Traffic in Vietnam! Scary?!

Anyone think it's kinda scary to drive/ride around Saigon? I think it is. Traffic here total freaked me out, and yes, I'm a Vietnamese, I'm still scared of riding around. There's no rules here or there are but very few people follow the rules. How do you guys expats commute around? Taxi? Xe om? Or you can ride a scooter yourself? I would love to here some thoughts :)

Hi Kim,

It seems Saigon and crazy traffic always go hand in hand. You can't mention one without the other!! I do agree the traffic is crazy here. I have been living in Vietnam for 3 years now. Before I came to Vietnam I did as much reading and information searching as I could about Vietnam to prepare myself. I watched some videos on Youtube about the crazy traffic I kept hearing about. When I got to Vietnam no amount of preparation could have prepared me for the traffic. I was still so amazed by it even though I heard so much about it and watched videos.

I lived in Saigon for about 3 months before I was brave enough to take on the driving challenge. I was just tired of walking, taking taxis or xe oms. I got my motorbike license then hit the streets with no instruction or anything. It was sooooo crazy but I love adventure so of course it was fun also. In the first year driving I had about 3 motorbike accidents, of course NONE were my fault...LOL. Those accidents taught me a lesson. When in Rome do what the Romans do. So I stopped following the traffic rules. When I followed them it seemed to always cause an accident. Now I just go with the flow like everyone else and have some how survived the last 2 years accident free (knock on wood).

Haha, I know right, my mom said the same thing, if you follow the rules then you're gonna get hit! You are so brave to ride around. I have friends coming from the US to visit and all of them said they would never dare to ride a scooter here. I myself is a really bad driver, I'm really scared of the busy streets. Buses and trucks here are monsters!

You have to learn VN rules.

They often don't signal their intention to turn, so you look at their wheels; they do not stop for any obstructions, they swerve in to an adjacent lane.

Many thin signalling means they can move without regard to other traffic; VN frequently overtake before turning right.

Foreigners are always in the wrong when there is an accident.

Travelling a little slower than the rest of the traffic gives you a little protection, all the rest are blazing a trail for you!

Even if mulch-directional traffic lights say you have a right of way, many lights, if followed, can kill (Calmette bridge intersection; many spots on East-West Highway; Nguyen Van Linh Expressway).

Vehicles without lights are trying to save money - not so much gas spent on generating electricity.

They also play "Dare You" to see who gives way first, I like surprising them by driving into them.

Remember, TP Ho Chi Minh has to maintain it's average of three killed every day.

I was culture shocked at first when I came here about three months ago. Now I'm weaving through traffic like a local! Are you a Viet kieu too?

No Vince,  I'm a Vietnamese but I'm still afraid every time I ride my scooter

Wow, Ngan, you write in very good English.  Did you take it in school?

Jayhawk wrote:

When in Rome do what the Romans do.

That is the attitude to have!

Now I just go with the flow like everyone else and have some how survived the last 2 years accident free (knock on wood

).

It is not all that difficult, isn't it?

After the first week riding around HCMC on the back seat of my partners Honda I felt it was time to get my license and a bike of my own.
Six months on and can still get lost very quickly in the city. The trucks are the biggest worry, then buses, then cars.
The other traffic (bikes) is pretty easy to handle.
Night riding here can be very 'interesting' - - seems about half the bikes on the roads having no working lights at all.
Watch out for push / pedal powered bikes !
I'm off the road for a couple of months (at least) with a broken leg as of yesterday when a young VN lady, on her pedal powered machine, decided to turn across in front of me from 1m away with no warning.
Could have been much worse - at least I missed her.

@Flip465: sorry to hear about the accident. Yeah I agree that it could have been worse. Hope you'll be fine soon.
@perry88: thanks for the compliment. I still have to learn a lot though. It'd be great if you become my friend and help me more with English. I'm working to perfect my american accent, and you are from Maryland so it's excellent