Just a question

Since I am in Belgium I never really heard about work for non Ducth speakers. I am South African and speaking Dutch for me is still a long way to go! So, how do I survive? Can anyone please help me with some directions about How and Where to find (and which kind of) work of any kind at least until the Dutch get into my brains?

Hi Picas!

Maybe you should tell about your working experience.
I would also suggest you to post an advert in the Belgium jobs section.
It might help!

Regards
Armand

Yeah sadly if you dont speak the language jobs arnt the easyest to find

Also how long have you been here and what dutch do you know

Well, first of all thanks your guys for your attention. But here is my first way to answer your questions: ik ben hier in het nederland nu zes maand nu. Mijn nederland is niet zo goed dus dat is veel maolijk voor me als ik opzoek een werk. Maar als jij kan iets doen voor me alstublief ik wil blij zijn met uw help. Ik hoop nu jij heb een idee over mijn niveau in het nederland taal. Well, this is it my friends. So far - thats the level I can speak. Hope you will be able to find the answers for your questions in there! And please do not hesiatte to contact me in case you have anything, but anything in mind. Being financially dependent is really suffocating me!

Well in honesty ur level od dutch isnt all that bad for 6 months. What kind of skilled work can you do. I know it sounds silly but cleaning and ironing need little nederlands and i went to a subway and the girls dutch was awful there so maybe try those places

Also just keep takeing lessions in dutch

Your dutch is not bad at all. My dutch is awful!!!! (I really had no time to study it, though).

Well, I wish the employment agencies would appreciate my level (in Ducth language) as you guys do! Can you imagine this: you go to a work agency and the first thing they ask is "spreek je nederland" and than you answer "je, beetje... maar niet zo goed als ik nog leren" And from that point on, everything s/he speaks with you is in Dutch. S/he is a native speaker and if you cant follow or if you miss a single word from what s/he is saying you are automatically not entitled to hold the available work! And thats the next thing you will hear "sorry maar ik kan niet doen voor jouw" And you ask "hoezo?" and the next answer you will get will probably be "dit is Belgie. U moet nederland praten als jij wil een werk". In fact, I understand that you must be able to speak the language to get a work but c'mon, do I have to be able to speak as they do at first opportunity? Anyway, the funny thing is: whatever language you speak in the worst or best level, you will always buy anything at any shop or restaurant.

Well, it depends on which kind of work you are trying to aim for. Possibly, you could transform your specificalities into an asset - that is, Antwerp is a major commercial city, so there are lots of companies which require someone with international experience, and who do not need this precise knowledge of the flemish language. Also, in the horeca sector there are always lots of opportunities... belgians love to eat and drink.