Registration of a forreign marriage for a divorce in Belgium

When we got married in 2017, we were foreigners, so we registered the marriage certificate in our home country. Before that (in 2014-2015), we registered in a Flander city hall as 'cohabitations.'

Recently, my wife applied for a ground divorce case in Flander Court, where we have lived for many years. I attended the court hearing a few weeks ago, and the court hearing has been suspended for my written argument.

A few days ago, my wife asked me to bring the translated copy of our foreign marriage certificate to register in Flanders city hall. She explained to me that I hold Belgian citizenship, but she does not.

So I need clarification if I have to do the marriage registration in city hall, and I do not intend to move on to the divorce, an irreversible breakdown divorce?

When we got married in 2017, we were foreigners, so we registered the marriage certificate in our home country. Before that (in 2014-2015), we registered in a Flander city hall as 'cohabitations.'
Recently, my wife applied for a ground divorce case in Flander Court, where we have lived for many years. I attended the court hearing a few weeks ago, and the court hearing has been suspended for my written argument.

A few days ago, my wife asked me to bring the translated copy of our foreign marriage certificate to register in Flanders city hall. She explained to me that I hold Belgian citizenship, but she does not.

So I need clarification if I have to do the marriage registration in city hall, and I do not intend to move on to the divorce, an irreversible breakdown divorce?

-@batmanBelgium

Hey. I do not understand your question. I mean how she can ask for divorce if you were not married according to Belgian law. In fact you were cohabitating with her, i think she can end cohabitation if she wants. Divorce is for married couple and not cohabitating couple.

@batmanBelgium

I second what the above colleague ABS25 mentioned.

Since you are not registered as married in Belgium there is no grounds for a divorce here. Since you are cohabitating just need to close that.

If you register your marriage, then for European law you are married and then she has the upper hand for asking the divorce and possibly further financial assistance.

You will need to get divorced in your home country becuase if she wants to re-marry she will need a statement from you home country stating that she is not married. There's no point registering your marriage here if you're just going to get divorced. Just end the cohabitation.