Retiring to mauritius

My wife and i are moving to mauritius in the next few months from spain permit permitting. We will be renting until our villa in spain has sold . We are bringing our three dogs and have a few questions .

what are the rules concerning dog walking and disposal of dog mess?

what are the vets like ?

do vets run a cremation service for dogs where you get your dogs ashes back ?

what is the postal system like do you need to get a po box or does post get to your property ?

what are internet speeds like ?

we are looking on lexproperty and property cloud are there any other sites besides here ?

we are looking to rent at around the £1000 mark is this realistic as we have never rented before?

i look forward to your comments all and hope this finds you all in the sun happy and well

Hello BowcoH,

Welcome on board !

I'll try answering some of your questions though I don't know much about vets/dog care.

You will find rules and regulations concerning dogs in the Animal Welfare act under Section 32. Obligations of dog owners : Animal Welfare Act

Your dog should be kept on leash when on a walk.

Postal system : The postman will deliver your letters etc at home. Have a word with the owner, he will inform the postman.

Some parcels are kept at the post office and you will receive a note to come pick them up.

Internet speed is alright. You will find more details in the Living in Mauritius Guide > Page 172

In which region of the island are you looking forward to rent ? Feel free to have a look at the ads posted in the Housing in Mauritius section.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna  thankyou for your reply most helpful looking forward to getting to mauritius

@BowcoH welcome. I see you are from England but live in Spain, fantastic. Having visited the Alicante area recently, I can say that life here is different, but in a nice way. Helpful people especially if you try and learn the language although you will be fine with French. Your rental budget will get you a nice house in a nice area. I hope you have visited already to see the island.

Regarding dogs - there is important paperwork to complete before you can import an animal, not to mention vaccines etc.

The striking difference between the two countries is the greenery all around.

Regards

I am sure you have checked out the edb website for information about the different types of visas available. I think the 'retirement' visa may be the one for you.

@Tookays

thankyou for your reply

my wife knows some french and im trying to learn the niceties of creole but discovered its better to learn in country rather than on the net

dogs are all under an import company sorting paperwork and they have always been vaccinated chipped etc it all paperwork and waiting now lol 

@BowcoH you will be fine. Have you been looking for accomodation?

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : Promoting your services is not allowed on the forum neither looking for clients. We are a non commercial forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@arcadia54

Hi, I hope you are well.

Can we please tell me where the development is?

Thanks, John

@John0356 Hello john , ***

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : Advertising own services
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Please note that the forum should stay free from any kind of advertising. We offer a free platform to members and do not want any kind of commercial ads/services etc on the forum.

Please use the private messaging system for further exchange.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

@Tookays  we have visited 3 times in the past and are looking forward to settling down my wife is on a property recce june 11 staying at the westin by time she returns we should have at least somewhere to live

@Tookays yes on lexpress and property cloud

@BowcoH You should be able to find something reasonable at the level of GBP 1000, which translates into  55,000 Rupees.