Moved to Kuwait, Got taxed ?

Has anyone heard of personal items being taxed? We had our household items shipped to Kuwait in February and have received an invoice for 500KD for tax!!! We have moved to US, Canada and Denmark and have never been taxed on personal household items. I have asked around but all of my friends that brought their belongings with them moved here before 2012. Is this something new? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Christine

ahh , there is no tax in kuwait

you should read the invoice again

if you want you can take a photo for the invoice and send it to me on whatsapp
to see it maybe i know about

whatsapp 66436962

unfortunately maxandsen the thing about customs in kuwait is that they pretty much have no stable rule/regulation governing them. they tax as they may please. and yes, there are taxes in kuwait, its about 5% of the value of the items being shipped. now if it is personal use items, thats a bit of a grey area, regarding exemptions.

who handled your customs clearance? ask them for more info, there should be a customs "bayan", a yellow-ish invoice with typed up text amidst lots of legal jargon, it should state 500 there.

first step is to ensure that your customs clearance company is not trying to rip you off. ask for invoices. ensure that the invoices are from the customs, and not their invoices raised for services rendered.

Thanks Legacy

The invoice came to my husband's company and they deducted the money so now I have to deal with the shipping company (Fairplay), Kuwait government and the company. I know what I will be doing all day tomorrow :(

maybe the tax is from the other country not from kuwait

ibra Kuwait DOES have a tax, its not a sales tax, its a tax on foreign goods coming into the country, and it can range from 1~5% of the value of the goods stated on the invoice/manifest.

Kuwait also has corporate tax, on companies.

trust me, i'm an auditor ;)
+ i work in shipping

I plan on shipping some of teaching resources over for me to use, will I receive a tax bill for this?

it really depends on the guys at the port ksfm :S if it is possible to bring it as luggage on your person whilst travelling, that would be a better idea.