Internet fibre

Before we bought a property here on the island we were told that internet are excellent and fibre are avaiable all over the island. Great and unpleasant we were when we do only qualify for fibre once we have permanent residence. Infortunately the 4G on the "airbox" is so bad that can hardly stream anything. Any suggestions how to solve the problem?

@banusvanderwalt

Hi there,

I am just curious, do you already have a land-line with Mauritius Telecom, which is My.t? Because I thought that all that you needed was a utility bill for proof of address, a valid passport or a working permit for non-citizen. Did you submit your application online or in store?

Sometimes there are tendencies to get mixed information. I remember when we were trying to get a simple bank account for my wife, I first tried SBM Bank, she was categorically refused and was told that only Mauritian citizens or Permanent residents can get a bank account, then we went to MCB, they were confused as how to process the application because she did not have a Mauritian ID card and was again told that she could not get a bank account.

A few weeks later we tried again but this time we made an appointment with a bank manager and spoke to him directly and he advised us exactly what documents to bring and the application was processed and she got her bank account with MCB, and now have one with ABSA bank and HSBC as well without any issues.

So, I would suggest for you to try again or even call their head office. On the Mauritius Telecom website it clearly says that non-Mauritian can use their valid passport or work permit. If all don't work, there is Starlink that is coming early 2024 or wait for permanent resident.

Good luck.

@banusvanderwalt

That was the one disappointment i had when i came back to Mauritius 3 months ago. it was getting on my nerves all the time. You can always upgrade it which makes it better. The 4g on the phone is just as bad as well. Mauritius can do a lot better when it comes to internet connection.

@InherentVyas

Just want to ask you how is HSBC's service here in Mauritius?

Thank you so much for your feedback. Much appreciated!! Unfortunately I do not have a landline in Mauritius but a valid passport and a utility account. The property was registered in my my name in February already and we have complied with all the conditions for a permanent residence card. We even received an e-mail confirming that everything is in order and that the residence card will be issued shortly, I showed all these "evidence" to Telecom but the answer was almost a brutal NO! We were looking so much forward to the Mauritian lifestyle but unfortunately things like this spoil your appetite for a new life in the new country.! Nobody could give me any reason for this apparently new law , From my perspective  there is just no justification for treating investors who spent millions of Dollars like that. A real petty issue that leaves a bitter taste!

@banusvanderwalt

Sorry you have had such a rough start, once you have your Fibre it's generally good but the standard WiFi is rubbish, once the Fibre is installed we can help you with whole property WiFi if you need help.

Some of the bureaucracy can be a bit challenging and take a bit longer but it is a beautiful place to like with amazing people .

pm me if you need help

cheers

Steve

Thank you Steve. Will definitely call you when i need assistance.

@InherentVyas Similar situation as SBI last October: I needed a local bank account for my resident permit. But they told me, I must have a resident permit for opening a local bank account. I said "No, the other way - I need a bank account for the permit." Anyway, this bank was unable to do the neccessary. Find the mistake!

Internet is slow with fibre and we have 50mb's. Opened a VIP bank account with ABSA using our holiday visitors visa.

No permit needed

We settle in Mauritius. We landed yesterday and came straight to My.T. Connections IS essentiel for us.

We are not resident yet, they asked a letter from the house owner authorizing the installation.

They also have a look at our working visas predemands.

Fibre is already installed, it is very efficient.

We havent checked the connection yet.