New visa regulations????

My wife has just seen on Russian TV that Russians and Ukrainians won't be getting visas upon arrival (at the airport) anymore.

I tried to confirm this but I cannot reach someone at the Immigration Police at Cairo International Airport. Will check Sunday through my travel agent.

I called the Egyptian Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine and spoke to the Egyptian Consular Officer, and he confirmed no changes were communicated to them yet.

I even checked with the IATA visa requirements wizard and nothing changed. It still says "Holders of normal passports issued to nationals of Ukraine can obtain a visa on arrival for a max. stay of 30 days. Fee: USD 15.-." and "Holders of normal passports issued to nationals of Russian Fed. can obtain a visa on arrival for a max. stay of 30 days. Fee: USD 15.-." .....

Russian TV sometimes gives false information (like 4 months ago when it said Russian tourists will have to cover up from head to toe or would be arrested !!!) .....

Anyone can confirm or deny this? Appreciate if there are any expats/Egyptians arriving/returning to Egypt and can ask the Passport Control officer at Cairo Airport if there are new instructions regarding Russians/Ukrainians arriving at Cairo airport?

This would be a great inconvenience as I am expecting my mother-in-law for a visit soon :( .....

The Egyptian wrote:

My wife has just seen on Russian TV that Russians and Ukrainians won't be getting visas upon arrival (at the airport) anymore.

I tried to confirm this but I cannot reach someone at the Immigration Police at Cairo International Airport. Will check Sunday through my travel agent.

I called the Egyptian Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine and spoke to the Egyptian Consular Officer, and he confirmed no changes were communicated to them yet.

I even checked with the IATA visa requirements wizard and nothing changed. It still says "Holders of normal passports issued to nationals of Ukraine can obtain a visa on arrival for a max. stay of 30 days. Fee: USD 15.-." and "Holders of normal passports issued to nationals of Russian Fed. can obtain a visa on arrival for a max. stay of 30 days. Fee: USD 15.-." .....

Russian TV sometimes gives false information (like 4 months ago when it said Russian tourists will have to cover up from head to toe or would be arrested !!!) .....

Anyone can confirm or deny this? Appreciate if there are any expats/Egyptians arriving/returning to Egypt and can ask the Passport Control officer at Cairo Airport if there are new instructions regarding Russians/Ukrainians arriving at Cairo airport?

This would be a great inconvenience as I am expecting my mother-in-law for a visit soon :( .....

From Al Masry Al Youm:

"Egypt will require visas from all travelers prior to arriving in the country, ending decade-long unrestricted entry for American and other western visiters, and some other nationals, the Middle East news agency reported Thursday.

Foreigners in Egypt have already begun to face a clamping down on visa restrictions since 25 January, with some reporting that Egyptian officials have begun rejecting a second three-month visa extension for those already in the country and substituting them for one-month extensions only.

MENA quoted a spokesman for the government as saying that only tourists coming on pre-arranged package tours will have unrestricted entry to Egypt.

Mohamad Hegazy said a new government decree will require that all visitors apply for a visa from an Egyptian embassy abroad.

Hegazy did not explain the motives behind the new measure or say when the new regulation will take effect.

The move appears to be the latest salvo against free entry and residency for foreigners in Egypt following the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak in February.

Nationals of the Arab Gulf states, Latin America, Japan and other wealthy Asian countries, and Australians are among those affected by the new restrictions."

thanks for your reply.

Any idea when these changes take effect?

http://bikyamasr.com/41695/no-visas-on- … overnment/

http://lb.ua/news/2010/12/07/76910_Vlad … tmeni.html

http://ara.reuters.com/article/business … ST20110909

Apparently it is confirmed. For those who do not speak Arabic, the Reuters link says the Egyptian cabinet has canceled visas upon entry except for tour groups ....... Individuals won't be eligible for such visas.

Still no news when this new decision kicks in ..... I don't think it would kick in immediately because that would be the most stupid thing ever

i dont think this will be a smart move. getting visa to another country usually is a big turn off for people. at least i hope that the time you need to get the visa from the embassy will be shortened and it will be a swift procedure - and not too pricey!

seems like i need to start looking for another place to move :)

The Egyptian wrote:

http://ara.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idARACAE7880ST20110909

Apparently it is confirmed. For those who do not speak Arabic, the Reuters link says the Egyptian cabinet has canceled visas upon entry except for tour groups ....... Individuals won't be eligible for such visas.

Still no news when this new decision kicks in ..... I don't think it would kick in immediately because that would be the most stupid thing ever

I am working in the Tourism field and this regulations are actually not new, it was like this as far back I can remember. Whats changed ?

TurkeyForever wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

I am working in the Tourism field and this regulations are actually not new, it was like this as far back I can remember. Whats changed ?

My wife entered with a visa upon arrival in May .... and until now - before this new regulation takes effect - citizens of so many countries can enter with a visa upon entry ..... Now it means no more visa upon entry.

The Egyptian wrote:
TurkeyForever wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

My wife entered with a visa upon arrival in May .... and until now - before this new regulation takes effect - citizens of so many countries can enter with a visa upon entry ..... Now it means no more visa upon entry.

Yes this is also correct, I wonder how they are going to control this issue...

decision reversed before it even took effect !!

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent … -Egyp.aspx

Welcome to Egypt !!!

The Egyptian wrote:

Welcome to Egypt !!!

yeah welcome!!

don moe wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

Welcome to Egypt !!!

yeah welcome!!

I didn't Expext different decision...

TurkeyForever wrote:
don moe wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

Welcome to Egypt !!!

yeah welcome!!

I didn't Expext different decision...

its true

Yes, thank goodness Egypt reversed itself.  However, if you are Russian or Ukranian, it's a different story - they are cracking down on Russians and Ukranians, I heard it from a Russian friend - she thinks it's because most Egyptians think Russian girls are just working girls out for a buck.  They refused to renew her visa in the time honored fashion (LE 1000 in the palm) and after 6 years here she can't get her visa renewed.
So be careful leaving the country - if you are Russian or from any of the former Soviet Republics, you might not get back in.

lisaroscoe wrote:

Yes, thank goodness Egypt reversed itself.  However, if you are Russian or Ukranian, it's a different story - they are cracking down on Russians and Ukranians, I heard it from a Russian friend - she thinks it's because most Egyptians think Russian girls are just working girls out for a buck.  They refused to renew her visa in the time honored fashion (LE 1000 in the palm) and after 6 years here she can't get her visa renewed.
So be careful leaving the country - if you are Russian or from any of the former Soviet Republics, you might not get back in.

Lisa, nobody is cracking down on nobody. This decision was general and ALL nationalities who were eligible for visa upon arrival were affected by this decision, which was cancelled and again cancellation was also for everybody not for a specific nationality.

My wife received her visa upon arrival, then her first residence visa (6-month visa) after merely 17 days, then finally her five-year residence after 2 weeks. Nobody is cracking down on nobody. If you are eligible for a visa, you get it. If you are using "time-honored" methods, I am sorry but this is not something that should happen from the beginning and if she cannot do it anymore, that doesn't mean there is cracking down, it simply means the country and the government are getting back to the rules it should follow.

As for your friend, what kind of a visa did she have? Tourist visa? If yes, I am sorry but what country in the world gives tourist visas for 6+ years? Would Russia or Ukraine let an Egyptian live there on a tourist visa for 6 years? I highly doubt that. In ANY country in the world, there are only a few ways you can get a long-term residence visa, such as work visa (sponsored by an employer and under strict limitations), student visa, family visa (marriage to a local, sponsored by a first-degree family member ...etc.), Investor visa (if you bring in a specific amount of money to invest), real-estate visa (in some countries like Egypt you can get a residence visa if you buy an apartment with a preset minimum price) .....etc., but no way in hell could any country in the whole wide world let someone stay for 6 years non-stop on a tourist visa, which is - by the way - a privilege, not a right !

Again I have to assert, I am NOT a xenophobe, but as much as I would respect the laws wherever I am - inside or outside my home country - I would expect the same from our guests who are most welcomed as long as they respect our laws.

1000 EGP in the palm!!!

First time to hear this amount, so frankly speaking if u r Russian or from Ukraine u can come and go without any kind of troubles :)

Its getting more easy nowadays

Dude -

Lighten up.  All I did was to recount what I heard.  She's from the Ukraine and this is her story.

Sorry if it bothers you.  She told me this in August, long before the visa brouhaha of last week - it specifically concerned a particular group that happens to be a large demographic in Egypt and she was told by certain officials that there was going to be a crack down.

They told her no more visas, and yes, for 6 years they took her money and gave her visas. Go figure - the government is corrupt.  Of course this would not happen in the  USA, don't know about the former Soviet Republics, I think they're pretty corrupt too.  The USA is also corrupt, but heavily regulated.

As far as it getting easier, what she told me was that for Russians and Ukrainians it was going to be more difficult to come and go - nothing like before when a little baksheesh did the trick.  She told me this long before the news about visa restrictions.  I guess since she's Ukrainian and was told this by whoever at the ministry then she ought to know.

And how it's relevant that no other country in the world allows a 6 year tourist visa, I'm not sure - even Egypt doesn't allow them but obviously she got around the rules - and that, sir, is not because SHE did something illegal but because YOUR government is corrupt.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I'm just passing on the information.  Take what you need and leave the rest.

First of all, Russians and Ukrainians who "come and go" legally still can come and go easily. My mother-in-law is coming next month and we'll extend her visa for one more month (we asked about this) and everything will be hopefully fine. My wife (and my mother-in-law) are both Ukrainians.

Second, if she did something illegal for 6 years (and she knows it's illegal, and having corruption in the government is no excuse and BOTH persons are at fault, corrupt official and the "customer") doesn't mean she can take it for granted forever !

And again, a visa is a privilege not a right and any government in the whole wide world shall be free to deem anyone welcome or not welcome to stay.

When developed/western countries do it, they are protecting their economy and their unemployed citizens, but when a developing country does it, it's "xenophobia", "discrimination", "unfair", and "cracking down on working girls !".

No one said you were xenophobic Mr. The Egyptian, you are the only one to mention "xenophobia", "discrimination", "unfair" - I never used any of those terms, nor did I accuse you of being any of those things.

Let me repeat:l I said was what she told me, and she was told there would be a crack down on Ukrainians. 

So lighten up dude, I'm just passing along information.

Peace friends :)