Managing child-related expenses in Morocco

Hello everyone,

Embarking on an expat journey to Morocco with children presents unique challenges, particularly concerning the financial considerations related to raising kids. Whether you are planning to relocate to Morocco or have already begun your expat life, understanding these aspects will help you manage your budget and ensure the well-being of your children in their new environment.

To kick off the discussion, we have gathered a few questions. We encourage you to share your experiences and insights on the topic:

How do the costs of raising a child in Morocco differ from your home country? What is the most significant expense related to childhood in Morocco?

Are child-related services in Morocco affordable?

Is there any financial support available for expat families, or is it reserved only for local citizens?

What is the estimated cost of medical expenses and routine healthcare for your child?

Are there affordable options for child activities, such as sports clubs or music lessons?

What are your tips to manage your budget effectively in Morocco  (clothing and equipment rentals, swaps, parent groups, etc.)?

We look forward to hearing your responses and testimonials on this topic.
Thank you for your contributions.

Cheryl
The Expat.com Team

How do the costs of raising a child in Morocco differ from your home country? What is the most significant expense related to childhood in Morocco?

The cost of living in Morocco certainly is not worth it. I have 7 children, 4 born in Morocco and I can say that not only is 7 children expensive so I'm sure of exactly how much I spend and what on.

I'm from Australia and in comparison living costs for children is more in Morocco.

Are child-related services in Morocco affordable?

No.

If you send your child to a government school they will be bullied, exposed to knife crime, acid attacks and pyrography. Male teachers have been caught offering tutoring to girls for favours...etc

Private school is as expensive as the west, good curriculum but same horrible system and underqualified teachers most of the time.

Is there any financial support available for expat families, or is it reserved only for local citizens?

most locals dont get financial support!

Government hospital has no running water in the toilet, that says alot.

Unless a moroccan is a widow, disabled or husband was in the military, there is nothing.

Charities operate in Morocco from Moroccans abroad and local.

What is the estimated cost of medical expenses and routine healthcare for your child?

a GP visit which is often not worth it is about £9

a paediatrician in a clinic will cost 400 dirham ( £35)

Xray is about 200 to 400 dirham ( £18 -£35)

blood tests vary alot because it depends what your tested for but white and red blood cells are tested together, the price depends on the laboratory too that will cost about 200-400 dirhams ( £18-£35)

Surgery with a few stitches ( minor) will set you back about £250-£400) minimum.

Antibiotics is about £20-£30 for a course.

All medicines must be purchased and isn't part of the Dr fee or clinic fee.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen are a few £ each.

Dentist cost about 200 to 400 dirham per visit for the Consultation.

Composite fillings will cost between 250 to 600 dirham.

Are there affordable options for child activities, such as sports clubs or music lessons?

these things exist, are they affordable, that depends if you are upper middle class then yes. But once again, in australia these things are free as part of school or community groups.

I dont see the cost is worth the quality.

My kids did karate

What are your tips to manage your budget effectively in Morocco  (clothing and equipment rentals, swaps, parent groups, etc.)?

Decent clothing in Morocco costs the same or more as the west. Which is baffling, don't buy your kids clothes in the souk, it's cheaper and looks good but there is 0 regulations for fire safety clothing, chemicals etc and often legs or arms aren't the same length, sizes are off and quality isn't worth it.

Buy vegetables from your souk but nappies and washing powder or cleaning items from supermarkets.

Often supermarkets have sales for flour, cleaning supplies and washing powder but generally they are cheaper.

I also suggest reading the ingredients on what you buy as there is alot of kids drinks and foods from shops that contain ingredients banned in the UK, Europe, Australia and America.

When you purchase a medicine from a pharmacy, before you open it make a quick Google search and make sure it's not a banned item abroad too.

Check the use by date aswell.

Morocco and africa in general are given expired vaccinations and often sample medicines.

Medicines that are banned abroad aren't destroyed but sent to Africa and other countries like Brazil.

There was a huge issue in Morocco 2 years ago when a test vaccine was being given to baby's without the parents knowing it was a sample or test vaccine. This resulted in the death of alot of baby's.

The article may still be on the moroccan World news website.

I would suggest, and advise that you really consider why you would want to raise your children in Morocco and if its really worth it not just financially but for their own benefit and health.

@aishahm are you still living in Morocco? From your post it makes me wonder why anyone would live there though surprisingly enough I know many who prefer it to the west.

My husband and I are considering a move with our 5 children. He is Moroccan but we would homeschool inshallah. One of our main reasons is to be close to family support which we don't have here in the US.

Does anyone know if there are audiologists in Meknes or Fez? One of our children as well as myself have hearing aids that occasionally need to be adjusted. If anyone has gone to them can you share your experience?

Hi,

Yes I still live here.

I currently homeschool my 6 children.

I have to find things online to print and make some things myself using apps etc.

I'm in marrakech, marrakech is probably one of the most expensive places to live in Morocco although keep in mind, people think its a 3rd world country it should be cheap. Its not.

Some things seem cheap or are cheap and other things overpriced.

I would say you can find an audiologist in fez, that is a bigger city than meknes but I don't know if meknes would have one or not.

Alot of people ( women I made friends with who are moroccan born westerners or reverts to islam) struggled to stay here because of the cultural differences, the interference in their lives from locals or the cost.

When i say interference I mean, people see even though they wear hijjab or a face veil they get hounded by beggars when they go out.

Neighbours who are very nosey and the difficulty to make sincere friends who aren't another foreigner.

I'm trying to leave, just got my kids passports after 2 years of dealing with moroccan courts, townhall and just rubbish. All of that to get british passports!

Honestly, alot of people come here, yes, they stay a few years and leave.

Most who stay own a home, have health insurance and are well off or don't have kids or many kids.

I know about 8 families who have left and didn't last longer than 5 to 10 years.

It's not a place I'd say to raise kids anymore either.

Moroccan children can be very uncouth, violent and seem to be very willing to sexually exploit eachother.

The people are very hard to deal with, they shout and get angry or don't have the understanding of ' how to deal with customers or people' like we are use to in the west.

The education, socially and in school is very poor.

I know you said you will homeschool but consider who your children will be looking upto and getting their examples from.

When I moved here Morocco was much more ' isalmic' and respectful.

Now, I prefer to enlist my younger kids in mainstream schools in the uk and homeschool my older ones so they can have a ' normal' life and have opportunities when older.

I'd suggest, come for like 2 years as a plan so your kids get the experience and all but then you can return and you wouldn't feel like you failed or gave up but rather did what you set out to do.

You can always re evaluate...

I'm not trying to talk bad about Morocco or Moroccans but I feel no one ever really replies to these things or in depth.

Had I known what I know now... I wouldn't have come here.

@aishahm jazkahallah khair for your reply.

I appreciate the in depth information.

Wa iyyaki