Contemplating moving to Mauritius

An American looking to move to the beautiful island of Mauritius. I'll be visiting the island in a couple of months. Obviously, I'll need to meet the various Visa requirements for residency which means finding a good bank and then I'll need to find a great place to live. It's just me, so renting a room or sharing an apartment would work fine. No need buying anything now until I figure out what part of the island I want to hang my hat. I'm a patient man. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello mcblckbrn,

Welcome on board !

Your plan is totally realistic and you can definitely find a house share or an apartment.

Have you been to Mauritius before ?

To live here, you will either need to work (get a contract), create a business (investor permit) or retire.

You can also live here for 1 year (renewable) on the premium visa intended for digital nomads or people who want to stay on the island for more than 180 days up to 1 year (without working here).

Do you have any precise questions on how we can guide you ?

For a good start, we always recommend members to read the Living in Mauritius Guide.

All the very best

Bhavna

Hello. Welcome to the forum and to Mauritius. Regarding the various visas, please get basic information from the edb.mu site. Mainly depends on your age, whether you want to work or retire, and how much money you can invest in Mauritius at some point.

You could message me if you wish.