Maltese pupil in a class of 8 so they are in a minority there. Best of luck with the move...

What would the average breakdown of Maltese to Foreigners be like in the Private schools? 

I'm meeting up with some of the Private schools in July when we travel over for a 2 week holiday to get a proper feel for the place.  Any questions I should be asking the various Principals and people we meet?

Hi All,

I have a school age child and I am very happy overall with the school experience. Yes, there are rude people, but not more or less than anywhere else in the world...

I appreciate that some people in the forum have had bad experiences with this country, and I am sorry about that. However, in general and from my own experience Malta is a nice place to be and you have to take it for what it is. A place with its goods & bads just like any other country...

I wish you good luck with the school "hunting" process!

Take care,