Need some advice on deposit policy for weddings.

Hi Guys!

Hope everyone is well, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with wedding vendors in Morroco. I was planning my wedding in Marrakech and unfortunately me and my fiancé are no longer together. The wedding was scheduled in 2 months and I have paid deposits to multiple vendors which in total is about £5000.

I have paid these costs myself and I am sure my fiancé will not compensate any losses. He will not even help to try and recover the deposits from these vendors. I have spoken to the Villa and Caterer who have told me that all deposits are non refundable.

Unfortunately this was not disclosed at the time of giving the deposit and I failed to ask which is my fault but obviously never thought things would turn out like this.

If you have any idea how my losses can be recovered even slightly i would highly appreciate it. (Besides the deposits for the wedding I have been making multiple trips to meet vendors and do the civil marriage process).

Thank you so much!

@mishiii do you have receipts for your deposits? should have been made clear at the time of paying the deposit

@MrT786

yes i  do  have receipts but  they don't have  the  terms written   they are  more like an  invoice

You have a difference between an "acompte" and an "avance". By law, the "acompte" is not refundable. If you can send me a scan of the receipts, I could check if everything is in order. If not, you might have a way of helping the vendors to be more understanding.

£50.000 is quite an amount. Are you sure your fiance or her family don't have a part in it ?

@mishiii getting your deposit back from any private vendor is hard at the best of times. unless you go down the legal route. have you tried the softly softly approach? sorry i cant be more help, but i'm sure someone on here with more knowledge will reply. lots of helpful people here.

@MA_O_Maroc  yes  the  invoices are all in my name because i  have  paid for them.  when i  asked  for  refund or partial  refund they told me its not  possible  but there is  two  months until the wedding its  not like  im a  last minute cancellation

@mishiii

That's not a reply to what I asked :) Just send me a scan or photo of the invoices.

The fact that it's not a last minute cancellation is not "that important". Because in two month, you'll be just out of Ramadan, and it's not sure they can find new customers, Expensive weddings are booked long time ahead.

@MA_O_Maroc apologies i meant to answer your question about my fiance

@mishiii

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. That must have been really frustrating.

In Morocco, they're supposed to have a cancellation policy on their websites or at least on their invoices. You should check there for more information.

But to be real with you, getting your deposits back is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. They know most people won't bother getting a lawyer in Morocco because it's expensive and a hassle.

I'd suggest trying to ask for more understanding, but if that doesn't work, just chalk it up to a bad experience.

🙏

@ExpatServicesMarrakech i  have just invoices with no  refund or  cancellation policy   unfortunately

No need to hire a lawyer; most are not much better here, and certainly not for 500€. The risk is high, and you might end up losing that amount as well.

You can easily corner those vendors by pointing out that they haven't stated any privacy policy. This means any client could cancel even a minute before the event starts.

If you want, you can message me, and I'll send you a draft you can send to all of them. I just want to help, no charge. 🤍

Or you could just invite family and friends to a party weekend in Marrakech. That would recoup some of you losses...

@mishiii

if invoice dont mention the terms off cancellation ?,then you can go straight to the local police and  request them to help you ,they may assist you to recover it .

@jeffrushka haha we thought of this but the expenses are not worth it 🥴 its too expensive for just a party