Thinking of moving to Mauritius but have some questions

Hi all 🤗

my husband, 5 month old daughter and myself are looking seriously into moving to Mauritius but I have some questions. We are South African but currently living in Europe.

• we have two dogs and two cats. Is it possible to take the dogs for walks on the beach etc? I have been to Mauritius a few times on holiday, so I'm worried about the stray dogs attacking our dogs?
  • what are the product availabilities like for babies? I was having a look online but can't seem to find much in the way of clothing options, car seats, general baby products etc. is online shopping not as common and maybe what I'm looking for I would need to physically go to the shops there?
  • is the water safe for drinking and bathing? Thinking mainly of my baby who when she bath inevitably gets water in her mouth
  • if you can't get something in Mauritius, is it easy to ship from South Africa or Dubai?
  • What is the general view of breastfeeding in public there?
  • in terms of general illnesses etc what would we need to be careful of when bringing a baby? She will only be part way through vaccine schedule by then
  • are there any Facebook groups I should join or Instagram pages to follow that may help?

i probably have so many more questions but that's all I can think of for now 🙈

what are the product availabilities like for babies? I was having a look online but can't seem to find much in the way of clothing options, car seats, general baby products etc. is online shopping not as common and maybe what I'm looking for I would need to physically go to the shops there?

yes there is no so much online shop but you can find all you need here in Mauritius

except the fact that all new and fashion item wil be more expensive

there is website like mybaby.mu and you can find second hand things in weshare.mu and in facebook group line "mum des hauts" or babystufll buy and sells..or somethinf like that

to by  things for babies it is easier to go to shops like Ah ling, Meem, Orchestra, Kiabi, Okaidi

there you will find all you need

to be honest, bring your car seat if you have a good one , here it is more expensive

is the water safe for drinking and bathing? Thinking mainly of my baby who when she bath inevitably gets water in her mouth

my baby takes bath without any problem, but to drink at the beginning, we gave her mineral water and now  since her 6 months, boiled water without any problem

if you can't get something in Mauritius, is it easy to ship from South Africa or Dubai?

I think the transport will you cost a lot, in Mauritius you can find most of less everything

What is the general view of breastfeeding in public there?

people are very discreet, but I have saw mother breastfeeding in the street,

in fact there is no general wiew and it depends the community you came from

i am quite sure that the muslim and indian community disaprove it

in terms of general illnesses etc what would we need to be careful of when bringing a baby? She will only be part way through vaccine schedule by then

my baby was born in Mauritius and has to be vaccinated to be accepted in a nursery

be careful at the sun, the mosquitos.. like in another tropical country.....

are there any Facebook groups I should join or Instagram pages to follow that may help?

I just know  facebook group if you want to buy or sell something like I mention you above

@Littleone626 shipping and vat & duty make sending purchases to Mauritius expensive, depending on how you do it you can expect the costs to be 50% to 100% of the item cost.

You will get nearly everything that you need on the island, for special/expensive items you might shop when visiting family in SA.

The supermarkets have products from France, the UK and SA.

In my opinion the water is as safe as SA. The first thing I did was install a water filter as that is our preference. Send me a direct message if you want to know of a supplier or two.

We moved here from Dubai and you just have to get over the Amazon experience (trap).

Enjoy The Island rather.

Hi all 🤗
my husband, 5 month old daughter and myself are looking seriously into moving to Mauritius but I have some questions. We are South African but currently living in Europe.

we have two dogs and two cats. Is it possible to take the dogs for walks on the beach etc? I have been to Mauritius a few times on holiday, so I'm worried about the stray dogs attacking our dogs?
what are the product availabilities like for babies? I was having a look online but can't seem to find much in the way of clothing options, car seats, general baby products etc. is online shopping not as common and maybe what I'm looking for I would need to physically go to the shops there?
is the water safe for drinking and bathing? Thinking mainly of my baby who when she bath inevitably gets water in her mouth
if you can't get something in Mauritius, is it easy to ship from South Africa or Dubai?
What is the general view of breastfeeding in public there?
in terms of general illnesses etc what would we need to be careful of when bringing a baby? She will only be part way through vaccine schedule by then
are there any Facebook groups I should join or Instagram pages to follow that may help?

i probably have so many more questions but that's all I can think of for now 🙈
-@Littleone626

Hi :)

I do not have any pets but me and my fiancé were looking over the past few weeks where to organize baby-stuff and in my opinion you have at the big stores like Super U everything you need. Mainly the negative side is that you do not have a wide range of different types for example car seats or you pay more than back in Europe. Last time at Super U there were 2-3 different car seats for (in my opinion) good price. Of course there are little stores around the island but they are more expensive. I decided for myself that I will buy everything that fits in a suitcase in Austria on Amazon and will just buy big things and clothes here in Mauritius.

For example: I am working from home and  was buying a HP monitor during the prime days on amazon für EUR 80,00. in Mauritius I would pay at least MUR 10.000 for an older and smaller version. To sum up: you get more for your money in Europe and have better consumer rights. If the monitor is not working for any reason I just bring it back to Europe where I get either a new one or partly money back. Here in Mauritius I would have to send it back to China or somewhere else and it takes weeks/month and after all nothing happens and I have to buy a new one.

I don't mind buying clothes over and over again when they are too small but for equipment that should last longer I prefer buying it in Europe and bring it with me in a suitcase. But only because I have enough clothes in Mauritius and travel with an almost empty suitcase so that I can bring things from Europe.

For the other questions I unfortunately can not help.