American Fastfoods In HCMC

Hi Gang,

In between Hanoi and Bangkok, I had a couple lay-over hours at the Tan Son Nhat Int'l Airport.  So, I stopped by Burger King and had my hands on a long-awaited Whopper.  But, man, that was the worst burger I must have tasted in years...  Worst than the ones I make myself, and I am one of those that previously got thrown out of an American military galley for "not knowing his ways."

I also saw that Domino's Pizza on the opposite side of the airport.  But, after Whoppergate, I had to give my taste buds a rest. 

What is going on out here though?  Have I been out here too long or American fastfoods here are not what they are supposed to be?  Have any of you tried them yet?  What about that Carl's Jr. and its famous cheeseburgers?  Or Pizza Huts?  Should I get my burger fits filled while I am in Thailand?

I would really hate to have to break out my cooking gears, once I get back to Vietnam...  They are quite old, you know. 

Howie

Cheers for the info Howie, saves me a disapointed trip.

I've tried Pizza Hut here, albeit only one so far and while they are ok I don't think they are the same as back in the UK. Certainly the options aren't availble yet.
Domino's I've yet to try only because the first time I did so they wouldn't\couldn't deliver to my house. There actually closer than plenty of others that do.

Have you guys heard the news about "pink slime?"  It's a bunch of meat scraps and other parts (can also be found in dog food) with some chemicals thrown in.  People here (US) are finding out about it and the burger places are having to say they will stop using it.  The big fuss started when it was made public that pink slime was a major component in school lunches.  Think the news has made its way to VN?

Yeah "pink slime" was exposed(or at least brought to the attention of the masses) by celeb chef Jamie Oliver covered it.
Hopefully it may mean burgers etc will improve in quality, but it's gonna be interesting to see how it affects the price wars of fast food places.

"Pink slime"?  Now, now...  That is not very cool, fellas.  Despite its poor taste, I finished the whopper.  :huh:

Well...  As of this moment, I am still good looking :top:, nothing turned green yet...  :sosad:

Pizza Hut...  Do they have that Supreme topping and Jalapeno?  :P

Now, this is the one that I can't make, even if someone stick a gun to me.

Pizza Hut here is definitely different from the US. For example, the crust on the pizza is cardboard compared to the US-version.

Dominoes is pretty good and close to getting actual pepperoni and sausage (not cut up hot dog chunks; I'm amazed hot dog pieces are put on pizza here.)

Lord...  Hey, I am still in Bangkok!  Maybe, I should get mine here.  How about them, guys (especially you Anatta)?

Don't know about them actually despite all of these years. I figure BKK being the food mecca with the best chefs from all over the world: Italian, French, Chinese, Japanese,... (well, not Vietnamese dishes in spite of many Vietnamese living here), so why should I bother with fast food?
I do not hear my American friends complaining much about American food either. However, they don't eat McD, Pizza Hut,... There are plenty of authentic American, Tex-Mex, Mexican restaurants downtown which serve much better food.

Wild, I've had Carl's Jr here inside Vincom, but I've never had it back in America so I can't compare. I will however, say that I was extremely disappointed in it here in Vietnam - (have heard good things about the ones back home though).

I've had Dominoes, and its surprisingly not bad but not great either. Has anyone tried subway just out of curiosity?

5 Guys Burgers and Fries is an up and coming chain that's growing really fast back in the states. I wish they had those here, along with Wendys.

Thanks for the "big" help, Anatta.  :dumbom:

I did stopped at a Burger King in Bangkok; and I must say, "The whopper here tastes a lot like the one in America!" 

Anatta and Budman, I really hope that neither one of you have a hand in Whoppergate, in Vietnam...  Such a sham!!!  :dumbom::dumbom::dumbom:

The only burgers that are any good here are at the Hard Rock and the Black Cat in district 1.  Carl Jr's back in the States where a favorite of mine.  I was not overly impressed with the ones here in Vietnam.  Have not tried Burger King here yet.  Subways are a joke here.  They hardly give you any meat and cheese. Not really impressed with the Pizza Hut and Pizza Inn either.  Don't understand the ketchup on pizza thing here?  I usually get my fast food fix when I go to Thailand.  There is a great pizza place in Vung Tua called Davids.

I had BK at the airport in HCMC. Tasted just like in the states. I also like PIzza Hut in HCMC. I'm going to try Carl's Jr. just haven't had a chance to get there yet.

I had pizza at 2 places in Nha Trang and was not impressed.  I'm used to New York- and Chicago-style pizza so that spoiled me for fast food pizza.  KFC in Nha Trang was OK.  Subway in HCMC was expensive so I passed.

One other note. KFC is the same as the states except the side portions mashed, coleslaw ect are like 1/2 the size.

I think it says something about fast food here.

For example, living in the US, I was easily 80 kg and overweight. I've lost about 10 kg and looking to lose more ever since I've been here in HCM.

Over in the US, it's so easy to see so many people overweight. Here's its pretty rare.

In conclusion, be glad that the fast food here is worse.

I think you are right.  I started to eat smarter about a year ago, more veggies, no fast food, and I lost about 10kg.  But I also noticed something else.  I live in the DC area and was up in NY city a month ago.  I noticed the streets are crowded with people walking.  Almost all were in shape, very few overweight.  Americans are married to their cars.  You can even buy fast food and liquor without getting out of the car.  And in Vegas you can get married in a drive-in window.

if u guys wanna try western foods,u can come Phatty's in Ton That Thiep street.I took my friends there and they all really like:)

I didn't eat at the fast food places that much in the States. However, I do like that fix once in awhile.  Specially being over here.

Omg, I tried a pizza in Thuy Ta restaurant (Hanoi) and it's terribleeee! It's small and it tasted like cardboard. My fav pizza when I was in the states was Anthony's and pizza here in Vietnam is like trash compared to pizza over there. And the funny thing is its even more expensive?! Spaghetti here? Please, I don't even wanna think about it!

Hey gang,

I think it is time to break out the cook books...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_cxfzwkoDSqlCAc1SlGLZ1Vra-0NcJr-Pn8e8Rx3xm9smfsUv

Hey, perhaps, it is in all of us??? 

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwSs2R4jd8y0Vxvg76VrwwBoizVkmUcpbkXzXZ8Mh6U-AHhEbfgQ

Think you could have a point there Howie :)

Have to laugh after all the praises to high heaven about American 'cuisine'.

Did you read about the beetle bugs that Starbucks have promised no longer use - apparently the animal bugs upset the vegans amongst their customers.

Then there's a 'small' matter of California Mad Cow disease. The US State Department is really hustling for the US beef industry, even to the point of threatening reduction of VN seafood.

I did like the Alaska King Crabs on sale here in TP HCM, bit pricey but they did travel here by air!

If you actually like American beef better not read: Why You Should Be Worried About the California Mad Cow Case OR Mad About Cows. Just found another - The Best, Most Disgusting Reporting on Food Safety.

And before you unfurl those flags remember these are AMERICAN magazines / web sites reporting on AMERICA!

But I'll grant you, VietNam doesn't have crabs like those Alaskans.